Morris has bought shame on himself tonight

rammieib

7 hours ago, Archied said:

Were they banned for one game or just given time to sober up and get they’re cars fixed?

I was about to post a similar response, but "time to clear their heads and get over the incident"... and for once I wouldn't have been looking for a "laughing face" response!
It does make you wonder how various conversations have gone, behind the scenes, and what exactly was the thinking behind that missed solitary game!

I guess we'll never know, as always.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must be at odds with everybody on here, cause I tend to think the majority of the blame is down to the club.

So we sanction a bonding session at a pub, for the staff, players etc.. all ok, but we don't insist they go home in a taxi

provided by the club, none of this would have happened had everyone been collected and dropped back off. So the 

actual decision was made by two young players, who had already had several drinks - there's the problem IMO, they 

shouldn't have been in that position in the first place. I also wouldn't have played them yet, not til after the court case,

but do think they deserve a second chance, can't agree with destroying two careers, over a street sign, or what might

have happened - as it didn't!

7 hours ago, Coconut said:

If a player came out and said "I refuse to play for Derby County if Tom Lawrence or Mason Bennett are in the side" people would probably slag them off for putting their personal morals over helping the the rest of the team, for dropping those not involved in the incident in the poo when they most need assistance.

Which reminds me... anyone know the details of Marriott's injury?  Seem's to have taken most of us by surprise!

7 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Fair point. But, for me, the court case is external from the club. The club will know exactly what happened and, providing they don’t go to jail, the outcome of the case shouldn’t affect the club’s decisions.

Obviously surmising here, but what if they prove to be 6x over the legal limit? (And I sincerely hope that wasn't the case!).
Would the club currently know what the test results were/are?  Genuine question... I have no idea.  

Is there any likelihood that details come out in court that are not currently known by the club?  How much is known by the club at this stage, regards rumours/allegations regarding leaving the scene of an accident etc?  How much is known by the club at this stage, regards rumours/allegations regarding reactions of individuals towards the emergency services at the scene?  Is there any proof (or evidence) of speeds involved, immediately prior to the accident.  Surely whatever the speed limit of that stretch, 90mph would appear to be "worse" than 60mph?

Can DCFC honestly and faithfully say they are in receipt of the full facts, at this stage?

I appreciate none of us can answer that, but I do wonder, hence my opinion that we should all... including DCFC as a club... wait for the court case, before deciding how best to move forward.

8 hours ago, Brummie Steve said:

If either Lawrence or Bennett enter a plea of not guilty or hire an expensive lawyer to plead mitigation they will bring themselves, the club and professional football into disrepute and should sever all connections with DCFC forthwith.

I was shocked that either of them was picked tonight but felt that the crowd were kinder than they might have been.

How many of us would expect to keep our jobs and salaries unaffected if we had behaved like them once they (finally) set foot outside the Joiners? (Especially if we nearly killed our team leader!)

Playing devil's advocate here, but I can't think of any person in my working history who has been fired from their job for a drink driving offence.

(I am not saying it is right)

4 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Playing devil's advocate here, but I can't think of any person in my working history who has been fired from their job for a drink driving offence.

(I am not saying it is right)

There have been times in my Derby watching days that I have suspected some of being guilty of drink playing.

6 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Another PR own goal for the club. Have we had so many that we are simply immune to the effects?

With such issues of morality, you can’t please everyone. But it tells you everything when suspending both players until further notice would have upset absolutely no-one - a simpler decision I couldn’t imagine.

Suspending these players for just one game will upset people. It sends out the wrong message. It trivialises reckless criminal behaviour. It sets poor standards.  And ultimately, the players learn nothing. They are still able to do what they know and love.

The club looks soft and it gives you the impression that they are not taking the matter seriously when they are effectively putting endangering lives by drink driving on a par with getting two yellow cards in a game. A non-event, a non-issue in their eyes.

Some might say it’s not the club’s responsibility to be judge, jury and executioner. But it is the club’s responsibility to set standards, to show what they will tolerate and what they expect from players representing their club.

To me, playing professional football and playing for and representing Derby County is a huge privilege. If someone abuses that privilege, you take it away. You give it back when that person has taken steps to atone for their behaviour and when that person shows that they value that privilege and deserve that privilege.

Has that happened in the space of a week?

Not meaning to single out your post here but it's the first one I've read this morning, I guess there will be plenty more of the same ilk.

Am I correct in assuming you've never broke the law at all?

Not going to trivialise drink driving, it's a serious offence, but the 'they could have killed someone' accusation is just the same for speeding. Would you want anyone convicted of speeding suspended?

I will admit that I was surprised that either of them played but if their employer deems it in theirs, and the clubs best interests, who are we to argue? We dont pay their wages. We are merely paying customers and, if unhappy, have the choice not to go.

All this talk of Mel Morris bringing shame upon himself and the club is absolute nonsense.

If you want to talk about shaming the club, take a look at the behaviour of a section of our fans. The away day experience is absolutely awful these days.

9 hours ago, philmycocu said:

I bet you wouldn't have posted this if we'd won?

Quite - Trying to look for a flouncy thread started at 6:45 yesterday evening, you know, when the team was announced rather than when we've just conceded in the last minute. Tells a story right?

There seems to be a trend to attack the poster if they happen to disagree with the clubs inebriated, brain dead, morally bankrupt position. If you agree with the feeble lack of leadership, and the deteriorating standard of permissible behaviour, just say why.

One of the most telling things here is that people seem to be looking at football owners, managers, clubs and players as some kind of up holder of moral standards and absolute role model. 

There in lies the problem!

If you are looking at the club as that then you are right to be outraged! BUT...your moral compass and life values are also way off! 

Football is ruled by money. There are numerous instances and allegations of corruption, assault, drink driving, drug taking, match fixing and even worse. 

So don't look at Derby County to uphold some moral code that is no existent and don't hold any footballer as a role model for your kids. 

Look at almost every other instance of drink driving and the club acted with a fine after the court hearing.

Rooney, Yaya Toure, Roberto Firminho, Hugo Loris  - all convicted and all fined by their club.

Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, Cannavaro, Mourinho - all convicted of tax fraud.

Troy Deeney - prison time for assault.

This isn't a game full of Angel's and role models. It's a game. Morally bankrupt but nevertheless we love it. See it for what it is.

2 hours ago, DesertRam said:

I must be at odds with everybody on here, cause I tend to think the majority of the blame is down to the club.

So we sanction a bonding session at a pub, for the staff, players etc.. all ok, but we don't insist they go home in a taxi

provided by the club, none of this would have happened had everyone been collected and dropped back off. So the 

actual decision was made by two young players, who had already had several drinks - there's the problem IMO, they 

shouldn't have been in that position in the first place. I also wouldn't have played them yet, not til after the court case,

but do think they deserve a second chance, can't agree with destroying two careers, over a street sign, or what might

have happened - as it didn't!

The players are adults, not children. The club had provided transport for those who wanted it. The very idea of an employer having to force a person in their mid 20s into a cab because they can't be trusted is absolutely laughable.

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Obviously surmising here, but what if they prove to be 6x over the legal limit? (And I sincerely hope that wasn't the case!).
Would the club currently know what the test results were/are?  Genuine question... I have no idea.  

Is there any likelihood that details come out in court that are not currently known by the club?  How much is known by the club at this stage, regards rumours/allegations regarding leaving the scene of an accident etc?  How much is known by the club at this stage, regards rumours/allegations regarding reactions of individuals towards the emergency services at the scene?  Is there any proof (or evidence) of speeds involved, immediately prior to the accident.  Surely whatever the speed limit of that stretch, 90mph would appear to be "worse" than 60mph?

Can DCFC honestly and faithfully say they are in receipt of the full facts, at this stage?

I appreciate none of us can answer that, but I do wonder, hence my opinion that we should all... including DCFC as a club... wait for the court case, before deciding how best to move forward.

If they have whitheld or lied about events to Cocu and Mel, I’d have no problem with them never playing for us again.

8 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Think innocent until proven guilty goes out the question when you fail a breath test. It’s pretty damn conclusive.

But putting that to one side, if any employee is under criminal investigation, then they should be suspended until we know the outcome. You can’t let someone under that cloud represent you. If theyre found innocent, then obviously pay them what they’re owed, and let them return as normal. If not, the fire them/suitably punish them. Fairly simple for me.

omg would you bring back public hanging as well,what you are suggesting goes against not just the UK legal system but others all over the world.Basically you are saying that if found guilty throw them out of football

1 minute ago, TommyPowel said:

omg would you bring back public hanging as well,what you are suggesting goes against not just the UK legal system but others all over the world.Basically you are saying that if found guilty throw them out of football

No, that isn’t remotely what I’m saying. I’ve always maintained they should be given a chance to rehabilitate themselves, just not here, if you read my posts. Not sure what public hanging has to do with suspending someone because they may have broke the law until we know whether they have or not.

3 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

If they have whitheld or lied about events to Cocu and Mel, I’d have no problem with them never playing for us again.

Yes, getting hammered on a midweek before a home game where you're desperate for a win due to the poor start, getting behind the wheel of a car, smashing it up, potentially ending your Captain's career and leaving the club short, dragging the club's name through the mud and making us a national laughing stock is one thing. But telling a lie to Mel? That's beyond the pale.

Just now, LittleEatonRam said:

Yes, getting hammered on a midweek before a home game where you're desperate for a win due to the poor start, getting behind the wheel of a car, smashing it up, potentially ending your Captain's career and leaving the club short, dragging the club's name through the mud and making us a national laughing stock is one thing. But telling a lie to Mel? That's beyond the pale.

Have you read my recent posts? If they have shown remorse and a desire to improve themselves since the incident, then I am fine with Cocu’s decision. Lying to him or Mel would suggest that they are trying to get away with it, indicating that they are not remorseful.

Archived