v Wigan Athletic (A) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear Philip, 

I was wondering if you could point out to the lads Middlesbrough are at home to Huddersfield the same day we play at Wigan. Now, being as the Boro game has got a draw written all over it, it might be handy for us to go for the win and put a bit of daylight between us and them.

Could you ask the lads if they would mind putting on a bit of a show for those travelling especially.

Thank you, Merry Christmas and best of luck, 

Pearl Ram.

Crazy that Wigan had to play last night right before the busy Christmas schedule. That's got to work in out favour.

With their dire form and lack of rest, plus our reasonable performance vs Reading and all those fans cheering us on, I'm full of confidence for this one.

If Cocu gets the tactics right and the players give it their all, I'm sure we can turn our away form around and get a famous 0-0 on Boxing Day.

I watched the game yesterday and was struggling to believe how dirty they played. This one will be a game made for a strong ref and we all know that ain't gonna happen. Dack will be out most likely rest of the season, we simply cannot take more injuries.

I hope we'll beat them for good and they get relegated as well. Thanks for the visit but you better stay in the League 1 before you know how to respect the opponent and how football should be played.

Bamfords.

Dack plays for Blackburn so is not a worry for our Wigan game, I watched a bit of their match last night and thought it was a bit ale house but you have to remember it was a Lancashire Derby. That said, I’m fairly confident Wigan will try to bully us, I thought their centre half was a bit of a thug. 

Anyone know if it’s going to be on the red button ?

What I would like,                             
                             Hamer.

Wisdom.   Davies.   Forsyth.

Bogle.   Knight.   Bielik.   Sibley.   Lowe.

Martin.     Marriott.

What I think he’ll do, 

Hamer.

Bogle.    Davies.    Forsyth.    Lowe.

Bielik.        Knight.

Waghorn.    Lawrence.     Holmes.

Martin.

7 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

Dack plays for Blackburn so is not a worry for our Wigan game, I watched a bit of their match last night and thought it was a bit ale house but you have to remember it was a Lancashire Derby. That said, I’m fairly confident Wigan will try to bully us, I thought their centre half was a bit of a thug. 

Anyone know if it’s going to be on the red button ?

I think @Dimmu meant that if Wigan play like that against us, we can't afford a similar injury to the one that happened to Dack, with all our current injuries.

If Clarke is fit he has to come back in. We are playing a left back at centre half. Worth noting Forsyth started his career as a left midfielder... 

My team would be: 

Hamer 

Bogle, Davies, Clarke, Fozzy/Lowe

Bielik, Knight 

Waghorn, Sibley, Holmes 

Martin 

or have a real go: 

Hamer

Bogle, Davies, Clarke, Fozzy/Lowe 

Bielik

Knight, Holmes

Sibley 

Martin, Marriott/Waghorn

Still looking forward to Boxing Day football! Cant beat it! COYR. 

Morsy is now one yellow away from a 2 match ban. It'll be interesting to see if he plays his usual thuggish game risking a ban for Forest and Brum, or ease off it a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if they target Lawrence, trying to get him his 10th yellow of the season as well. They'll be hoping for set-pieces as that's their only strength - 8 of their 20 goals this season have come this way.

It's pathetic that various posters on here have already identified that Wigan are a physical team and will try and bully us and inevitably the synopsis of the match will be that the result on Boxing Day was down to Wigan imposing their physical presence on us..... saying that we will probably win about 5 - 0.

Anyway point being that if laymen posting on here can identify how Wigan will set themselves up then I would expect our manager to be able to also identify that AND combat it. 

Rant over. 

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

It's pathetic that various posters on here have already identified that Wigan are a physical team and will try and bully us and inevitably the synopsis of the match will be that the result on Boxing Day was down to Wigan imposing their physical presence on us..... saying that we will probably win about 5 - 0.

Anyway point being that if laymen posting on here can identify how Wigan will set themselves up then I would expect our manager to be able to also identify that AND combat it. 

Rant over. 

They've committed the second most fouls in the league (second to Wednesday), and have the second highest percentage of goals from set-pieces (second to Birmingham). They're also 5th for yellows received (top for yellows relating to fouls) second to only Boro for red cards. Players such as Morsy are well known for their thuggish style.

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

They've committed the second most fouls in the league (second to Wednesday), and have the second highest percentage of goals from set-pieces (second to Birmingham). They're also 5th for yellows received (top for yellows relating to fouls) second to only Boro for red cards. Players such as Morsy are well known for their thuggish style.

Right so you have managed to identify that from your own research, what's the betting that the summary of the game is that we were bullied by Wigan and got done over by a free kick or corner?

My point is that this data is readily available, if nothing is done with that said data by the manager to influence the outcome of said game then that's totally unacceptable

6 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Right so you have managed to identify that from your own research, what's the betting that the summary of the game is that we were bullied by Wigan and got done over by a free kick or corner?

My point is that this data is readily available, if nothing is done with that said data by the manager to influence the outcome of said game then that's totally unacceptable

It seemed like you were ridiculing posters for stating Wigan are an aggressive team before we've played them... rather than questioning whether our management and players will recognise it.

Archived