The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

A return to normality (as in life BC) will be the cause of irreversible damage. Social distancing is here for a long time, I'm afraid.

I disagree and everyone saying this is the new norm is just delivering a self for-filling prophecy and now is all a little bit of the Emperors new clothes For me. I believe if we go back to normal tomorrow, there will be no new wave no new spike, it’s done. This is just my opinion and I’ll adhere to the rules like most others, but I truly believe we are doing far more harm to people continuing to live like this. 

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Ever had a 5 hour journey with a toddler in a car? After the first 15 minutes of "Are we there yet?" and "I've left teddy", you suddenly realise that everything within 50 metres of the little basket must be an emetic. That first whiff of kiddy puke and the damp feeling at the back of your neck tells you that it's already time for the first stop.

How about 4+hours, Derby to Newquay, Wife and a 2 year and 7 year old...in a Brown Mini 1000 and cases on the roof...wow what a journey that was, Happily no puke ?

7 minutes ago, TramRam said:

How about 4+hours, Derby to Newquay, Wife and a 2 year and 7 year old...in a Brown Mini 1000 and cases on the roof...wow what a journey that was, Happily no puke ?

You did well, getting from Derby to Newquay in a Mini, let alone in doing it in so short a time. The first time I drove to Newquay was in 1972 in a Mk 1 Cortina, and it took 10 hours.

30 minutes ago, Eddie said:

You did well, getting from Derby to Newquay in a Mini, let alone in doing it in so short a time. The first time I drove to Newquay was in 1972 in a Mk 1 Cortina, and it took 10 hours.

I did say 4+most likely closer to 5 hours, What was the the M5 like in 72?, No M42, Also the Dual carriage way ie the A30 was an A road, But a car that you could swing a cat in aye ?

49 minutes ago, TramRam said:

I did say 4+most likely closer to 5 hours, What was the the M5 like in 72?, No M42, Also the Dual carriage way ie the A30 was an A road, But a car that you could swing a cat in aye ?

Getting from here to Cornwall was really a bit of a nightmare. From Derby you would get the A38 to Birmingham, get on the M6 at Spaghetti Junction and then on the M5, or go straight through the centre (I can't remember if the Aston expressway was open then). From Leicestershire, we would go on the A453 to Tamworth, then pick up the A38. The M5 from J4 to J9 was only 2 lanes, and an absolute mess of lorries.

After a couple of motorway trips there and back, when the world and his wife used to go to Newquay and Perranporth for the surfing, we started making the journey avoiding the M5 like the plague. There were a couple of choices - M1 down to Crick/Weedon Beck (J18 if I remember), then pick up the A361 through Banbury, Daventry and down to Wiltshire where you cross the Thames at the wonderfully-named Halfpenny Bridge at Lechlade (my car broke down on it once), then Swindon (Christ, it's all coming back to me) and on to Devon - Tiverton and then, the biggest bottleneck of them all, Okehampton. Beyond there, it was the A30 all the way through Launceston and Bodmin to Indian Queens (another notorious bottleneck) and on to the A392 to Newquay if we were going on the North coast.

6 hours driving through the night, but totally worth it. When my kids were toddlers, they would kip all the way down, the missus's job was to sort tapes out for the cassette player (ah, the old C90s, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Frank Zappa etc), and I would get us to Newquay or Perranporth by about 7:00 am. If it was nice, they would go on the beach, I would grab a croissant and bacon, eat that and get my head down in the car until it was time to check in at the caravan site.

19 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Getting from here to Cornwall was really a bit of a nightmare. From Derby you would get the A38 to Birmingham, get on the M6 at Spaghetti Junction and then on the M5, or go straight through the centre (I can't remember if the Aston expressway was open then). From Leicestershire, we would go on the A453 to Tamworth, then pick up the A38. The M5 from J4 to J9 was only 2 lanes, and an absolute mess of lorries.

After a couple of motorway trips there and back, when the world and his wife used to go to Newquay and Perranporth for the surfing, we started making the journey avoiding the M5 like the plague. There were a couple of choices - M1 down to Crick/Weedon Beck (J18 if I remember), then pick up the A361 through Banbury, Daventry and down to Wiltshire where you cross the Thames at the wonderfully-named Halfpenny Bridge at Lechlade (my car broke down on it once), then Swindon (Christ, it's all coming back to me) and on to Devon - Tiverton and then, the biggest bottleneck of them all, Okehampton. Beyond there, it was the A30 all the way through Launceston and Bodmin to Indian Queens (another notorious bottleneck) and on to the A392 to Newquay if we were going on the North coast.

6 hours driving through the night, but totally worth it. When my kids were toddlers, they would kip all the way down, the missus's job was to sort tapes out for the cassette player (ah, the old C90s, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Frank Zappa etc), and I would get us to Newquay or Perranporth by about 7:00 am. If it was nice, they would go on the beach, I would grab a croissant and bacon, eat that and get my head down in the car until it was time to check in at the caravan site.

That brought back some memories,  Eddie. We drove down to Penzance in Cornwall in 1978, year after we got married. It looked easy in the map-book but as it was peak holiday season (factory shutdown so holidays had to be taken that week) took us about 12 hours! 

I'm very much in favour of your tape selection to keep you awake.

1 hour ago, TramRam said:

We lived in belper and dad's parents lived in Yeovil so we were veterans of the M5 route.

If you could find the blooming end of it around west Bromwich/Dudley without getting diverted and lost in walsall that was a good start.

After a stop probably at frankley services just south of bromsgrove you got the 2-lane stretch through Worcestershire and Gloucestershire, then booted off it again cos the Bridge over the Avon wasnt finished. 

You picked it up again just south of Bristol and we left it at Bridgewater. 

5 hours typically. And you were barely 1/2 way to Cornwall.....

Daily Mail headline tomorrow is "What planet are they on?". When you lose the support of the daily mail and the guardian, now that is embarrassing. Christ, not even Theresa May was that much of clown. 

3 minutes ago, SouthStandDan said:

Daily Mail headline tomorrow is "What planet are they on?". When you lose the support of the daily mail and the guardian, now that is embarrassing. Christ, not even Theresa May was that much of clown. 

Yes, but the banner across the top of the front page features the real big story of the day - The Hairy Bikers and their "Diet to help you beat Corona".

Statins and chips, anyone?

9 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

I cant see how they can keep places in lockdown after this I think damage been done.

Because we don't lockdown just because we were told to, motivation to lockdown should come from the desire to look after friends and family and the general public, it doesn't matter what the hypocrites in parliament are doing, to break lockdown just to spite them would be silly.

Archived