v Charlton Athletic (H) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

What went wrong? We were visited by Charlton who are having as bad a run as us, and who had a weakened side. The rules are that we are supposed to make a team like that look good, so tonight we completely failed.

Charlton we absolutely dreadful, but the way we played was probably the most complete performance we have made this season. Apart from Beilik's stupidly rash challenge, Waghorn's missed 1 on 1 (yet another), the only bit of poor play was Wisdom not bothering to jump to head the ball clear from a cross right over the area.

I have no complaints about the red card, it was ridiculous. The Charlton tw@ made an absolugte meal, but he hadn't even landed before Iknew it was a red. But it was one of the few decisions the ref got right tonight. Ironically as i walked towards the stadium I wondered who was supplying the match officials tonight - would it be the EFL or would it be Charlton Athletic? He was actually so poor he could have been a Charlton player! I know he did give us quite a few free kicks, but missed soooooo much stuff. Gallagher, who was scythed down by Beilik olled around and span and wriggled so much I thought he might get signed B=by Leeds during the transfer window. He made a meal of it, well no, it was more like a full on banquet, and quite rightly had the crowd on his back for the rest of the match. But he was kicking, pushing and wrestling players all the way through the match, and should have been double-yellowed before half-time.He was finally carded for trying to crowd-surf on Martin Waghorn, but play should have already been stopped for a nasty clattering a few seconds earlier. He still wiped a player out after the ball had gone out for a throw. Yes, there was a free-kick, but it should have been a card. Holmes whipped his legs away a moment or two later. He was carded, I believe, but worth it - it wasn't retaliation, more retribution, simply because the ref was such a bollockless whimp. 

I have to big up the crowd who kept on Gallagher's back virtually all match, but where on the ref's back all game as well - not just because he was crap, but because it might load his decision making having dished out a red. It didn't work, but worth a try! He completely missed 3 or 4 high kicks - Jason Knight getting a face full of football boot as he forced the ball over the line should have been a card, but missed all  of them. A handball as the defender fell to the floor - how he could control the ball without using his hands is beyond me, but nothing given. Marriott was pushed and pulled all over the place, knight was targetted as much as Johnny Russell used to be, and apparently two defenders crushing Marriott to a pulp is now ok just so long as one of them makes contact with the ball. Oh, and a cross from the touchline which floats over everybody and out over the goal-line somewhere near the opposite corner flag without anyone getting any where near it is, in fact, a corner. Where do the EFL keep getting them from?

I was well impressed with Max Lowe, who had a stupendous game, and on another day would have been man of the match. Holmes added to his play with some great, creative final balls - not all of them, but quite a few - and Marriott had a great match, apart from not being quite as sharp as we would want to see. Perhaps he'll get a run to build that sharpness back, injuries permitting. Waghorn worked really hard, and put himself about a lot, and Max Bird showed such composure that it seemed that he had been in the first team for ages. A great day for him! And playing like he'd never been away - Matt Clarke was sound as a pound. He went through a phase where his confidence had gone, and had just worked his way through that when he was injured. but instead of being a bit rusty, he simply carried on where he had left off. Well done Matt.

More than that was Cocu's management. He could have panicked and gone all cautious, as per his reputation. But he simply kept with the same players for much of the remainder of the match and managed the game really well. I expected Marriott to be sacrificed, but was pleasantly surprised to see him stay on the pitch. We did sit a bit deeper, and looked for the counter attack, although for much of the second half we began to press forwards anyway because we were so much better thn the visitors, who bafrely thereatened, except for the penalty. I have only briefly seen a replay on someone's phone, and it looked like our defender (Davies) put his leg out and then withdrew it immediately, leaving Gallagher to make yet another sumptuous feat by diving over the leg that wasn't there. I may have seen it wrongly, and a  number of people watching on Sky have said that at best it was a very soft decision. However, that it was Gallagher was no surprise. Given the number of blatant fouls he got away with meant he was bound to be involved in some way in a goal against us.

One win doesn't make a spring, and all that, but most satisfying was that we gave our all, which is all the fans ask. No-one ambled aimlessly around once an attack broke down, with everyone showing commitment to the cause. it is interesting - when  we turn up and put everything we have into a performance, we end up doing all right. Funny that!

Good on yer, lads!

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, G STAR RAM said:

I think the regular posters and readers on here by now know that anyone that plays in the place of The Messiah is on a hiding to nothing, regardless of their actual performance. 

As someone stated earlier..... getting beyond parody, something I knew I was beginning to get a while back with regards MM 

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

Am l on the right forum. We won, and everyone seems happy. I have been on here 6 years and I think that is a first.

Leeds away in playoffs surely - but we saw some proper football this evening after several weeks of dross.

Hamer - very good saves at the end

wisdom - solid defensively and crossed for our first

Davies - solid

clarke - solid

lowe - very good

belick - very silly

knight - well done lad 

bird - the best I have seen him play for the first team

waghorn - again a great chance missed but worked very hard for the team

holmes - started wide and looked decent and after the sending off went into the middle and did very well

marriott - caused Charlton a few problems without overly looking like scoring

great team performance considering everything - how many soft penalties are given against us? The kids did well collectively with professional help from the seniors 

Charlton were poor and do have injuries but how many are we missing?

we are well practiced playing with 10 men - missing Lawrence does always seem like a blessing  

14 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

True but, 1st half especially, you can’t just stop and expect the free kick. You need to work through it sometimes rather than lose possession.

Wouldn’t disagree with that.

The Robbie Savage impersonation act showed everyone the best way to win free kicks

Looking back at Bielik’s challenge it kinda sums up his season. No malice but late and clumsy due to how stop/start his season has been, which is now set to continue. He will come good but probably needs a proper pre season before we see the best of him.

Odd that Sky have seemingly said Wisdom should have seen red too? Looks pretty innocuous rather than any sort of malice. What happened to players having to wear one sometimes?

Finally I’m not gonna lay into the ref too much (he was poor, but after a succession of poor refs I think he took the brunt of a lot of frustrations in general), but I wish they’d have a stern word with players like Gallagher tonight and basically say ‘if you continue to make a meal of things it’s not going to help you, so stop it now or else I will book you’. It’s simple and everyone knows where they stand. Not let him carry on and embarrass himself further.

Thoroughly enjoyed my night out.

The lads started well, and didn't let the sending off affect them. Defended superbly, and attacked with pace and style. 

It was one of those nights where they all played well, but Knight had to get MoM for his goals. Special mention for Holmes though. Superb. Hamer saved us two points at the death. Lowe looked the full back we all hoped he'd become, Bird assured. Wisdom at his muscular best. Impressive.

I don't care what Charlton team was out there. We have injuries too, and the lads have put some clear space between us and the relegation scrap. Now, win on Thursday and get Rooney and two or three more in,,..and we can relax and enjoy the second half of the season.

Special mention for the manager. He's had a dogs abuse for some recent performances. The praise deserves to flow after tonight. Trust in Phil Cocu.

Archived