Holiday plans 2020

Boycie

We stayed in the UK this year, decided to take our new dog to the beach!  Went to Hunstanton (on the recommendation of my parents) which is in Norfolk on The Wash and tbh was pleasantly surprised - and it was brilliant for dogs, so we've decided to go back again next year.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife has been pestering me for years to go on a cruise. I've managed to avoid it up until now because I'm worried about be seasick (I know it's less likely on a cruise ship but I had to swim back to shore from a pedal boat a few years back). Looks like I can't avoid it next year because my wife has her 50th birthday and says that we're going but I can choose where. I've always fancied the fjords, unless anyone can suggest something better?

On 04/10/2019 at 18:35, richinspain said:

My wife has been pestering me for years to go on a cruise. I've managed to avoid it up until now because I'm worried about be seasick (I know it's less likely on a cruise ship but I had to swim back to shore from a pedal boat a few years back). Looks like I can't avoid it next year because my wife has her 50th birthday and says that we're going but I can choose where. I've always fancied the fjords, unless anyone can suggest something better?

Been on a few. Choose carefully both the ports of call and the cruise line. If you’re not too worried about the weather , I would imagine the Fjords would be great.. Not done that myself but will do at some point. I think we will do Alaska first.

My personal favourite was starting the Barcelona and going all round Italy on Royal Caribbean but seeing as you are med based, that might not suit you. Everything was better on Royal Caribbean..

2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Mrs Hants is muttering about driving to lake Garda. 14 hours each way apparently.

or we could fly to Cagliari for 27 quid on ba.....?

Saw flights to Milan on BA for £120 return. August 2020.. Great value.

I would love the drive but Beast Angry would not enjoy it..

5 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Mrs Hants is muttering about driving to lake Garda. 14 hours each way apparently.

or we could fly to Cagliari for 27 quid on ba.....?

We did the drive from the Midlands to Lake Garda a few years ago and settled for 2 overnight stops. Google Maps shows 16 hours from Calais but there's 3 to 4 hours driving before you get down to the south coast. If we were to do the trip again we'd definitely fly to somewhere like Milan then hire a car. Probably cheaper but also far less hassle.

On 04/10/2019 at 18:35, richinspain said:

Know a few people who went to fjords and loved it, but you gotta cross North Sea which could get choppy.

I went on one for Father-in-laws bday. Fly to Malta, then Dubrovnik, Split, Venice and Sicily (Messina I think it was). Was a great trip for a week and all the stops apart from Sicily were amazing.  Was good to do in a big family group but would be less keen on 2-4 of you.

Decided against Kalkan for 3 years in a row, so got these lined up for next year. If anyone has any tips, let me know!

Fez in Feb for 4 nights. 100 quid return flights for some Winter warmth. I loved Marrakech so hopefully more of the same.

Dubai in March to visit mate. Never been too bothered before but going with 3 friends.

Israel and Jordan in August. Jerusalem, Dead Sea, Eliat, Wadi Rum, Petra then week in northern Israel to stay with friends. Gonna probably hire car in Israel. Anyone driven before in Jordan?

Kids on school trip first week in November so any ideas for 3 or 4 night trip? Anywhere in Europe still warm then? Lake District still mild?

On 07/10/2019 at 00:41, ariotofmyown said:

Decided against Kalkan for 3 years in a row, so got these lined up for next year. If anyone has any tips, let me know!

Fez in Feb for 4 nights. 100 quid return flights for some Winter warmth. I loved Marrakech so hopefully more of the same.

Dubai in March to visit mate. Never been too bothered before but going with 3 friends.

Israel and Jordan in August. Jerusalem, Dead Sea, Eliat, Wadi Rum, Petra then week in northern Israel to stay with friends. Gonna probably hire car in Israel. Anyone driven before in Jordan?

Kids on school trip first week in November so any ideas for 3 or 4 night trip? Anywhere in Europe still warm then? Lake District still mild?

went to Fez on an inaugural flight, taxiing through water canons on landing felt very special, sent vid to my daughter who started panicking that we were on fire.  Fez is a lot smaller and less touristy than Marrakech.  Built on hillsides it has a lot more walking.  the souk is basically 2 parallel streets and you get less hassle.  We had a hotel on the hillside looking down into the town, the view is very impressive.  I prefer Fez but it is more subtle than Marrakech and I guess not to everyone's taste. Great day trips into an area that is not easily accessible normally.  When you closer I have a couple of restaurants to consider

On 06/10/2019 at 12:53, McRamFan said:

Go to Toronto

I have been to New York a couple of times. Marmite as far as I am concerned.

My wife loves the place. My Brother and his Girlfriend have been several times.

I can take or leave it. 

There are lots to do depending on your preferences. 

Good old Empire state or Chrysler building. Library or museum

Myself I prefer proper history hence Prague or Krakow.

Each to their own

3 hours ago, Stagtime said:

After traveling to Uk and Europe more times than I can remember the last few years it’s time to slum it locally so I’ve just booked a week in Cairns and then Fitzroy Island on the Great Barrier Reef for next March.??

Cairns, Lots of fun to be had there I can tell you

On 06/10/2019 at 23:41, ariotofmyown said:

I have been driven in Jordan but never done it myself. 

Lots of friends that have lived there say it is OK by no means as hectic as other countries in the region.

Archived