v Charlton Athletic (H) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

2 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

I’m pretty sure that was Middlesbrough with wanchope getting sent off for swinging a punch at Andy Townsend after Townsend had two footed tackled him in the chest whilst he was lying on the floor.

Maybe be @RedSmog could help us clarify if he’s still here????????????????????

It was. It was the last time I hugged a complete stranger at a game. Or anywhere come to think of it.

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent performance tonight from everyone but special mention to both full backs Lowe looks like the player he was always made out to be needs to take it on from here.

Outstanding defensively from Wisdom looks like the player who he was under Mac and should keep his place even if Bogle is fit.

Warning ! this match contained actual singing, passionate shouting  and scenes of loud cheering in the East Stand. No fancy Dan Charlton players were injured in the making Of this show

That is why I go to football matches. A brilliant display, overflowing with effort, desire, team work and skill. A brilliant atmosphere as well.

Clarke made a huge difference .. just loved the Igor moment, really really loved it (mild cardiac arrest apart) 

Hamer .. match wining save, priceless 

I mistakenly sent Knight off instead of Bielik but luckily no one noticed and Jason at 18 gets a brace and an embrace from the crowd . What a performance from a lad of his age. We have every right to be purring and so does he. what that will do for him and the teams belief is huge 

Bird .. yep he’ll make it. To have that hunger and composure in these circumstances bodes well. Well played

Curtis ..no great ball player but guts, organisation, strength. Late on twisting his body, stretching limbs, winning the ball

Lowe excellent, stronger defensively than he has ever been.

Wisdom ..Wise older head. Gave us stature, won headers, set up the goal and if Waggy had put that early one away it would have been 2 assists I think ? ... Bogle could learn something about crossing in to the box instead of cutting inside.

Jack and Waggy worked their baa locks off all night. 

Bielik .. rash, a pity

Holmes .. anyone want to say he offers nothing ???? Ehhh ? If he had a final ball he would be playing in the prem, as it is he was exceptional. Tackling, chasing, creating, being wizard of the dribble. He gives so much that every game in the last 5 minutes he’s running on the fumes in the tank. Love that player 

The whole team played with hunger and passion. What a knight out that was ?????

COYR

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Dear me there's some sad posters on here aren't you Rosy. Enjoy it while you can.

Isn’t that the point?  Enjoying it while you can?  We’ve been poor.  We might well be poor again (I’m sure we will be).  So why not be positive about a good performance when it happens (other than just trying to wind people up).  Focus on the good bits, be glass half full, stop being a ‘mood hoover’ for one night.  Don’t worry, your time will come again ?

Well that was very enjoyable. 

I thought we played pretty well in the last few games at times, but individuals were letting us down. Tonight with bird alongside knight the young players lifted the team. Clarke and wisdom also made us more resilient at the back. without Malone, Lawrence and - dare I say - bielik,we lost three loose canons and produced some lovely calm football in possession. I’d still love to see sibley in there with bird and knight, bogle and Lowe. 

but Jason knight?...absolutely fantastic. I think he’s great.

hopefully we are turning a corner.

just need our man to have the balls to pick the youngsters instead of some of the bigger names. 

Hopefully we a turning a corner. 

1 minute ago, LazloW said:

Isn’t that the point?  Enjoying it while you can?  We’ve been poor.  We might well be poor again (I’m sure we will be).  So why not be positive about a good performance when it happens (other than just trying to wind people up).  Focus on the good bits, be glass half full, stop being a mood hoover for tonight... your time will come again ?

You missed the point! I enjoyed the win. But they were poor and we weren't a lot better. The youngsters did well mostly, but to get carried away with that performance? Well you carry on then.

Don't know how anyone can find negatives ?‍♂️ i know we all see things differently but everyone played well. Marriott & waghorn didn't stop running. Marriott a bit rusty might have taken a chance better. With waggy with the one v one was frustrating. But i thought both put a shift it. Waghorn with some great defensive work & marriott chased everything and defended from the front by closing down. 

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

You missed the point! I enjoyed the win. But they were poor and we weren't a lot better. The youngsters did well mostly, but to get carried away with that performance? Well you carry on then.

I’m not getting carried away.  I’m sensible enough to know that tonight might be a one off.  But I enjoyed it and could see good things in the performance.   By any observable measure, we were not poor tonight.  We bossed a game, with 10 men against inferior opposition.  Don’t see why Charlton not being very good should detract from the positives, that’s all.  

Very happy with the performance tonight.

Most pleasing was that Cocu actually went Lowe at left back for 2 games in a row and Marriott upfront in a two (well tried until the red).

I’ll happily watch us lose/draw/win if we give that much passion and energy every week, and to be honest I didn’t think Cocu was capable of getting that out of them so that was a relief!

Yeah Charlton were probably the worst team I’ve seen this season but you can only beat what’s in front of you and I guess we levelled it up with 10 men.

Another 7 wins this season for safety and then I’d happily see us bring more youth through for the experience at the back end of the season. 

Archived