v Charlton Athletic (H) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a great season!; this is just all too depressing, but I am not sure that there is an answer. I suppose that there must be an answer, or a series of answers, somewhere. Most teams/clubs, experience fluctuating results/fortunes. Few other championship teams are doing consistently well, but most are probably playing with greater belief, and/or greater optimism.

Hamer      

bogle.  Wisdom.    Davies.    Lowe

holmes.   Knight.    Sibley.    Mitchell-Lawson

Waghorn.     Marriott 

It obvius that we have to change the team.

Hamer - doing better for each game, but we need to buy a better goalkeeper as soon as possible.

Wisdom - Bogle out - to many defensive errows.

Davies - right now we haven't got someone to put in instead.

Bielik - together with Holmes it couldn't be worse, so he has to get in here where he has shown he's okay.

Forsyth - needs to be moved back as left back, where he has shown good quality. Better than Lowe - but I do believe Lowe can develop even further.

Bird - needs time to develop in the first team. In the U23 he has been really good. We ain't got one better for the time being.

Knight - should keep his place.

Sibley - I believe in him - the sooner he starts the better. He needs 2-3 games and then we'll see like Knight real quality.

Marriott - sure to start. Our best striker.

Waghorn - has to start too, but needs a better quality from our  midfield.

Martin - often shows better gameplay at home. 

We need to buy new and better players soon and to build the team around our young upcoming players.

Subject to injuries my lineup - and I've given up trying to second guess the manager - would be:

-----------------------------Hamer------------------------------

Bogle-----------Wisdom-----Clarke----------Forsyth

-----------------------------Bielik--------------------------------

---------------------Knight--------Sibley---------------------

----------------------------Holmes-----------------------------

----------------------Martin-------Marriott

Roos / Anya / Davies / Bird / Paterson / Jozefzoon / Waghorn

Hamer

Bogle Wisdom  Davies Lowe

Bielik

Knight     Holmes

Dowell

Martin   Marriott 

Dowell is a number 10. Give him a player to play off and a player to play in behind and he might show us what he can do.

Perfect time for Dowell and Marriott to step up.

That last minute goal can do wonders for confidence and the thing I liked most about it was the Derby players grabbed the ball and ran back to the halfway line. A winning mentality is what we need and that is a little showcase of that. 

Let’s get behind this team, they need us and let’s carry them through a scrappy game to a 1-0 win. COYR

Hamer

Bogle Davies Forsyth Lowe

Bielik Holmes

Whittaker Waghorn Paterson

Marriott 

Time to actually go at a team for once. Lose Knight and drop Holmes back where he’s more effective, to effectively leave us with two strikers and hopefully a lot more attackers and attacking threat. With Lawrence suspended and Waghorn moved inside where he’s more effective, we need two new widemen. Think Whittaker is the obvious call, the lad has talent and deserves a run to show us where he’s at. Other side is a lot more tricky, but I still feel Paterson has been very harshly treated. Never really seen him have a bad game from the start of a match, and him playing coincided with some strong performances for us. His deserves a chance over flojo who’s had enough opportunities and showed nothing. Finally I’d give Marriott one more chance up front. Martin has had little impact recently, and with the window coming up and having made an impact off the bench yesterday, Marriott deserves one last shot to show he’s good enough.

Really need to be getting a win in this one, however it comes. Its a home game, no excuses. Charlton are bank and we shouldn’t be going into this match with any fear. The way we fail in this game is by being too cautious again. I want to see High pressing in the opposition half, and a proper battling spirit in the tackle, none of this half arsed bull poo. We’ve had the extra break until Monday so no excuses fitness wise. With Lawrence gone, I don’t wanna see any greedy poo either, pass the bloody ball when it’s on! I want to see us actually awake defensively as well, they’ll probably come here to sit back and hit us with long passes, so let’s hope Forsyth is a bit more awake than he was yesterday in that respect! Need the fullbacks to be on their game as well, we know our weakness with stopping crosses, so let’s sort that one out. And I want to see support from the wide forwards in that respect as well.

I'm back again, hope all you rams had a good Christmas. :)

Let's not sugar coat it, its two teams who have had some proper poo form of late. We've just won our first game since October, so hopefully we've turned a corner. I expect this one to be a close game, probably a score draw.

Lose this game and maybe Derby start the new year with a new manager?

Edit: love how this site has auto corrected the S word to poo haha

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Hamer

Bogle Davies Forsyth Lowe

Bielik Holmes

Whittaker Waghorn Paterson

Marriott 

Time to actually go at a team for once. Lose Knight and drop Holmes back where he’s more effective, to effectively leave us with two strikers and hopefully a lot more attackers and attacking threat. With Lawrence suspended and Waghorn moved inside where he’s more effective, we need two new widemen. Think Whittaker is the obvious call, the lad has talent and deserves a run to show us where he’s at. Other side is a lot more tricky, but I still feel Paterson has been very harshly treated. Never really seen him have a bad game from the start of a match, and him playing coincided with some strong performances for us. His deserves a chance over flojo who’s had enough opportunities and showed nothing. Finally I’d give Marriott one more chance up front. Martin has had little impact recently, and with the window coming up and having made an impact off the bench yesterday, Marriott deserves one last shot to show he’s good enough.

Really need to be getting a win in this one, however it comes. Its a home game, no excuses. Charlton are bank and we shouldn’t be going into this match with any fear. The way we fail in this game is by being too cautious again. I want to see High pressing in the opposition half, and a proper battling spirit in the tackle, none of this half arsed bull poo. We’ve had the extra break until Monday so no excuses fitness wise. With Lawrence gone, I don’t wanna see any greedy poo either, pass the bloody ball when it’s on! I want to see us actually awake defensively as well, they’ll probably come here to sit back and hit us with long passes, so let’s hope Forsyth is a bit more awake than he was yesterday in that respect! Need the fullbacks to be on their game as well, we know our weakness with stopping crosses, so let’s sort that one out. And I want to see support from the wide forwards in that respect as well.

You want to drop Knight, who played RM in the last game (we played 442) and CM in a 433 for the previous games, to allow Holmes to play CM, which he has done for the last so many games (he’s only played on the wing for a couple of games this season). Then you want to bring in a winger/ss who we plan on sending back to Bristol just 2 days later. 

11 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

You want to drop Knight, who played RM in the last game (we played 442) and CM in a 433 for the previous games, to allow Holmes to play CM, which he has done for the last so many games (he’s only played on the wing for a couple of games this season). Then you want to bring in a winger/ss who we plan on sending back to Bristol just 2 days later. 

Yes I do, because 442 is a load of absolute poo and I don’t want to see us playing it. And Holmes has played most the season in number 10, which is a hugely different role to the deeper lying midfield role. He’s far more suited to that role than the more advanced role for me, and I want to see him get a run there. He’s much better as a ball carrier from deep, he’s wasted so Hugh up the pitch as his final ball is lacking. And yes, I do want to bring in Paterson, because he’s better than anything else we’ve got, and imo we shouldn’t be sending him back.

Dont forget this is what I’d pick, I’m not second guessing what Cocu would pick. If I was, it’d be far more defensive than what I’ve put above.

Archived