v Charlton Athletic (H) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DCFC Ram said:

apologies if it has been posted already

I was surprised that Cocu didn't bring on Martin instead of Whitaker near the end of the game.

No major issue as it turned out, but Martin would have won freekicks and kept the ball for the last few minutes.

We needed wise old heads to close the game out not a young runner.

As I say, it didn't matter - but it would have been a better decision.

Yep another angle I should have put in my post earlier ,, the win would have been a better win had we brought Martin on?

4 hours ago, Archied said:

Your wasting your time ,wouldn’t matter to some if Waghorn was on 30 goals ,he’s not Martin ,,,,,he’s a championship player and he has his decent games and goes off form just like all players , he’s not the undroppable god of Derby county.

Who Waghorn or Martin? You only seem to be able to make OTT statements about Martin, there are plenty of fans able to take a balanced view, but then your point would be no point at all.

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Who Waghorn or Martin? You only seem to be able to make OTT statements about Martin, there are plenty of fans able to take a balanced view, but then your point would be no point at all.

Ah cheered up at last , just remembered we could lose thursday?

never make ott statements about Martin just the ott Martin devotees 

Comparing Martin and Waghorn is difficult. They're different players who bring different things to the game. 

This was not a Martin game, but showed Waghorns strengths well, although exposed his lack of one on one finishing. 

Martin is far better suited to playing against a team sitting deep and needing a bit of ingenuity to break down. 

One is a plan A player and the other a plan B player. 

9 hours ago, ram59 said:

Comparing Martin and Waghorn is difficult. They're different players who bring different things to the game. 

This was not a Martin game, but showed Waghorns strengths well, although exposed his lack of one on one finishing. 

Martin is far better suited to playing against a team sitting deep and needing a bit of ingenuity to break down. 

One is a plan A player and the other a plan B player. 

Agreed with this one. Also worth noting that meanwhile Martin can play only that one role, Waggy has already played three different positions and even more roles. He might not be the best on any of these but as a squad member such utility players are worth of a snip.

18 hours ago, ossieram said:

If it didn't matter and had no negative effect on the result, why bring it up? For all we know, Martin may have come on and dropped a proper cod and cost us the game.

kind of why I said what I said ... obviously Martin might have done this, that or the other.

As I said, there was more chance of Martin using his nouse to get freekicks, waste time, take the ball into the corner etc than a youngster.

Archived