v Wigan Athletic (A) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It seemed like you were ridiculing posters for stating Wigan are an aggressive team before we've played them... rather than questioning whether our management and players will recognise it.

For avoidance of doubt not ridiculing posters actually trying to emphasise if they have all that data at their disposal then I would expect it to be acted upon by the management team at the club. 

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wigan's not part of Greater London yet is it????????

Maybe we can scratch a draw...........if we revert back to the diamond a win might even be on the cards!

A lot rests on Beilik being fit, we've got half a chance if he's in there with Knight and some of the other players actually bother to turn up. Without him then it's pretty much a lost cause!

Harmer

Bogle    Wisdom     Davies     Lowe

Beilik

Holmes         Knight 

Lawrence (although he's so off form I could be tempted by Sibley)

Marriott/Waghorn Martin

Can't decide between Marriott and Waghorn, one is so far out of form and couldn't trap a wet bag of cement and the other is so far out of form and injury prone. If Marriott has ANOTHER niggle I'd bring Trialist up into the squad. 

Also not sure between Lawrence and Sibley, again Lawrence is ridiculously out of form but he's put in his best performances in a Derby shirt when at the point of the diamond, also if it's going to be a blood and thunder game it might not be the best one to start Sibley in given his occasional lack of restraint. 

Midfield is the best we can hope for till Shinnie returns/we sign new players. My preferred choice from the current options would be Beilik, Shinnie and Knight which I think potentially has a nice balance.

Defence picks itself due to lack of options, apart from Fozzy needing a rest and Wisdom showing what he can do as a CB!

1 hour ago, Pearl Ram said:

Dack plays for Blackburn so is not a worry for our Wigan game, I watched a bit of their match last night and thought it was a bit ale house but you have to remember it was a Lancashire Derby. That said, I’m fairly confident Wigan will try to bully us, I thought their centre half was a bit of a thug. 

Anyone know if it’s going to be on the red button ?

It's not on the red button - could be a blessing! ?

27 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah, why is that though all the other games seem to be covered?

I think 3pm non-Saturday games can be shown on red button if the home team agrees to it, Wigan probably said no as they'd hope for a bumper crowd on Boxing Day, maybe even above 8,000!

4 minutes ago, Carnero said:

I think 3pm non-Saturday games can be shown on red button if the home team agrees to it, Wigan probably said no as they'd hope for a bumper crowd on Boxing Day, maybe even above 8,000!

Have to listen to Radio Derby and Ed Dawes - break out the sherry!!! ?

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Have to listen to Radio Derby and Ed Dawes - break out the sherry!!! ?

I listened to the radio Derby commentary on Saturday for the first time this season and was surprised at the fairly positive commentary and aftermatch thoughts... I knew it must have been a reasonable enough performance, if not result, compared to how they normally seem to be, when I listen to the aftermatch reaction when driving home from a game!

Think I'll give it another go on Thursday.

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Morsy is now one yellow away from a 2 match ban. It'll be interesting to see if he plays his usual thuggish game risking a ban for Forest and Brum, or ease off it a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if they target Lawrence, trying to get him his 10th yellow of the season as well. They'll be hoping for set-pieces as that's their only strength - 8 of their 20 goals this season have come this way.

It's hard to see how Lawrence has got 9 yellows. Petulance and dissent? Anyway, if he get's 10 he can have his usual rest on matchdays without needing to put on the shirt I guess.

3 minutes ago, DCFC Ram said:

It's hard to see how Lawrence has got 9 yellows. Petulance and dissent? Anyway, if he get's 10 he can have his usual rest on matchdays without needing to put on the shirt I guess.

Was booked for his first foul on Saturday (again). In the same period of the game the Reading players were making similar fouls that weren't even deemed to be free kicks.

He tackles like a forward, but I think the most pertinent fact was that he'd had a bit of a go at the referee only seconds before for not giving one of said fouls. 

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah, why is that though all the other games seem to be covered?

Amazing coincidence - the only matches on the red button are those which involve London-based clubs i.e. Millwall, Charlton & Fulham whilst Brentford & QPR both feature in the main games. 

How minutes into the game will it be before someone hilariously suggests that one or more Derby players have eaten too much Christmas pud or turkey? 

3 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Right so you have managed to identify that from your own research, what's the betting that the summary of the game is that we were bullied by Wigan and got done over by a free kick or corner?

My point is that this data is readily available, if nothing is done with that said data by the manager to influence the outcome of said game then that's totally unacceptable

Calm down dear its only football. 

4 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

For avoidance of doubt not ridiculing posters actually trying to emphasise if they have all that data at their disposal then I would expect it to be acted upon by the management team at the club. 

That’s very easy to say if you have a full squad to change and swap around ,set up differently, but truth is when you are constantly down to the bare bones it’s hard enough to put your own team out never mind act on the data available regards the opposition, lets play another centre half ,,ooops , lets play an extra dm,,oops,   Lets pack the midfield,oooops,, lets?????

On 22 December 2019 at 23:44, uttoxram75 said:

The Uttoxeter Rams flag is going for its annual airing so it will be a 3-0 win for the Rams. No question. When Wayne makes his debut it will be 3 wins on the bounce and eieieio will be the song of choice going into the new year.

Plenty of pictures please. I want to see every one in the away end flinging talc about and dancing around your flag!

@uttoxram75 remember slow down!

3 hours ago, Carnero said:

I listened to the radio Derby commentary on Saturday for the first time this season and was surprised at the fairly positive commentary and aftermatch thoughts... I knew it must have been a reasonable enough performance, if not result, compared to how they normally seem to be, when I listen to the aftermatch reaction when driving home from a game!

Think I'll give it another go on Thursday.

It was a reasonably positive commo from RD. It helps when we look like we're trying I reckon... 

Archived