Holiday plans 2020

Boycie

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Kernow said:

The girlfriend has been dropping subtle hints (nagging) about New York. Neither of us have ever been.

Any tips?

The view from Rockerfeller centre is better than Empire State and if you go up either night time is much better.  Times square is simply one of the most unpleasant places I've visited.

If you go around Christmas you can watch Miracle on 34th street in Macys where the original was filmed ( check that - 12 years since I've been ).  Central park is lovely, but huge.  Wish I had spent more time there  so give yourself plenty.

Don't get caught on Central Park West after dusk - lovely in the day, not so much at night, the Dakota building where John Lennon lived is on the corner -think Yokos still there.

If you go skating at Rockerfeller Plaza go early- not much room to get skates on when it's busy, I feared for my fingers, Also a lot of seemingly semi pro skaters at night who go at 50 mph,its like rollerball .

It's expensive despite the rumours about bargain shopping I used to here.  Bring some trainers - it's quicker to walk and pretty easy to find your way.  

If I think of ought else will let you know .

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

The girlfriend has been dropping subtle hints (nagging) about New York. Neither of us have ever been.

Any tips?

Really expensive now.  Tipping in the US is beyond a joke. 
If you go, use the subway it’s easy. 
Get down to Coney Island if you like the beach, breaks up a city break. Depending on time of year obviously. 

Been about 5 times this year on business and only did the 9/11 museum on my last trip. Surprised how well it was done to be honest. I expected interactive plane crashes but it was all done very tastefully. 

Great city and somewhere you should see if at all possible but have a good budget. 

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

Any tips?

Ready your bank account if you’re going anywhere near Times Square.

Hope you aren’t scared of lifts either, or you’ll spend your whole day in staircases

The freedom tower at the world trade centre, despite the obvious sadness surrounding the area, is one of the best places to visit 

1 minute ago, Turk Thrust said:

Will probably go to Skiathos. Been there before but about 20 years ago. Also I'll be going on business to Zanzibar as a facilitator on a Nigerian Appeal Court Judges retreat. Two other retreats will be in Zambia and Malaysia. 

Well someone's got to do it

I had that invite to Nigeria too, could you pick up my $50million as well? I’ll give you a decent tip.

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Ready your bank account if you’re going anywhere near Times Square.

Hope you aren’t scared of lifts either, or you’ll spend your whole day in staircases

The freedom tower at the world trade centre, despite the obvious sadness surrounding the area, is one of the best places to visit 

a girl I used to work with went on a helicopter ride round the towers the morning they were hit.  She has a set of photos of them with the time and date on the bottom just 20 minutes before the first plane collided with the North Tower.  A very surreal and pretty historical set of photo's.

8 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

a girl I used to work with went on a helicopter ride round the towers the morning they were hit.  She has a set of photos of them with the time and date on the bottom just 20 minutes before the first plane collided with the North Tower.  A very surreal and pretty historical set of photo's.

Jesus Christ... can’t even imagine what she must have thought when it happened... properly harrowing. It’s a pretty poignant place to visit, the way they’ve done the memorial is perfect is a very sad way. Whole place is silent. When I was there, there was a fire down the street as well so all you could hear were the emergency vehicles... certainly a stark reminder of what happened there.

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Jesus Christ... can’t even imagine what she must have thought when it happened... properly harrowing. It’s a pretty poignant place to visit, the way they’ve done the memorial is perfect is a very sad way. Whole place is silent. When I was there, there was a fire down the street as well so all you could hear were the emergency vehicles... certainly a stark reminder of what happened there.

I think she was in Battery Park at the time or one of the public greens .  Her most vivid recollection was how fast the debris cloud moved and appeared when the first tower fell .  When I visited the site it was being excavated for building .  I was immediately struck by how small the area is and how it could possibly have taken all that debris without causing more major loss of life in the surrounding buildings as it's so tightly packed.  They also had it all squared off behind a perimeter and security to stop people taking any debris as a keepsake.  They had signs up asking people not to do this .  Can't say it was unexpected.  Strange how disaster seems to be an attractant to the human species in a variety of guises.

Archived