The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, SouthStandDan said:

Daily Mail headline tomorrow is "What planet are they on?". When you lose the support of the daily mail and the guardian, now that is embarrassing. Christ, not even Theresa May was that much of clown. 

Theresa May wasn't a clown. She was handed a poisoned chalice and was repeatedly stabbed in the back by Johnson and Cummings so they could get power. She didn't have much charisma and came across poorly frequently.

She wasn't total liar though. She didn't have zero integrity. 

The irony with Johnson and his so-called charisma is that he is a pretty poor communicator and below average and speaking in parliament. If he was some some golden tongued snake oil salesman, then fair enough if people fell for him. But he just rambles on about nothing and has always look amateur.

Anyone think he might be back in the fridge for the next PMQs?

17 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Because we don't lockdown just because we were told to, motivation to lockdown should come from the desire to look after friends and family and the general public, it doesn't matter what the hypocrites in parliament are doing, to break lockdown just to spite them would be silly.

But a lot people will think now stuff them if they can do what they want so can we.

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

Just looks like it was taken from a different angle to the Channel 4 one posted a little earlier today

A bunch of dheads calling out a dhead doesn’t excuse the latter from being a dhead 

7 hours ago, SouthStandDan said:

Daily Mail headline tomorrow is "What planet are they on?". When you lose the support of the daily mail and the guardian, now that is embarrassing. Christ, not even Theresa May was that much of clown. 

Earlier on this year i think Cummings chucked out the whole of the press out of number 10 or 11 briefing including the Mail. Pay back time.

32 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

2 wrong don't make a right, i was always told

What about 3 wrongs ?

Activist group parked this huge mobile screen outside his house yesterday ?

Yeah, I get the outcry etc but whats happened over the weekend is pure hysteria.

17 minutes ago, maxjam said:

What about 3 wrongs ?

Activist group parked this huge mobile screen outside his house yesterday ?

Yeah, I get the outcry etc but whats happened over the weekend is pure hysteria.

I think the "Led by donkeys" piece is perfect. It's precisely why they exist. Can't call it hysteria. 

10 hours ago, Eddie said:

Getting from here to Cornwall was really a bit of a nightmare. From Derby you would get the A38 to Birmingham, get on the M6 at Spaghetti Junction and then on the M5, or go straight through the centre (I can't remember if the Aston expressway was open then). From Leicestershire, we would go on the A453 to Tamworth, then pick up the A38. The M5 from J4 to J9 was only 2 lanes, and an absolute mess of lorries.

After a couple of motorway trips there and back, when the world and his wife used to go to Newquay and Perranporth for the surfing, we started making the journey avoiding the M5 like the plague. There were a couple of choices - M1 down to Crick/Weedon Beck (J18 if I remember), then pick up the A361 through Banbury, Daventry and down to Wiltshire where you cross the Thames at the wonderfully-named Halfpenny Bridge at Lechlade (my car broke down on it once), then Swindon (Christ, it's all coming back to me) and on to Devon - Tiverton and then, the biggest bottleneck of them all, Okehampton. Beyond there, it was the A30 all the way through Launceston and Bodmin to Indian Queens (another notorious bottleneck) and on to the A392 to Newquay if we were going on the North coast.

6 hours driving through the night, but totally worth it. When my kids were toddlers, they would kip all the way down, the missus's job was to sort tapes out for the cassette player (ah, the old C90s, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Frank Zappa etc), and I would get us to Newquay or Perranporth by about 7:00 am. If it was nice, they would go on the beach, I would grab a croissant and bacon, eat that and get my head down in the car until it was time to check in at the caravan site.

That's some journey Fella, I'm one that chucks all in the car and drive until landed at destination, Food and drinks consumed while driving, A Toilet break is the only reason for me to stop.

And yet Skegvegas was closer ?

48 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I think the "Led by donkeys" piece is perfect. It's precisely why they exist. Can't call it hysteria. 

I agreed with you and think there is definitely a place for a group who are non-partisan and exist only to expose hypocrisy, inconsistency and downright mendacity. 

Led By Donkeys were formed as an anti Brexit outfit tho and need to move on and establish their credentials beyond that space, or they are easily labelled/ignored.

1 hour ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Earlier on this year i think Cummings chucked out the whole of the press out of number 10 or 11 briefing including the Mail. Pay back time.

Doubt it's just payback. The Mail understands that most of the country thinks it's a disgrace so is never going to back Johnson on this. It seems like the Mail has toned down a bit since Dacre left as well.

9 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

We lived in belper and dad's parents lived in Yeovil so we were veterans of the M5 route.

If you could find the blooming end of it around west Bromwich/Dudley without getting diverted and lost in walsall that was a good start.

After a stop probably at frankley services just south of bromsgrove you got the 2-lane stretch through Worcestershire and Gloucestershire, then booted off it again cos the Bridge over the Avon wasnt finished. 

You picked it up again just south of Bristol and we left it at Bridgewater. 

5 hours typically. And you were barely 1/2 way to Cornwall.....

And we still complain about our motorway network now ?

We were a tribe 8 in all, So holidays were very very few in the 60s, No family to visit even in Derby, Mostly just day trips with the younger ones, The 3 youngest that's myself and younger Brother and Sister with mum and dad spent a week in Chappel st Leonards, Only holiday I had with them, That would be around 66-67ish, My Dad was a solitary soul, If he spoke longer than a minute we were amazed.

We've been hunting down an Austrian lady that My Austrian Uncle is buried with, Come to a dead end no pun intended ?...But now my Daughter has took up our Family tree, Got back so far to 1798, My Great great great Grandfather A travelling salesman/hawker from Leicester he was selling Chinaware, Settled in the Isle of Dogs in London before moving and settling in Derby, Anyway, She's found an Auntie we never new about(Dads Sister)moved to London(West Mam)before the War broke out 1939, Passed away in 1991 age 66, We could have cousins, That's how secretive my Dad was?

9 hours ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

Starmer will have his guts for garters.

You're not wrong, If you can come across in Parliament and the opposition flounder then you've built a platform to start a comeback, But, There's not alot behind Starmer that gives him any real clout...Politics in the UK is broken.

11 hours ago, Eddie said:

Getting from here to Cornwall was really a bit of a nightmare. From Derby you would get the A38 to Birmingham, get on the M6 at Spaghetti Junction and then on the M5, or go straight through the centre (I can't remember if the Aston expressway was open then). From Leicestershire, we would go on the A453 to Tamworth, then pick up the A38. The M5 from J4 to J9 was only 2 lanes, and an absolute mess of lorries.

After a couple of motorway trips there and back, when the world and his wife used to go to Newquay and Perranporth for the surfing, we started making the journey avoiding the M5 like the plague. There were a couple of choices - M1 down to Crick/Weedon Beck (J18 if I remember), then pick up the A361 through Banbury, Daventry and down to Wiltshire where you cross the Thames at the wonderfully-named Halfpenny Bridge at Lechlade (my car broke down on it once), then Swindon (Christ, it's all coming back to me) and on to Devon - Tiverton and then, the biggest bottleneck of them all, Okehampton. Beyond there, it was the A30 all the way through Launceston and Bodmin to Indian Queens (another notorious bottleneck) and on to the A392 to Newquay if we were going on the North coast.

6 hours driving through the night, but totally worth it. When my kids were toddlers, they would kip all the way down, the missus's job was to sort tapes out for the cassette player (ah, the old C90s, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Frank Zappa etc), and I would get us to Newquay or Perranporth by about 7:00 am. If it was nice, they would go on the beach, I would grab a croissant and bacon, eat that and get my head down in the car until it was time to check in at the caravan site.

My worst was Derby to Newton Abbot in a mini 850, 12 hours on a Good Friday. Early 70's. No M42, M5 sort of went to Bristol then it was A38.

That was when I gained my pathological HATRED of Caravans. Convoys of the damned things so close you could never get by, so slow up the hills. Still have that today.

Archived