Morris has bought shame on himself tonight

rammieib

9 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

And a man with a 'Controversies' section this long on Wikipedia doesn't even slightly arouse your suspicions?

On 21 February 2011, Olympiacos beat Panathinaikos in Karaiskaki Stadium (2–1), after a controversial, regarding the referee's decisions, game. After the game, player Djibril Cissé had a wrangle with Olympiacos' president Marinakis. He was beaten by Olympiakos' fans and stated that he was going to appeal to the UEFA. The case of Cissé and Marinakis went to the Greek courts,[72] where Marinakis was found innocent.[73]

In 2015, the Public Prosecutor[74] and the Council of Judges[75] acquitted Marinakis in relation to the Koriopolis match-fixing investigation, that begun in 2011, that was launched after UEFA gave Greek authorities a report citing irregular betting patterns, mostly involving Greek Cup and second division games in 2009 and 2010.[76] He was accused of participating in a match-fixing criminal network[77] with links with seven countries.[78] At the time, UEFA officials said no action was presently being considered against Olympiacos regarding its participation in the Champions League in the following season, because evidence in the Greek investigation cast no doubt over its 2010–11 league victory.[79] Marinakis was charged with complicity to commit acts of bribery and match manipulation,[80][81] of instigation and facilitating acts of violence.[82] Marinakis, along with the president of second-division club Ilioupoli, Giorgos Tsakogiannis and others, cooperated so that a group of hardcore Olympiacos fans would travel on 13 March 2011 to a third division match and provoke riots to bring about a penalty. The prosecutor’s report says that "Tsakogiannis informed [Ioannis] Papadopoulos that he had made arrangements and Evangelos Marinakis was aware of the plan for Olympiacos fans to cause riots".[82] Marinakis was acquitted from all charges by the Prosecutor, Panagiotis Poulios,[83] and the Council of Judges.[84]

In 2014, Marinakis was acquitted by the Three Members Court of First Instance relatively to the case of entering the referee's (Thanassis Yiachos's) locker room at halftime[85] during the football cup final between Olympiacos and Asteras Tripolis, against football regulations to complain about the decisions taken. Marinakis stated that he went to the referee’s locker room at halftime only to wish match officials "good luck". Olympiacos went on and won the match 3–1, after a tense 1–1 at halftime.[86] In 2015 Marinakis was also acquitted by the Three Members Court of Appeals for the same case.[87]

Another investigation which led to the 2015 Greek football scandal, started in 2014 after prosecutor Aristidis Koreas was given the go-ahead by a council of judges[88] to make use of secretly recorded phone conversations[89] that point to the involvement of various sports officials, including Evangelos Marinakis. According to Koreas, "the president of Olympiakos and close associates approached and tried to use policemen, judges, politicians and other powerful figures for their own ends as part of the planning and establishment of a criminal organization".[88] According to the prosecutor, Marinakis was helped by the President of the Greek Football Association, Giorgos Sarris, to choose specific referees to oversee key games.[90] He has repeatedly denied all charges:[91] "These allegations have nothing to do with me and have no effect on me whatsoever," Marinakis said. "There is not one shred of evidence against me."[92] On 3 October 2014, Aristidis Koreas, though he was replaced as athletic prosecutor, he remained on the case.[93] Evangelos Marinakis was questioned on 18 June 2015 and he was released on a €200,000 bail. He was also forced to stop being involved in any football activity, as well as he must report to a police station every 15 days.[94][95] In September 2016, the prosecutor proposed the imprisonment of Mr Marinakis.[96] In November 2017, the judicial council of the Court of Appeals rejected imposing provisional custody on Evangelos Marinakis and also dropped various charges after deeming them "absolutely groundless".[97] Marinakis was also resigned from president of the team due to legal reasons, giving his seat to Yiannis Moralis.[98] On 26 March 2018, Marinakis was vindicated by the Greek Supreme Court. The decision of the Greek Supreme Court confirmed that the allegations against him were unfounded.[99]

In April 2019, the Supreme Civil and Criminal Court of Greece decided that Mr Marinakis with other 27, will have a trial for the 2015 Greek football scandal. The final accusations are the felony crime of "match fixing" and creation of a gang, instead of a criminal organization.[100][101]

Alleged drug trafficking[edit]

A Greek drug trafficking investigation that started in 2014, regarding ‘Noor 1’, a ship owned by P. Kalafatis, was investigated by the Greek Coast Guard, the DEA and the Greek judicial authorities and culminated in the conviction of various individuals and two arrest warrants for Turkish nationals.[102][103]

In March 2018, Marinakis was charged with drug trafficking.[104] The accusations against Marinakis were described as "very serious charges" following an investigation after the tanker Noor One was intercepted at the Greek port of Piraeus carrying 2.1 tonnes of heroin in 2014.[105] The judicial council of the Piraeus Lower Court touched on all related issues and ruled that the prosecutor’s order was not justified.[106]

Nottingham Forest F.C. chairman Nicholas Randall wrote an open letter to supporters reaffirming his support for Evangelos Marinakis. Randall confirmed the matter was under investigation but that "there is no ‘charge’ against Marinakis and no ‘prosecution’ is in process."[107]

A bit of a long read tbh...but it can be summarised in 3 words, fit and proper.

Let's face it if football banned all dodgy owners over the years there might not be that many left.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, DesertRam said:

That's the point I am making here - FOR THOSE WHO WANTED IT 

I know. I don't agree with you. I don't see why employers should be required to babysit their employees. In my opinion the employer isn't even obligated to provide transport, but they did and some players chose to stay in the bar. Are you seriously telling me that Derby County football club are somehow culpable because they didn't force their employees into taxis at 8pm against their wishes?

1 hour ago, YorkshireRam said:

Oh dear, you've still managed to miss the point. Not doing a world of good to disprove the forest stereotype here...

My point was to highlight how everyone can understand that someone is guilty of a crime but until it is proved in court, you can't label them as such. You've continually referred to Lawrence and Bennett as 'guilty' despite their trial not being for another 2 weeks but then didn't like it when I used the same rhetoric against your owner for his more heinous allegations...

My entire point was to illustrate the irony in your point, so yeah, still you ?

You never answered my question, if they're innocent how much you want to bet on it?

Aye, I thought as much ? 

1 hour ago, Red_Dawn said:

You never answered my question, if they're innocent how much you want to bet on it?

Aye, I thought as much ? 

Is your owner innocent is a far better question because if he's not, you're just a massive hypocrite really...?

That's the point i'm making, you can't go around labeling Lawrence and Bennett 'guilty' and then dislike when i do the same about your very dodgy owner ?

1 minute ago, YorkshireRam said:

Is your owner innocent is a far better question because if he's not, you're just a massive hypocrite really...?

That's the point i'm making, you can't go around labeling Lawrence and Bennett 'guilty' and then dislike when i do the same about your very dodgy owner ?

As I thought, you're as convinced of their guilty as I am. 

Marinakis's case is still open, and has been ongoing for a while. If he is found guilty then I don't imagine he'll be allowed to continue as owner of Olympiacos and Forest. 

However, until that time.. 

16 minutes ago, Red_Dawn said:

As I thought, you're as convinced of their guilty as I am. 

Marinakis's case is still open, and has been ongoing for a while. If he is found guilty then I don't imagine he'll be allowed to continue as owner of Olympiacos and Forest. 

However, until that time.. 

You mean exactly like you can't say Lawrence and Bennett are 'guilty' until after the verdict on the 15th?

Comprehension wasn't your strong point at school was it? ?

40 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

You mean exactly like you can't say Lawrence and Bennett are 'guilty' until after the verdict on the 15th?

Comprehension wasn't your strong point at school was it? ?

But they are though. Clearly. Without a shadow of a doubt. ?‍♂️

Going round in circles here mate. 

Just now, Red_Dawn said:

But they are though. Clearly. Without a shadow of a doubt. ?‍♂️

Going round in circles here mate. 

Just as your owner is...(despite it not being proved in a court of law, same as our boys)

But yeah, if you haven't grasped it by now, not sure you ever will. See what happens on Oct 15th I guess 

7 hours ago, Anon said:

I know. I don't agree with you. I don't see why employers should be required to babysit their employees. In my opinion the employer isn't even obligated to provide transport, but they did and some players chose to stay in the bar. Are you seriously telling me that Derby County football club are somehow culpable because they didn't force their employees into taxis at 8pm against their wishes?

The club obviously isn't culpable for the drunken actions of those involved. However as an employer (and community sports club), they are responsible for ensuring that appropriate and proportionate disciplinary action is taken.  

4 minutes ago, europia said:

The club obviously isn't culpable for the drunken actions of those involved. However as an employer (and community sports club), they are responsible for ensuring that appropriate and proportionate disciplinary action is taken.  

Are they, Why?

I don't necessarily disagree with you I just want you to explain your thoughts

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking just for the Mel Morris thread but thinking about it it does seem appropriate to put it in this one .I was lucky enough to be in the directors box last night as a guest of Wigan [awkward].

Now Mel has taken some stick over Joiners gate ,but at half time he looked a bit shell shocked at the performance .As we filed out he stood there politely and let other folk out before himself .

It was nice to see his face at full time, whatever else he is he's a decent bloke and I hope he gets what he wants.

10 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

I was looking just for the Mel Morris thread but thinking about it it does seem appropriate to put it in this one .I was lucky enough to be in the directors box last night as a guest of Wigan [awkward].

Now Mel has taken some stick over Joiners gate ,but at half time he looked a bit shell shocked at the performance .As we filed out he stood there politely and let other folk out before himself .

It was nice to see his face at full time, whatever else he is he's a decent bloke and I hope he gets what he wants.

You dirty rat, I hope you're overcome with Latic acid and have a minor cramp.

36 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

I just imagine you celebrating like Richard Hammond when we scored. One of my mates got invited to a Derby game at Norwich with hospitality and whatnot and had to make a hasty exit after over celebrating a Derby goal when he was there. At least you didn't have to go to Wigan for your match!

Archived