Holiday plans 2020

Boycie

On 04/10/2019 at 19:35, richinspain said:

My wife has been pestering me for years to go on a cruise. I've managed to avoid it up until now because I'm worried about be seasick (I know it's less likely on a cruise ship but I had to swim back to shore from a pedal boat a few years back). Looks like I can't avoid it next year because my wife has her 50th birthday and says that we're going but I can choose where. I've always fancied the fjords, unless anyone can suggest something better?

You can pick up a barge in Loughborough and visit Coventry and Warwick in a week.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 07/10/2019 at 00:41, ariotofmyown said:

Decided against Kalkan for 3 years in a row, so got these lined up for next year. If anyone has any tips, let me know!

Fez in Feb for 4 nights. 100 quid return flights for some Winter warmth. I loved Marrakech so hopefully more of the same.

Dubai in March to visit mate. Never been too bothered before but going with 3 friends.

Israel and Jordan in August. Jerusalem, Dead Sea, Eliat, Wadi Rum, Petra then week in northern Israel to stay with friends. Gonna probably hire car in Israel. Anyone driven before in Jordan?

Kids on school trip first week in November so any ideas for 3 or 4 night trip? Anywhere in Europe still warm then? Lake District still mild?

I'm in Valencia at the mo. Still 24c at 10pm so November should get up to 20/21.

Top place.

10 hours ago, sage said:

I'm in Valencia at the mo. Still 24c at 10pm so November should get up to 20/21.

Top place.

Valencia is a great place to visit. The temperature can stay mild until December, mild for me now is probably pretty damn good for you. When it does get "cold" it's horrible though. Ten degrees with the humidity feels colder than sub zero in Derby. 

1 hour ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Anyone been to Gran Canaria at Christmas?

How warm is it, is there much sunshine etc?

Never there but have twice been elsewhere in the canaries in December. Weather was hit and miss.

We now head to cape verde for December hols as weather so much better

On 04/10/2019 at 18:35, richinspain said:

My wife has been pestering me for years to go on a cruise. I've managed to avoid it up until now because I'm worried about be seasick (I know it's less likely on a cruise ship but I had to swim back to shore from a pedal boat a few years back). Looks like I can't avoid it next year because my wife has her 50th birthday and says that we're going but I can choose where. I've always fancied the fjords, unless anyone can suggest something better?

I echo comments about Royal Caribbean who are an excellent cruise line. P&O cater for the British market which can be good or bad (my experience is that British cruisers are the biggest moaners).

My wife also wants to try the Fjords. Where you go tends to dictate the average age on board. Caribbean cruises tend to attract a younger demographic whereas landscape and historical interest cruises would have an older average age.

You need pretty poor conditions before seasickness becomes an issue. Most of the time you are not aware you are moving.

I never thought I would like cruise holidays but have been on 6 and loved every single one.

Bon voyage!

I flatly refused to go on one, as I thought it would be full of half dead people.  We have now been on 3, all with Marella cruises (part of TUI), and we deliberately choose the small 'boats'.  These boats are older than most of the others, however as they mainly operate in the Med, you are only at sea for one day, and then over night, on a 7 day cruise.

Whilst not the newest, they are all kitted out really well, solid as a rock, so much so, one morning the Captain came on the tanoy appoligising for the bad weather they had over night, and they had to deploy additional stabilistation.  I felt nothing and I am a very light sleeper.

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I echo comments about Royal Caribbean who are an excellent cruise line. P&O cater for the British market which can be good or bad (my experience is that British cruisers are the biggest moaners).

My wife also wants to try the Fjords. Where you go tends to dictate the average age on board. Caribbean cruises tend to attract a younger demographic whereas landscape and historical interest cruises would have an older average age.

You need pretty poor conditions before seasickness becomes an issue. Most of the time you are not aware you are moving.

I never thought I would like cruise holidays but have been on 6 and loved every single one.

Bon voyage!

15 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

I flatly refused to go on one, as I thought it would be full of half dead people.  We have now been on 3, all with Marella cruises (part of TUI), and we deliberately choose the small 'boats'.  These boats are older than most of the others, however as they mainly operate in the Med, you are only at sea for one day, and then over night, on a 7 day cruise.

Whilst not the newest, they are all kitted out really well, solid as a rock, so much so, one morning the Captain came on the tanoy appoligising for the bad weather they had over night, and they had to deploy additional stabilistation.  I felt nothing and I am a very light sleeper.

Thanks for the comments. After initially saying that I could more or less choose the destination my wife and daughter have now decided that we are doing the Greek islands ?. We went to a travel agent yesterday and are pretty much decided on a cruise with Royal Caribbean in August. They've got some great offers at the moment and it actually works out cheaper than than any of the "lesser" cruise companies.

10 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Thanks for the comments. After initially saying that I could more or less choose the destination my wife and daughter have now decided that we are doing the Greek islands ?. We went to a travel agent yesterday and are pretty much decided on a cruise with Royal Caribbean in August. They've got some great offers at the moment and it actually works out cheaper than than any of the "lesser" cruise companies.

You'll love it. 

Take plenty of suncream as it will be searingly hot! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

the draw for the Euros 2020 takes place next Saturday, then I can begin planning for my June 2020 holiday to Crete. Will try and pick the week which has 2 England group games in.

Think I'm heading to a Greek Island for a family holiday straight after exams, so will be quite near you at a similar time. I'm looking forward to watching England in a foreign bar, purely because I know how much you rave about it!

3 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

the draw for the Euros 2020 takes place next Saturday, then I can begin planning for my June 2020 holiday to Crete. Will try and pick the week which has 2 England group games in.

England's games will be 14th, 19th and 23rd of June, all at Wembley.

On 30/09/2019 at 19:53, Kernow said:

The girlfriend has been dropping subtle hints (nagging) about New York. Neither of us have ever been.

Any tips?

I went for the first time 4 years ago for Mrs Jono’s 60th

had a great time apart from stressing about tips and almost getting stuffed by a rickshaw cowboy. Avoid those like the plague. Scam merchants. I ended up having a stand up row at the entrance to the Carlisle Hotel with a total weasel. 

Ellie’s star dust diner off time square is brilliant. Out of work show singers are the waiters and you get show songs while you eat brunch ..burgers, bacon maple syrup. There is a queue sometimes but worth the wait and not silly money. We also walked “The High Line” which is a sort of contemporary linear Art park along a disused overhead rail track. Amazing views along the avenues. Loads of other stuff including the 9/11 memorial .. I thought it might be a bit mawkish and sentimental but it is brilliantly and sensitively done. 

great city 

3 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Think I'm heading to a Greek Island for a family holiday straight after exams, so will be quite near you at a similar time. I'm looking forward to watching England in a foreign bar, purely because I know how much you rave about it!

Its not so much in a bar, but outside in a taverna, having done holiday stuff during the day. 

On 02/10/2019 at 23:45, maxjam said:

We stayed in the UK this year, decided to take our new dog to the beach!  Went to Hunstanton (on the recommendation of my parents) which is in Norfolk on The Wash and tbh was pleasantly surprised - and it was brilliant for dogs, so we've decided to go back again next year.

Love North Norfolk .. go a bit further along to Holcomb. The Beach, the dunes and the pine Forest behind is one of my favourite places on Earth and the dog loves it. 

• 2 months later...

Anyone have any experience of Eurocamp type places? For some bizarre reason we want to take the dog on holiday this summer - Mrs P and the kids will fly while me and the dog will fire up the old lady and drive down to the South of France or wherever.

Any recommendations of dog friendly, Haveny, water parky, beachy french caravan site type places?

16 hours ago, Pastinaak said:

Anyone have any experience of Eurocamp type places? For some bizarre reason we want to take the dog on holiday this summer - Mrs P and the kids will fly while me and the dog will fire up the old lady and drive down to the South of France or wherever.

Any recommendations of dog friendly, Haveny, water parky, beachy french caravan site type places?

I don't know what their policy is regarding dogs but we love Eurocamp especially now that we can go out of school holidays (obviously quieter and cheaper). Perhaps not a luxury you can benefit from. The appeal for us is the outdoor space. Champagne o'clock (well local bubby) late afternoon, a glass of wine whilst doing the BBQ then a couple more whilst eating outside.

Not so keen on the sites right down in the South of France. They always seem busy and crowded but the Dordogne or Loire are pretty good. 

Having said all that, we're off to Florida for three weeks this year in June. Our tenth time - normally in the same villa. Probably do Eurocamp in September. 

Archived