v Charlton Athletic (H) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Have to say I was feeling very negative pre game hoping for the best but fearing for the worst and in my mind it was make or break time for Cocu and our season,  but I am feeling a lot more positive after that performance which is by far the best I have seen this season. It was a very bold team selection from Cocu dropping Lawrence and playing Bird and Knight in the same team and it was equally brave to no go defensive after the red card, but all things considered his bravery was rewarded with a great team performance with a lot of standouts and positives going into Thursday. Knight was exceptional and if he can keep that up he will be a star of the team for years to come,  Bird was very decent as well without being as standout . Holmes I have criticised recently and rightly so as he has been very poor at times and first 20  minutes or so I wasn't best pleased with some of his passes, but as he and the team grew into the game he was outstanding and the pass out to the wing for Knight's 2nd goal was sensational.  If he can keep it up ,him playing with Knight and Rooney with Shinnie to come back in and Bird improving a lot and suddenly we are looking fairly decent in midfield.  Marriott upfront brought an energy and threat to the team and special mentions to the fullbacks who were both brilliant, especially Wisdom considering he hasn't been playing much of late and has been out of sorts for along time ,it reminded me of the top quality powerhouse of a right back we used to have. After that performance I would say Bogle has to work his way back into the team after he returns , as Wisdom made us much more solid as a unit than Bogle does  and I have always thought Bogle has a lot of  promise but is very overrated by some fans.  Also think Lawrence is going to have his work cut out getting game time as the players who played today put his work rate and overall play to shame, and even though he has talent we look better without him.

Overall focusing on the positives, I am now looking forward to Thursday's game a lot more especially with Rooney potentially playing, as recently I have been worried about as being dragged into the relegation places but win on Thursday which is highly possible and we will be relatively comfortable in midtable again. Not sure who will drop out for Rooney as it would be especially harsh on Knight or Holmes to miss  out, trouble is going to be finding the defensive balance with so may attack minded players, I think Wisdom for Bogle does help abit in that regard.

I strongly suspect Bogle is on his way to a Prem club, but echo your positives about Wisdom who is clearly every bit as good as he ever was.

7 hours ago, Derby blood said:

Tonight was more like it, playing with heart, keeping the ball better, and scoring twice, and the atmosphere was very good as well, stand out players for me were, Bird, a great engine and ran the midfield with Knight, Knight 2 goals, and never gave up, great engine, Wisdom keeps it simple and a great cross for the first goal, also defends better than Bogle, both centre half's very good, and Holmes great running and effort if he could play a killer pass he would be in the Premier league, can not wait for Thursday night now. 

Spot on mate. I’d highlight what you said about keeping the ball. Lots of little tight one twos in sticky positions. Not safe backwards stuff. In short, we controlled it. 

1 hour ago, Ram8 said:

Strange how only RoyMac, Kash, Goldstar and Tuffluff can see what was glaringly obvious from Waghorn’s (usual) performance last night, albeit obscured by an excellent performance from the other ten ! 

The result and much improved performance by (nine of the) ten men should not hide the fact that Waghorn is contributing nothing  to this team, other than pointless running around (like David Nugent before him) and the worst ‘first touch’ of anyone at the club.

If Cocu picks Waghorn ahead of Chris Martin on Thursday a great opportunity for a ‘double act’ of supreme quality first touch football from Rooney and Martin will be lost, and yet another manager will have completely missed the true value of CM’s contribution to this team ! 

Whose top scorer?

1 hour ago, Ram8 said:

Strange how only RoyMac, Kash, Goldstar and Tuffluff can see what was glaringly obvious from Waghorn’s (usual) performance last night, albeit obscured by an excellent performance from the other ten ! 

The result and much improved performance by (nine of the) ten men should not hide the fact that Waghorn is contributing nothing to this team, other than pointless running around (like David Nugent before him) and the worst ‘first touch’ of anyone at the club.

If Cocu picks Waghorn ahead of Chris Martin on Thursday a great opportunity for a ‘double act’ of supreme quality first touch football from Rooney and Martin will be lost, and yet another manager will have completely missed the true value of CM’s contribution to this team ! 

Bang on. 

10 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

You missed the point! I enjoyed the win. But they were poor and we weren't a lot better. The youngsters did well mostly, but to get carried away with that performance? Well you carry on then.

An opinion is an opinion, So here's mine, Charlton started with 11 players, So did DCFC, After 17mins we were down to 10 players, Those 10 players stopped a Charlton team from having it their own way, In days gone by 11 V 10 would have the 11 winning comfortabely, But today teams train to play with 10 men, Charlton had the advantage of an extra man, We stopped them using the space that was there, More so we could have and should have scored 3 maybe 4 with better finishing.

Lee Bowyer is in your court he said they were poor, Also he said give Derby credit for their victory, The opposition is only as good as the opposition let them play, We were intelligent enough to let them have the ball and get players behind the ball, Hit them on the break and create chances.

For me the reason Charlton were poor was because they couldn't work out how to break a resolute team down, Derby made them look poor.

17 minutes ago, goldstar said:

Through mostly penalties of which he has also missed a few. 

2. Just like.others have missed penalties before him......

I thought that was one of Waghorn's best performances for ages. He did some great defensive work and held the ball up when played into feet pretty well. Some of his passes through to Marriott were unlucky. And we needed the running behind of Marriott to keep a threat.

As much as I am a Martin fan, once down to 10 this was not a game for him. It needed energy.

42 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I dunno. Just wondered if we'll stick with 4-2-3-1 

4-1-3-1 last night, which just shows that the four man midfield can work fine.

Anyone else think Cocu intentionally kept Marriott out on the pitch for longer than was perhaps necessary to send a message for what he demands for a starting forward? 

I thought Jack was brilliant yesterday but it made sense for him to come off after 70/75 minutes, as he clearly faded and wasn’t moving as freely, but Cocu persisted. 

Just now, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Anyone else think Cocu intentionally kept Marriott out on the pitch for longer than was perhaps necessary to send a message for what he demands for a starting forward? 

I thought Jack was brilliant yesterday but it made sense for him to come off after 70/75 minutes, as he clearly faded and wasn’t moving as freely, but Cocu persisted. 

I would've done the substitutions similarly to Cocu. Our team cohesion was different level last night so it was good t o try to keep it until some runs out of steam or the opponent has too much pressure. Neither happened so he had the option to leave subs as late as possible.

2 hours ago, Ram8 said:

The result and much improved performance by (nine of the) ten men should not hide the fact that Waghorn is contributing nothing to this team, other than pointless running around (like David Nugent before him) and the worst ‘first touch’ of anyone at the club.

Given how you have so much more knowledge than all these managers has anyone approached you yet to be their no 1, sounds like you can see stuff no one else can.

Mind you if you did not notice what Waghorn brought to the team last night you may be waiting a while....

8 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Personally I think he kept him on as he had no other options, Martin is not mobile and with 10 on the pitch we needed a forward who could get across the pitch to close players down.

56 minutes ago, I Bought the Tee Shirt said:

An opinion is an opinion, So here's mine, Charlton started with 11 players, So did DCFC, After 17mins we were down to 10 players, Those 10 players stopped a Charlton team from having it their own way, In days gone by 11 V 10 would have the 11 winning comfortabely, But today teams train to play with 10 men, Charlton had the advantage of an extra man, We stopped them using the space that was there, More so we could have and should have scored 3 maybe 4 with better finishing.

Lee Bowyer is in your court he said they were poor, Also he said give Derby credit for their victory, The opposition is only as good as the opposition let them play, We were intelligent enough to let them have the ball and get players behind the ball, Hit them on the break and create chances.

For me the reason Charlton were poor was because they couldn't work out how to break a resolute team down, Derby made them look poor.

Correct. We played a high intensity game. They couldn’t match it. Last night we would have beaten most teams in this Division with that display. 

can we do it consistently? 

Archived