Morris has bought shame on himself tonight

rammieib

@G STAR RAM

Why don’t the club have more social responsibility? Aren’t the players heroes and idols for young boys and girls? Don’t youngsters look up to them? More so than regular people in regular professions? How many kids say ‘When I grow up, I want to be like Player X.’? Why do clubs have community trusts and pride themselves on being ‘family clubs’ in that case?

Brand loyalty? You are making it sound like I have an iPhone and I can just trade it in for a Samsung. We have no emotional attachment to brands. We do have emotional attachment to football clubs and they drive us to do or feel things that brands cannot. I couldn’t just decide to support Burton Albion as easily as I could decide to change the phone I have or which supermarket I shop at, for example. 

Innocent until proven guilty? I agree with the principle. But when you have videos of drunken antics going viral and images of smashed up cars on newspaper front pages and your club’s captain out for 15 months due to an ‘alcohol-related incident’, what is there to prove? It’s all pretty damning.

I am a teacher. I am subject to criminal background checks. I am held to the same standard and you could argue even higher. I interact with children on a daily basis. I know what I say and what I do can influence young people and that to varying extents, they look up to me. My actions and how lawful they are are the difference between whether I can teach or not. 

And if I were caught drink driving, I would expect to be suspended until further notice. It would be the same for speeding, or any other criminal act. I would expect them to investigate and then ultimately decide the best course of action.

And yes, I think a suspension of some kind should apply for speeding, assault, any potentially unlawful offence a footballer may commit, until the issue is resolved.

And I hate to say it, but I imagine if it was a regular club employee, they would be sacked in the blink of an eye with the perceived idea that they are expendable.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

I’m so close to being done with this club. Season tickets aren’t easy for me to afford. From feeling satisfied Mel was dealing with things to feeling he’s paid lip service to appease us on Saturday and I’m disgusted yet again. 

So close to being done with it?? Get gone then. And heres me, thought about it for 5 seconds and enjoyed the game. Get over it. Shat happens. 

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

To be fair I dont think he is a WUM normally.

One of the very few red dogs that has regularly posted on here through their bad and very bad times, so dont resent him gloating now they have the upper hand for a month or two!

Normally tend to agree with his opinions too  hence why I am slightly surprised in his stance on this.

I was shocked that he is apparently 31, always thought he must be 14 or 15 given the standards of his posts

33 minutes ago, GenBr said:

So what you are saying is that you agree with his stance? He said they shouldnt be put straight back in the team before any punishment has been meted out. And yes that is exactly what a large number of Derby fans are saying - both on here, in resl life and the rest of social medua. Anyone who thinks they should have played last night is definitely in the minority. Did you actually read his posts before lashing out just because he is a Forest fan?

Yes read his post.

Didnt lash out at all.

Just trying to work out if he would apply same principles to a Forest player or if it was just a point scoring exercise.

If MM has anything to do with picking Bennett in the squad then I agree he should walk. Anybody who thinks that boy can play at this level isn’t right IMO (yes I know Lampard loved him as well) 

I have a lad of 7, he favourite Derby player is TL. He Is not though a role model for him, in any shape or form, why would any footballer who earns obscene amounts of money and lives a lifestyle that is not the norm be someone you want your child to aspire to be.

Parents should be the role model, TL getting done for DD should not be an excuse for any behavioural issues for anyone, children should know right from wrong, and in any case TL didn’t sign up to be a role model for anyone.

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

@G STAR RAM

Why don’t the club have more social responsibility? Aren’t the players heroes and idols for young boys and girls? Don’t youngsters look up to them? More so than regular people in regular professions? How many kids say ‘When I grow up, I want to be like Player X.’? Why do clubs have community trusts and pride themselves on being ‘family clubs’ in that case?

Brand loyalty? You are making it sound like I have an iPhone and I can just trade it in for a Samsung. We have no emotional attachment to brands. We do have emotional attachment to football clubs and they drive us to do or feel things that brands cannot. I couldn’t just decide to support Burton Albion as easily as I could decide to change the phone I have or which supermarket I shop at, for example. 

Innocent until proven guilty? I agree with the principle. But when you have videos of drunken antics going viral and images of smashed up cars on newspaper front pages and your club’s captain out for 15 months due to an ‘alcohol-related incident’, what is there to prove? It’s all pretty damning.

I am a teacher. I am subject to criminal background checks. I am held to the same standard and you could argue even higher. I interact with children on a daily basis. I know what I say and what I do can influence young people and that to varying extents, they look up to me. My actions and how lawful they are are the difference between whether I can teach or not. 

And if I were caught drink driving, I would expect to be suspended until further notice. It would be the same for speeding, or any other criminal act. I would expect them to investigate and then ultimately decide the best course of action.

And yes, I think a suspension of some kind should apply for speeding, assault, any potentially unlawful offence a footballer may commit, until the issue is resolved.

And I hate to say it, but I imagine if it was a regular club employee, they would be sacked in the blink of an eye with the perceived idea that they are expendable.

Look on the bright side - if you're an employee of Derby County and you crash your car whilst being severely over the limit and severely injure a passenger, you won't be suspended and probably be back to work the next day. (If MB/TL were back in training almost immediately).

They've set their own precedent here. I'd be interested to read the DCFC Disciplinary policy.

29 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Look on the bright side - if you're an employee of Derby County and you crash your car whilst being severely over the limit and severely injure a passenger, you won't be suspended and probably be back to work the next day. (If MB/TL were back in training almost immediately).

They've set their own precedent here. I'd be interested to read the DCFC Disciplinary policy.

Lloris played, alonso played, Adam Johnson played after trouble with the law..... there’s no precedent set by us..... 

34 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Just out of interest, have you ever broken the law?

1 hour ago, AdamRam said:

I have a lad of 7, he favourite Derby player is TL. He Is not though a role model for him, in any shape or form, why would any footballer who earns obscene amounts of money and lives a lifestyle that is not the norm be someone you want your child to aspire to be.

Parents should be the role model, TL getting done for DD should not be an excuse for any behavioural issues for anyone, children should know right from wrong, and in any case TL didn’t sign up to be a role model for anyone.

Good post.

Anyone who has children that see a modern day footballer as a role model needs to take a look at themselves.

If I catch my lad acting like any of them he will be grounded indefinitely.

1 hour ago, Turk Thrust said:

Agree. It's a difficult line to take. We must remember that the club is a multi million pound business and the strongest side needs to be played. Someone has said that they would rather the club was relegated than play those two. Extreme to say the least!

As much as I am pizsed  off with them ,pardon the pun . Players come and go. DCFC are my club ,in my blood and dna. And these morons aren't ever going to change that.

16 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

To my mind,the two of them need to be subject to disciplinary measures by the club and criminal charges by the police resulting in a courts judgements on the incident.

In the meantime they shouldn't be sitting on their arses at home,lounging about,they have a job of work to do for the club and they can bloody well pitch in and give their all for the club together with whatever punishment is eventually deemed appropriate 

Whilst the club has to look bigger picture, league position etc. I think they'd have been wiser to suspend them both pending disciplinary/legal proceedings. I wonder how much their contracts, our disciplinary procedures and PFA input feeds into this?

I can understand Cocu wanting to move on from it, it was probably too soon. Not sure this is Mel's call alone but the club must have known they'd be heavily scrutinised after the incident.

16 hours ago, Steadybreeze said:

Thats some reward for acting the way they did, personally i'm disgusted to see them back this soon, not even sure i want them at the club at all. I wont be going Saturday, bit of a pointless protest seeing as the club already has my season ticket money but it doesn't sit well with me at all and i'm not going to give the club my support at the weekend.

It wasn't a reward. I sure Cocu didn't select them BECAUSE of what they are alleged to have done.

16 hours ago, Brummie Steve said:

If either Lawrence or Bennett enter a plea of not guilty or hire an expensive lawyer to plead mitigation they will bring themselves, the club and professional football into disrepute and should sever all connections with DCFC forthwith.

I was shocked that either of them was picked tonight but felt that the crowd were kinder than they might have been.

How many of us would expect to keep our jobs and salaries unaffected if we had behaved like them once they (finally) set foot outside the Joiners? (Especially if we nearly killed our team leader!)

How would be bringing the club into disrepute?

Picking out Mel here is a bit unfair (though manna from heaven for Mel’s little band of haters).  There will have been a lot of people (all of whom are closer to events than any of us) involved in the decision, and I’m sure the final say was Cocu’s.  FWIW I don’t think the decision to play them is ‘shameful’, but if others do then fair enough.  

I do think the decision was a bit naive and Ill considered, as it was bound to create a degree of both genuine and faux outrage.  It would probably have been better to let the dust settle, see what the courts have to say and have a period of reflection and contemplation about what reasonable sanctions the club might want to take over and above what the laws of the land might impose (subject of course to what the club could legally do themselves...).

Although the quality of the player should have nothing to do with this (and some discussions I’ve seen are definitely wrongly conflating the two issues), I think we could have managed without either player for a short period to let tempers subside.

As others have pointed out, plenty of footballers have broken the law and continued to play, just as many people in the public eye have broken laws, have been punished (sometimes) but have been allowed to carry on in their respective roles.  I don’t think the club is necessarily setting any precedent in this case, nor has it done anything morally repugnant (in my view), but it hasn’t done itself any favours in giving a very big stick anybody who wants to beat us with it - both within our own fanbase and beyond.

I suppose whenever they came back into the squad was going to be difficult. Perhaps they decided it was better to do it away from home at a game with a relatively low profile opponent, get it over and done with and then move on pending the outcome of police action. I think Cocu will also want to consider the rest of the playing squad. If he is seen to have supported them the rest of the squad might feel their employer backs them. The alternative is that the rest of the squad feel their colleagues (and dont forget for some of them their close friends) have been thrown under a bus. In that scenario the season has the potential to disintegrate. 

Cocu's interview was interesting after the game, he basically said the disciplinary procedure is still ongoing and they will be hit with severe penalties. He can not say what that will be to the public just yet, but he hinted he knew exactly what was going to happen to them.

Ryan Giggs has picked TL for the Welsh squad after speaking to the player and the club. He explains his reasoning behind this in interviews. 

I'm disgusted by what happened and they were so lucky a lorry or car was travelling along the A6 at the time of the accident as it could have been so much worse. The full story will come out in the next few weeks no doubt.

Archived