v Charlton Athletic (H) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

10 minutes ago, nfb said:

No. Yes he has had flashes of brilliance but that's it, most of the time hes a narcissistic, petulant, waste of a place 

Its exactly what we needed no leisure players thats the best game of football I have seen from us in a long time! The passion all the way through our team was unreal! A massive shout out to holmes tho not to get MOTM is very harsh even tho Knight was class! Our midfield hasn't been like that since thorne, hendrick,  hughes, bryson if we finish the season with that effort and quality and stay up on goal difference I'd be happy! Even tho if we play like that till end of the season I think we will be looking more playoff I couldnt careless! Loved that 110%

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely delighted for all of them and cocu 

absolutely proud as punch too for the young lads, knight and bird were simply superb 

I can’t help thinking bird needs to get in the weights but jeez he’s only a kid and boy did he grow into the game.

u could visibly see his confidence to get on The ball grow and his teammates start to trust him with it 

Clark was simply outstanding 

dominant, calm and little classy at time’s, loved that little turn when he left their two for dead 

the key is and was energy 

I’m hoping cocu has learnt this now

opening few games we started off with an engine room of Huddlestone and dowell and now compare that with tonight 

players who were prepared to be brave... knight bryson esq... running Beyond the front man and getting his just rewards 

this is all I wanted to see 

light at the end of the tunnel .. a direction , an identity 

and boy do I love it 

Now for the tricky bit ... repeat the performance , energy and desire against Barnsley

Edit:

and Hamer ... what a double save at the end 

that got us the 3 points, we’ll done that man 

edit 2:

forgot about wisdom too

was simply excellent delighted for him 

Lowe, Knight and Holmes absolutely outstanding tonight. Defence very solid with Wisdom and Clarke back and some great saves from Hamer as well. Waghorn and Marriott ran themselves into the ground and Bird did well considering his midfield partner decided to go home early.

For me the team stays virtually the same next match, but with Rooney instead of Bielik.

The team looked so much better without a passenger up front. That entire left side in particular worked fantastic together - hopefully it stays the same.

3 minutes ago, Norman said:

On the back of that, I would sell Lawrence for whatever anyone is willing to pay for a drink-driving, narcistic, selfish footballer who gets more yellow cards per game than useful touches. 

I have no idea why he's so highly rated, including by Cocu. If anyone had the time they could easily put together a 'lowlights' reel of how many times he's given the ball away this season alone, and it would stretch to about an hour. Just look at the highlights of the Brentford game as an example.

Pretty much a total waste of £4m.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Waghorn was poor and Marriott still didn't really get any (one?) chances through on goal.

See my post above - don’t spoil it, with your anti-Waghorn agenda. Put in a proper shift in both boxes, and whilst his first minute effort was frustrating he contributed hugely when we were down to 10 men.

8's for Bird (my MOTM), Clarke, Lowe, Wisdom, Holmes and Knight.

Lawrence should be told to sit with Bird and Wisdom to watch the game. Bird should be asked to explain to Lawrence how he (Bird) took up positions to receive the ball from his team mates throughout the game, how he tracked back to cover and how he gave 100% all game. Wisdom should then be asked to 'discuss' this with Lawrence and seek his (Lawrence's) views about how he might aspire to match Bird -or Lawrence should be shown the door in January.

To put him in this team would be an insult to Bird, Holmes and Knight, amongst others.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Waghorn was poor and Marriott still didn't really get any (one?) chances through on goal.

Yeah waghorn was a better defender than attacker largely but Marriott had 2 very good chances. For me when slipped in by bird he controls with the wrong foot, taking him wider. Maybe it’s rustiness but you’d have bet on both to go in last season. And spent too long flapping his arms first half instead of putting himself about. Agree the energy up top definitely adds the extra dimension, be it jack or otherwise.

3 minutes ago, LittleEatonRam said:

I have no idea why he's so highly rated, including by Cocu. If anyone had the time they could easily put together a 'lowlights' reel of how many times he's given the ball away this season alone, and it would stretch to about an hour. Just look at the highlights of the Brentford game as an example.

Pretty much a total waste of £4m.

Agree he’s been shocking 

And quite often to the detriment to the side as he gives it away when we’re committed high up 

Would be happy if we were to move him on and both parties can start again and move forward 

Archived