Cocu in or out?

IslandExile

Cocu out?  

602 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Put the sherry down buddy. You'll be hungover for the Big Day. ?

Crack pipe?

Honestly mate me and the lads are feeling up or down and looking at the league we think we can get up it.

If we sack Cocu we deserve to go down for being so stupid and never learning.

If we win,next time I see you I’ll treat you to a pie even if it’s Wembley prices(up to a tenner further t&c’s may apply).

1 minute ago, Rolleston said:

Cocu has to go, I can't accept that 22 games into the season, he can't get his players organised, he is not getting anywhere near enough out of the ones he has. Bringing in new faces won't change the fact that Cocu hasn't got a clue.

Out of 15 posts you've posted 13 times that Cocu needs sacking, including back in September. No manager will succeed when they've got fans putting a knife to their throat virtually as soon as they've taken the job. 

19 hours ago, Coconut said:

The attempted style of play is a patient, measured passing game which doesn't commit too many men forward (there's a valid argument to say not enough men forward given the preferred(?) formation has 2 holding midfielders) but when it sees/creates an opportunity to spring into life isn't afraid to take it through some more direct play.

I never want to see 2 DMs but when Bielik isn't fit we don't actually have any players who can play there on their own, so it becomes a necessity.

Take Rowettball, but instead of the primary function of the team being to sit back, keep 10 men behind the ball and wait for a counter attacking option it wants more control of the ball. We don't just want to let the opposition play their game and rely on a player like Weimann chasing long balls to the channel (when it works it works!) but if we can look at how the opposition play and exploit their weaknesses then hey, why not?

It doesn't exclude us playing attractive football. I've seen people call for Chris Hughton and cite how many goals his Brighton team scored in this league as proof that they were an entertaining team to watch, but he's in the same mould. Chris Hughton teams are the perfect example of horses for courses and Liam Rosenior is a protege of Hughton. If Derby currently had (in their prime)  Lewis Dunk (Clarke would do just as well), Anthony Knockaert (compare him to Lawrence, I dare you!) and Glenn Murray up front (compared to Martin 3 years, 2 unsuccessful loans and one serious health issue later) and I'm sure we'd be looking a healthier prospect.

I can hear you say it now, "Well why didn't we go for Hughton then?". Mainly, I assume (could be wrong), because a he's not interested in developing youth players? We may as well just ignore the academy altogether with him in charge. That's not what we want. Cocu has been given different targets and ambitions.

It's OK to say "let them worry about us!" but that doesn't always work. The best football we've played all decade was the 2013/14 Mac1 season, but when it came to the crunch (Mighty Boosh reference) we found ourselves lacking in just a few too many matches, some teams found it easy to play against us. The 2014/15 season had us playing a more measured, less gung-ho game and (until January/February and the en-masse injuries) and I firmly believe that we'd have won the league at a canter had we been able to pick the same line-up which got us top of the table* at Christmas (*citation needed).

Back to the present (hey, it is Christmas, I hope you have a fantastic one, none of this is personal!)

What Cocu wants to do and what players he has to do it with are worlds apart.

We could have spent the past 6 months developing a style which suits the players available (I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what that would be, exactly, and how the players available fit into it!) and be in a better position now, but if we have ambitions to be better than that then we've just wasted 6 months perfecting a style we don't want to take forward and one which is totaly the opposite of the one we want to lay out as a club, from the U15s to the U23s.

Take the Boro & Preston home games (results + performance) and the last match against Reading (performance, not result), take the good things from them and use them as a basis for your opinion on where he wants to take us. Put Clarke, Shinnie, Huddlestone, a fully fit Bielik, a fully fit Marriott back in the team, add Rooney, add another competent CB, add a more consistent winger than Lawrence into the team and we may well start to carry out 'the plan'.

If it comes to March 2019 and we still exhibit all of the problems we've seen in the past 3 months then, yes, I will start to worry. Until then, just relax! Ranting on the internet won't change anything!

There is a plan in place, regardless of current form, whether you can see it or not.

Whilst I agree with some of what you say about the current style of play it’s still not necessarily nice. 
Any football that makes me question why I paid over £1,000 for season tickets and then makes me want to stay at home rather than drive to the ground isn't good is it.

Thank you for making tour point so comprehensively and respectfully, it is opinions and maybe you have changed mine slightly after your post. 

Have a great Christmas ......COYR

7 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Out of 15 posts you've posted 13 times that Cocu needs sacking, including back in September. No manager will succeed when they've got fans putting a knife to their throat virtually as soon as they've taken the job. 

Can't fault them for not being consistent I guess.

Though I do struggle to grasp the casual link between the success of a manager and the opinions which are posted on a independent fans forum. 

20 hours ago, thelovebelow said:

I think that's the balance he's struggling with. We saw in some games there are no options further forward so created no changes. Conversely Reading away we had too many forward and conceded a penality. 

In my honest opinion, I think he's used to players with more technical ability and tactical know how. He started the season wanting one touch football, but soon abandoned that as soon as he realised the players were not up to it. 

He needs more his kind of players, technical players, before we'll see the real Cocu team we want to see. 

I can see that balance in the last few games, I'm sure he'll get there, sooner than later. 

Malone has pushed high up the pitch because we were in possession of the ball. Davies cheaply gave the ball away thus Malone being caught out. Davies and Forsyth have been guilty of this in almost every game they’ve played this season. The problem is, we have no one available to replace them with. Until we can we won’t be close to playing the way Coco wants. With Clarke back in training and talk of Benkovic coming in, I have high hopes on things improving in the new year.

Hamer’s distribution is a problem too. Too slow and too long far too often. We need Roos back in or we’ll need to recruit another GK. 

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Malone has pushed high up the pitch because we were in possession of the ball. Davies cheaply gave the ball away thus Malone being caught out. Davies and Forsyth have been guilty of this in almost every game they’ve played this season. The problem is, we have no one available to replace them with. Until we can we won’t be close to playing the way Coco wants. With Clarke back in training and talk of Benkovic coming in, I have high hopes on things improving in the new year.

Hamer’s distribution is a problem too. Too slow and too long far too often. We need Roos back in or we’ll need to recruit another GK. 

We're desperately short of an ability to create chances. I don't think a bit of goalkeeping footwork is gonna make that much difference. Midfield creativity and drive plus a winger or two. If we're attacking then they're not.

Archived