Holiday plans 2020

Boycie

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Jesus Christ... can’t even imagine what she must have thought when it happened... properly harrowing. It’s a pretty poignant place to visit, the way they’ve done the memorial is perfect is a very sad way. Whole place is silent. When I was there, there was a fire down the street as well so all you could hear were the emergency vehicles... certainly a stark reminder of what happened there.

The memorial is something you can't miss in New York. My son is a Firie and gets back from over there tommorow. They started Sept 11 with Rescue Company 1 who lost 11 members. A widow of one of the firies brings his ashes to  the bar every 9/11  and the pipe and drum band march his ashes into the bar. image.thumb.png.31afac222748dadfb4ba990468c84c3c.png

I was just looking at Disneyland Paris for 5 of us. Found a deal I’m happy with, just working out the best way to get there. 

last time we went by train (Derby to st. Pancras to Paris), but that was just 3 of us. Don’t fancy it now we’re out numbered by kids. 

Self Drive is about 10 hrs. So you’re pretty much wasting a whole day either side. 

Current best plan is to drive down the Folkestone the night before, stop at a cheap trace lodge, then complete the journey the next morning. And the same on the way home. 

Any better ideas?

21 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I was just looking at Disneyland Paris for 5 of us. Found a deal I’m happy with, just working out the best way to get there. 

last time we went by train (Derby to st. Pancras to Paris), but that was just 3 of us. Don’t fancy it now we’re out numbered by kids. 

Self Drive is about 10 hrs. So you’re pretty much wasting a whole day either side. 

Current best plan is to drive down the Folkestone the night before, stop at a cheap trace lodge, then complete the journey the next morning. And the same on the way home. 

Any better ideas?

On an aeroplane?

I suspect similar to this year...

Maybe a sneaky bonus week half board in Nerja, Spain for my Jan birthday... but only if it's dirt cheap, like last January!

2 and a bit weeks camping Late May/early June, probably Belgium and Holland this time. (Went in June this year, so I could finally get my arse down to Wembley for the first time!)

12 days in Sept camping over the water again... usually South of France, but looks like we will be limited due to rushing back for a wedding, so might try Normandy/Brittany this time, as we haven't been over that way yet.

As many UK camping weekends as we can fit in.  Done 50 nights  in total so far this year... our best yet... and the year ain't over yet!  Hopefully get at least 2 more weekends in, before Santa comes.

One, if not two, weekends in Falmouth, visiting son.

Oh... and maybe a weekend in a hotel around central London/Covent Garden end of May... fingers crossed!

13 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Italian lakes next year.. Still to book.

Como or Garda anyone?

Garda everytime. Riva in north if you like watersports, windsurfing etc. Bardolino in south for more relaxing times. Just got back and have already booked for next September before prices rise, post Thomas Cook/Brexit

13 hours ago, Kernow said:

The girlfriend has been dropping subtle hints (nagging) about New York. Neither of us have ever been.

Any tips?

Fly in to Newark. Takes practically the same amount of time as it does from JFK or LGA.

If you can afford it, stay in Manhattan (you can usually get a great flight + hotel deal from Virgin Atlantic) otherwise don't:
Stay in Jersey City, Long Island City/Queensboro Bridge area, Brooklyn and save a ton. PATH from NJ for about 20 minutes into Manhattan. Others are a 10 minute trip on the subway to Manhattan.

Get a 7 day pass on the Subway. It's about $32 and it allows for unlimited trips on the Subway and MTA Buses.

Get the Staten Island Ferry and sail past the Statue of Liberty for free. 

Go up the Rockefeller Center as others have said, then you'll get the Empire State Building in your photos. It also has glass so you feel a bit more open and exposed compared to the ESB which has metal railings and also is a lot busier. Don't go up the World Trade Center, the observatory is indoor and you can feel a little cheated but it is the cheapest of the 3 choices. 

Visit Central Park, Madison Square Park (there's a big dog park inside it), Union Square.  

Try and eat in Brooklyn and you'll get better value for money on the food. Chelsea and Hells Kitchen are great for food too.

Due to the metropolitan area, you won't be able to visit many supermarkets and save money on food/snacks during this time. Get the Walgreen's app and sign up and you'll start accumulating money off from exercise/steps you've done. I did it for 4 months before I went and accumulated $10 to use in store. Not much but it helps! It's a good reward card to have as it knocks off dollars off getting a drink/crisps etc throughout the day.

Drink plenty of water and wear very comfortable trainers. Your feet will be in tatters!

1 minute ago, ThePrisoner said:

Fly in to Newark. Takes practically the same amount of time as it does from JFK or LGA.

If you can afford it, stay in Manhattan (you can usually get a great flight + hotel deal from Virgin Atlantic) otherwise don't:
Stay in Jersey City, Long Island City/Queensboro Bridge area, Brooklyn and save a ton. PATH from NJ for about 20 minutes into Manhattan. Others are a 10 minute trip on the subway to Manhattan.

Get a 7 day pass on the Subway. It's about $32 and it allows for unlimited trips on the Subway and MTA Buses.

Get the Staten Island Ferry and sail past the Statue of Liberty for free. 

Go up the Rockefeller Center as others have said, then you'll get the Empire State Building in your photos. It also has glass so you feel a bit more open and exposed compared to the ESB which has metal railings and also is a lot busier. Don't go up the World Trade Center, the observatory is indoor and you can feel a little cheated but it is the cheapest of the 3 choices. 

Visit Central Park, Madison Square Park (there's a big dog park inside it), Union Square.  

Try and eat in Brooklyn and you'll get better value for money on the food. Chelsea and Hells Kitchen are great for food too.

Due to the metropolitan area, you won't be able to visit many supermarkets and save money on food/snacks during this time. Get the Walgreen's app and sign up and you'll start accumulating money off from exercise/steps you've done. I did it for 4 months before I went and accumulated $10 to use in store. Not much but it helps! It's a good reward card to have as it knocks off dollars off getting a drink/crisps etc throughout the day.

Drink plenty of water and wear very comfortable trainers. Your feet will be in tatters!

I'm thinking of going … so thanks for this advice ?

1 hour ago, Van Wolfie said:

My in-laws have recently announced that they're moving back to Derbyshire next year, from Florida. So that's the end of our annual trips to see them over there.

Quite sad really.

Bloody inconsiderate I call it ,bit like when my in laws sold their flash pad in Marbella.

29 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

Bloody inconsiderate I call it ,bit like when my in laws sold their flash pad in Marbella.

Not only that. They're moving into their lovely appartment in Cressbrook Mill (near Monsal Head) that we've been able to use for occasional weekends in the Peaks for the last couple of years.

8 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

Not only that. They're moving into their lovely appartment in Cressbrook Mill (near Monsal Head) that we've been able to use for occasional weekends in the Peaks for the last couple of years.

What can I say ? New wife, new in laws, bit drastic.

15 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Ready your bank account if you’re going anywhere near Times Square.

Hope you aren’t scared of lifts either, or you’ll spend your whole day in staircases

The freedom tower at the world trade centre, despite the obvious sadness surrounding the area, is one of the best places to visit 

Agreed.

IMG_20161225_122322778_HDR.jpg

20 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Italian lakes next year.. Still to book.

Como or Garda anyone?

Been to Lake Garda three times (driven there with overnight stops in Southern Germany going and Luxembourg coming back) and would recommend it. Verona is an easy drive for a day trip and Venice not too bad (driven there and also caught the train from Peschiera)

Archived