v Charlton Athletic (H) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 27/12/2019 at 13:01, CharltonFan said:

I'm back again, hope all you rams had a good Christmas. :)

Let's not sugar coat it, its two teams who have had some proper poo form of late. We've just won our first game since October, so hopefully we've turned a corner. I expect this one to be a close game, probably a score draw.

Lose this game and maybe Derby start the new year with a new manager?

Edit: love how this site has auto corrected the S word to poo haha

Was the October game against us by any chance? ?

4 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Hamer, Bogle, Davies, Fozzy, Lowe, Beilik, Evans, Holmes, Zoon, Waghorn, Martin

Not sure whether this is being sarcastic or not? Evans out for some time and our 'best' player in last couple of games (Knight) is not present.

If not, replace:-

Forsyth with Wisdom

Evans with Knight

Zoon with Sibley

Marriott with Waghorn

Then you have an alright side.

Hamer 

Bogle..... Davies.... Wisdom..... Lowe

Holmes...... beilik...knight........malone 

Marriott 

Martin 

Id just like to see us try two upfront marriott or waghorn off Martin. Knight & beilik box to box. Not sure if Wisdom is injured but id rather play someone who can play centre back at centre back. We have no left winger as such so we'd be better playing malone there. He can at least push on & between him & lowe one could push on the other sit (over lap each other) their right back wouldn't know which one to pick up

Play same system as Leeds will suit us 

Hamer

Bogle    Davies   Clarke     Forsyth

Bielek

Waghorn  Knight  Sibley  Holmes

Marriott

these players can get around Marriott surporting 

On 27/12/2019 at 15:03, Millenniumram said:

Yes I do, because 442 is a load of absolute poo and I don’t want to see us playing it. And Holmes has played most the season in number 10, which is a hugely different role to the deeper lying midfield role. He’s far more suited to that role than the more advanced role for me, and I want to see him get a run there. He’s much better as a ball carrier from deep, he’s wasted so Hugh up the pitch as his final ball is lacking. And yes, I do want to bring in Paterson, because he’s better than anything else we’ve got, and imo we shouldn’t be sending him back.

Dont forget this is what I’d pick, I’m not second guessing what Cocu would pick. If I was, it’d be far more defensive than what I’ve put above.

Plenty of teams play 442

all this twaddle about having an extra midfielder in there is spurious nonsense if the extra man is sitting deep and passing to and fro with the centre halves. And that’s at the cost of having a second striker.

Seems a shame when you’ve got jack - Morley Hayes - marriott still waiting to tee off.

What astounds me is that people still keep thinking that Marriott can play the lone striker role. Apart from him only getting 7 minutes and 42 seconds per match, he is played out of position more often than not. Fitness and attitude may be playing a part, but not using him to his strengths is a major problem, which may be feeding back into his attitude problem.

Neither is it any use play him in a two up front with Waghorn because Waggy isn’t the right man for that role either, even though Captain Cocu keeps trying that combination. Come on, let’s give Marriott a run alongside Chris Martin, with the midfield playing a few yards further up the pitch so the whole shebang can work together as a unit. We can have Martin feeding Marriott and midfielders running through onto Chris’s lay-offs. Who knows, it might even be difficult for the opposition to defend against, instead of being able to pitch 3 Neanderthals against one lone striker.

I imagine we will stick with the 4-3-3 so if so this is what I would go with:

GK - Hamer

RB - Bogle

CB - Bielik

CB - Davies

LB - Lowe

CM - Bird

CM - Knight

CM - Sibley

RW - Waghorn

CF - Marriott

LW - Holmes

While I think Bielik is better in midfield, until we get a CB in we need to play him at the back. Forsyth is a disaster waiting to happen and can’t be in the side after his recent displays.

Id go with the youth in the middle of the park. All 3 will being higher energy levels than what we have seen recently and worth a go IMO.

Id play Holmes out wide moving forward. We need someone out  wide who can drift and beat a man and he is capable. Decision making isn’t good enough for me to play in the middle of the park and would give him more freedom further forward.

Marriott needs to play through the middle. All this about his not being able to play on his own is garbage. He has done it before and looked lively when he came on at Wigan. Get bodies around him and creat chances and he is as likely as anyone to score. Martin has been a fantastic player for us but we are far too predictable right now with him as the lone striker. Reminds me of the Mac 2 days when it was going wrong. Way too easy to play against and predictable as he is never going to threaten any space beyond the defenders.

The axe won't fall as Mel will not want another managerial FU to dim his legacy. However, the day will come for PC (is it a coincidence he's got the same initials as Clement. The only way Derby will recover is when those in the dressing room affected by Keogh's treatment have left.

1 minute ago, Finch said:

The axe won't fall as Mel will not want another managerial FU to dim his legacy. However, the day will come for PC (is it a coincidence he's got the same initials as Clement. The only way Derby will recover is when those in the dressing room affected by Keogh's treatment have left.

I think that may well be true.

4 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Can't see any axe falling even if we lose. 

Personally I think he will be safe as long as we aren't in the relegation zone, so losing tomorrow won't get him the axe. Plus we just put a gigantic poster of his face up on the main entrance to the stadium, which suggests we aren't about to axe him (although I suppose we could just have the manager head be magnetic and swap it out every couple of months when we change to a new guy)

3 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Isn't Evans injured again?

Yep - out for 2 months. May as well just go and join Thorne and Anya on their golf trips or whatever the hell it is they do all season.

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

For what it’s worth, I heard last week we were expecting Clarke back fit for this one. Whether that’s still the case I don’t know, but I wouldn’t rule him out starting tomorrow after Forsyths erratic form. 

I wouldn't call Forsyths form erratic. One man of the match performance followed by 7 abysmally awful ones isn't erratic - pretty consistent really.

7 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Best feet in the team? What does that mean? He constantly gives the ball away! he runs around a bit granted but that’s it. 

It means he can control the ball, run with it and keep the ball close to his feet when doing it and at pace. 

gives the ball away ?  An issue common with most of our makeshift patched up injury hit team. Wrong to single him out especially as he is consistently our most energetic player who takes the fight to the opponent rather than going backwards. At least he takes the right sort of risk ! 

personally I am looking forward to him playing with Rooney rather than Lawrence. 

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

What astounds me is that people still keep thinking that Marriott can play the lone striker role. Apart from him only getting 7 minutes and 42 seconds per match, he is played out of position more often than not. Fitness and attitude may be playing a part, but not using him to his strengths is a major problem, which may be feeding back into his attitude problem.

Neither is it any use play him in a two up front with Waghorn because Waggy isn’t the right man for that role either, even though Captain Cocu keeps trying that combination. Come on, let’s give Marriott a run alongside Chris Martin, with the midfield playing a few yards further up the pitch so the whole shebang can work together as a unit. We can have Martin feeding Marriott and midfielders running through onto Chris’s lay-offs. Who knows, it might even be difficult for the opposition to defend against, instead of being able to pitch 3 Neanderthals against one lone striker.

Don't be silly that far too adventurous and rational.

18 minutes ago, jono said:

It means he can control the ball, run with it and keep the ball close to his feet when doing it and at pace. 

gives the ball away ?  An issue common with most of our makeshift patched up injury hit team. Wrong to single him out especially as he is consistently our most energetic player who takes the fight to the opponent rather than going backwards. At least he takes the right sort of risk ! 

personally I am looking forward to him playing with Rooney rather than Lawrence. 

We must be watching a different player then as I haven’t seen any of that. I have never seen him take the game to the opposition, I certainly haven’t seen him create anything positive for us, and I think he’s got 1 goal since he’s been here. In fact all I ever see is him run into the opposition. Our weak link imo id have Lawrence over him anytime, at least he scores and creates.

Archived