v Charlton Athletic (H) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Waghorn was poor and Marriott still didn't really get any (one?) chances through on goal.

Think your being unfair on Marriott. Genuinely if you watch the game back. He was making runs, pulling deep and dragging the centre backs everywhere. He was knackered last 15 but he gives us such a better dimension as an attacking unit as the last game and a half has shown

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Waghorn was poor and Marriott still didn't really get any (one?) chances through on goal.

I’m sorry Roy here...... Waggy was far removed from poor as you say.

Stop the trolling and have a night off on this one

Just now, Mafiabob said:

Whatever mate, he was poor mostly no control of the ball - even on Knights goal he scuffed it. But fortunately for us Charlton were utter pants.

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Christ - try some positivity. I disagree that Waghorn was poor, but even if tou believe he was it doesnt change my original point you quoted that they both ran themselves into the ground.

Just now, GenBr said:

Christ - try some positivity. I disagree that Waghorn was poor, but even if tou believe he was it doesnt change my original point you quoted that they both ran themselves into the ground.

Hurrah, love a bit of pointless running around.

3 minutes ago, GrimsbyRam said:

Think your being unfair on Marriott. Genuinely if you watch the game back. He was making runs, pulling deep and dragging the centre backs everywhere. He was knackered last 15 but he gives us such a better dimension as an attacking unit as the last game and a half has shown

Much prefer him to Waghorn, he's miles ahead. But he didn't have a great game - needs more matches (are you listening Cocu?).

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Whatever mate, he was poor mostly no control of the ball - even on Knights goal he scuffed it. But fortunately for us Charlton were utter pants.

You complained that we couldn't beat a "poor" Reading side, away, with 10 men and that despite playing well it didn't matter because the important fact was that we still lost.

So tonight we beat a "poor" Charlton side at home with 10 men and played well and that's not good enough for you either? OK.

2 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Agree here. Incredible team performance tonight.

Energy and desire from the get go and even more so with ten men.

Holmes for me the MOTM, best game in a Derby shirt but 8’s across the board would be fair tonight with some 9’s (Holmes, Clarke, Knight, Lowe, Wisdom) in there. (Bielik excluded).

In a funny kind of way, the game reminded me a little of the day we beat Blackburn with ten men when Jonathon Hunt got the winner, with Wanchope having the early shower.

Be bold Cocu against Barnsley - Rooney in for Bielik, go for it!

Waghorn & Marriott poor?! What game were you watching? They worked their nuts off for 90 minutes and constantly created space for others with their movement.

The difference in the performance tonight to recent games is the energy levels of the team. With Martin up front it’s so static and predictable.

Holmes, Bird & Knight absolutely outstanding. Refreshing to see the fight and desire in midfield with so much quality as well.

Lawrence simply can’t come back into this team. 

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Give over 

Absolutely fantastic game and performance. More of the same please. The desire and determination, the pressing and the high positions.

Right from kick off we looked completely different shape wise. We were compact in the right places at the right times. Putting pressure on the opposition but also enabling us to have more outlets thus possession leading to something and somewhere other than backwards. Playing in triangles, finally. 

Also want to note where Bielik got sent off. He was deep in their half and all the other midfielders were in front of him. A defensive anchor role. Keeping us high up the pitch. Not sat in-between the CB's or 10 yards in front of them. Despite going to 10 men we carried on that way. More of this please. We don't need to be so defensive and negative. We play far too deep all the time and there hasn't been a need to. That role needs to be played exactly how George Thorne at his best played for us. 

I don't want us to bring in anyone this window to take the place of any of the youngsters in the matchday squad today. I would just be looking at someone who can play left and right wing, to replace both Paterson and Lawrence in the squad itself. 

Archived