Morris has bought shame on himself tonight

rammieib

9 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not meaning to single out your post here but it's the first one I've read this morning, I guess there will be plenty more of the same ilk.

Am I correct in assuming you've never broke the law at all?

Not going to trivialise drink driving, it's a serious offence, but the 'they could have killed someone' accusation is just the same for speeding. Would you want anyone convicted of speeding suspended?

I will admit that I was surprised that either of them played but if their employer deems it in theirs, and the clubs best interests, who are we to argue? We dont pay their wages. We are merely paying customers and, if unhappy, have the choice not to go.

All this talk of Mel Morris bringing shame upon himself and the club is absolute nonsense.

If you want to talk about shaming the club, take a look at the behaviour of a section of our fans. The away day experience is absolutely awful these days.

Spot on ,I’m willing to bet those would be the ones singing mason Bennett is one of our own though

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, MarRam said:

Hi, first ever post though been long time reader. The situation though I thought worth commenting on.

I presume Lawrence and Bennett are being represented by the PFA on the legal side. It might they are being played now so there can be no evidence of unfair dismissal when it comes to whatever the court case results are ie they are shown to being presumed innocent till then. Obviously the club wouldn’t be able to say that was the reason.

I hope that’s the case, otherwise Cocu and Morris have lost respect 

Why have they lost respect !

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Just out of interest, have you ever broken the law?

Can we put this stupidity to bed please 

personaly I have broken the law lots as a kid/ young man as I’m sure others you question have too ,, the point is I was always punished for it and rightly so , I now consider myself a decent human being and behave accordingly and if I’m honest I have very little time for asshxles who get so drunk they make everybody’s life a misery at games ,in pubs ,on the streets , on holidays abroad , let alone the next step of getting behind the wheel of a killing machine ,

theres a formula ,, crap behaviour, cost/ punishment,rehabilitation over time if you choose it 

28 minutes ago, Archied said:

Spot on ,I’m willing to bet those would be the ones singing mason Bennett is one of our own though

Or maybe that was die hard fans who have decided that if the club have decided that they are going to play the players that they might as well get behind them because they want the team to do well?

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Or maybe that was die hard fans who have decided that if the club have decided that they are going to play the players that they might as well get behind them because they want the team to do well?

Could be but having been many many games I know what my money is on 

I’ve not read all the threads on this topic but wouldn’t it have been better for the pair of them to have made a media conference showing their remorse prior to first team selection in a Steve smith / David warner crying style show?

Perhaps then we’d understand how they feel because I get the feeling some folks issues is bring them straight back in looks like they and DCFC don’t care what they have done. 

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Good post.

Anyone who has children that see a modern day footballer as a role model needs to take a look at themselves.

If I catch my lad acting like any of them he will be grounded indefinitely.

If I catch my lad playing like some of them he will be grounded indefinitely.

8 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

I’ve not read all the threads on this topic but wouldn’t it have been better for the pair of them to have made a media conference showing their remorse prior to first team selection in a Steve smith / David warner crying style show?

Perhaps then we’d understand how they feel because I get the feeling some folks issues is bring them straight back in looks like they and DCFC don’t care what they have done. 

I'm sure privately they have said their piece to MM and PC, otherwise I doubt they would be back in the fold.

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'm sure privately they have said their piece to MM and PC, otherwise I doubt they would be back in the fold.

That’s my point ‘privately’ wouldn’t it have been better to show remorse to us the supporters / general public instead of nothing and them just rocking up to the second match after the event to most people’s amazement?

5 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

That’s my point ‘privately’ wouldn’t it have been better to show remorse to us the supporters / general public instead of nothing and them just rocking up to the second match after the event to most people’s amazement?

It would probably have been a better PR stunt but I'm sure that a lot would have said they can stick their apology up their arse.

Personally I really dont need to hear them apologise to me.

15 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

It would probably have been a better PR stunt but I'm sure that a lot would have said they can stick their apology up their arse.

Personally I really dont need to hear them apologise to me.

A point we agree on , apologies are just a very small start , it’s changing behaviour that only really means a can of beans

4 hours ago, LazloW said:

Picking out Mel here is a bit unfair (though manna from heaven for Mel’s little band of haters).  There will have been a lot of people (all of whom are closer to events than any of us) involved in the decision, and I’m sure the final say was Cocu’s.  FWIW I don’t think the decision to play them is ‘shameful’, but if others do then fair enough.  

I do think the decision was a bit naive and Ill considered, as it was bound to create a degree of both genuine and faux outrage.  It would probably have been better to let the dust settle, see what the courts have to say and have a period of reflection and contemplation about what reasonable sanctions the club might want to take over and above what the laws of the land might impose (subject of course to what the club could legally do themselves...).

Although the quality of the player should have nothing to do with this (and some discussions I’ve seen are definitely wrongly conflating the two issues), I think we could have managed without either player for a short period to let tempers subside.

As others have pointed out, plenty of footballers have broken the law and continued to play, just as many people in the public eye have broken laws, have been punished (sometimes) but have been allowed to carry on in their respective roles.  I don’t think the club is necessarily setting any precedent in this case, nor has it done anything morally repugnant (in my view), but it hasn’t done itself any favours in giving a very big stick anybody who wants to beat us with it - both within our own fanbase and beyond.

Reasonable post.

We'd just picked up our 1st home win without them, unchanged team for Barnsley would have surprised no-one, hopefully get a result then same goes for Saturday, the players are not suspended, but left out for football reasons.

International break, during which the trial takes place, see what punishment is handed down, then hand out our own punishment and reintegrate when appropriate.

Why create a drama when there was no need?

7 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Reasonable post.

We'd just picked up our 1st home win without them, unchanged team for Barnsley would have surprised no-one, hopefully get a result then same goes for Saturday, the players are not suspended, but left out for football reasons.

International break, during which the trial takes place, see what punishment is handed down, then hand out our own punishment and reintegrate when appropriate.

Why create a drama when there was no need?

Marriott was injured . 

1 hour ago, Remy the hare said:

You can't blame them for "rocking up" if they're picked up.

The public reaction/apology/signs of remorse needs to come after their court cases.

21 hours ago, G-Ram said:

Not really Morris' fault they played. In the press conference after the incident didnt cocu say it was his decision if they play? 

Mel cant win. Backs the manager lets them play as its ultimately the managers decision & gets accused of disgracing himself. If he tells cocu he cant play them then he is interfering with team selections

The whole situation is a mess. I was well annoyed last week but i think we all need to quietly move on and forget about it. Its been done & nobody can change it. Pointless keep going on about it 

Most would find it hard to believe that the selection of these two unsavoury characters wasn't discussed by Morris  and Philip Cocu. It's a decision that is as bizarre, as it is misguided and just wrong. In football terms, Lawrence has done little to deserve a place in the side since the Huddersfield game. Bennett is no more than a journeyman who probably peaked at 16 yrs of age. They are not world beaters and we can do without them. 

So we have to ask, why? Well, Morris is a businessman first and foremost and would be keen to protect his investment in the overpriced Lawrence. Having decided to punish Lawrence with only a one game ban (and possible fine), the same had to be applied to Bennett. Very sad times at DCFC.

I realise there are those who say, it was OK and they were right to be picked, that they are young, or that drink driving is not that serious. Some might question the moral compass of folk who think like this, but there we go.....

If I wa Lawrence and Bennett I'd be quite worried especially after reading this

Tony Adam's played for Arsenal and England fer young uns....

..On 6 May 1990,Tony  Adams crashed his Ford Sierra into a wall in Rayleigh and when breathalysed his blood alcohol level was found to be more than four times the legal drink-drive limit. On 19 December that year, at Southend Crown Court,[8][9][10] he was imprisoned for four months (being freed after half of his sentence on 15 February 1991)

Archived