The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Maybe not the breaking news that some of you want...

I did say, moments after the news broke about Cummings and Goings in Durham, that it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference, so I won't be holding my breath. It will be interesting to see whether there are any appeals from people, faced with fines for breaking lockdown regulations, over the forthCummings days and weeks.

Not to be overly critical of the furlough scheme, as I think it's been pretty much the only success this government has had during this crisis, but it's easy to do handouts... it's much harder to raise taxes in a fair way to pay for it all once it's come to an end.

As a saver, talk of negative interest rates doesn't sit too well with me either.

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I did say, moments after the news broke about Cummings and Goings in Durham, that it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference, so I won't be holding my breath. It will be interesting to see whether there are any appeals from people, faced with fines for breaking lockdown regulations, over the forthCummings days and weeks.

This will be another attempt to put a lid on this. Boris didn't do it yesterday, so this will be a public apology statement. 

Then we have to wait and see how the apology plays with the press and public opinion in general. 

1 minute ago, therealhantsram said:

This will be another attempt to put a lid on this. Boris didn't do it yesterday, so this will be a public apology statement. 

Then we have to wait and see how the apology plays with the press and public opinion in general. 

I’m more interested how we get out of lockdown and avoid a massive recession and job losses etc .

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. His heart sank as he thought of the enormous power arrayed against him, the ease with which any Party intellectual would overthrow him in debate, the subtle arguments which he would not be able to understand, much less answer. And yet he was in the right! They were wrong and he was right."

George Orwell, 1984

2 minutes ago, Curtains said:

I’m more interested how we get out of lockdown and avoid a massive recession and job losses etc .

Lockdown's over. Cummings made sure of that. Nothing the government say or do will change that inescapable fact. Herd immunity and another 100,000 deaths before Christmas here we come - and some will say 'totally worth it'. That's the thing about collateral damage - it is swept under the carpet - even under the carpet bombing.

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Lockdown's over. Cummings made sure of that. Nothing the government say or do will change that inescapable fact. Herd immunity and another 100,000 deaths before Christmas here we come - and some will say 'totally worth it'. That's the thing about collateral damage - it is swept under the carpet - even under the carpet bombing.

Excuse me but herd immunity isn’t the way. 

No one knows how long covid 19 antibodies last if at all. 

5 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Excuse me but herd immunity isn’t the way. 

No one knows how long covid 19 antibodies last if at all. 

You know that, I know that, the scientists know that, anyone with half a brain knows that. Strangely enough, the government's chief advisor and the prime minister are oblivious to that fact.

Just now, Eddie said:

You know that, I know that, the scientists know that, anyone with half a brain knows that. Strangely enough, the government's chief advisor and the prime minister are oblivious to that fact.

No that’s just politicising the Covid 19 epidemic.

If you want to do that it’s fine by me. 

Just now, Curtains said:

You see this is the mentality of people like you. 

I wouldn’t mind the Labour Party having a go at cocking things up. 

After all the money has gone. 

How utterly predictable. It would have been far worse under Labour, praise the Tories.

I'm NOT a Labour supporter. I have voted Labour in general elections the same number of times I voted Conservative - once.

'People like me' are the people who said, from the very start, that this government's approach was an utter disaster. Now, when I point out that their own arrogance is compounding and worsening that disaster, it's my fault.

Like I said, how utterly predictable you are. Typical Tory - blame somebody else while you sit there wringing your hands.

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

How utterly predictable. It would have been far worse under Labour, praise the Tories.

I'm NOT a Labour supporter. I have voted Labour in general elections the same number of times I voted Conservative - once.

'People like me' are the people who said, from the very start, that this government's approach was an utter disaster. Now, when I point out that their own arrogance is compounding and worsening that disaster, it's my fault.

Like I said, how utterly predictable you are. Typical Tory - blame somebody else while you sit there wringing your hands.

I was referring to the last time Labour left office they left a note saying we have spent all the money. 

The economic situation after Covid19 will be far worse I’m afraid. 

The economy will need good management.

Peoples lives are more important but a long lockdown and recession will also leave people suffering 

Archived