Cocu up to now

oldtimeram

1 hour ago, GenBr said:

In Brian Cloughs first season we finished 18th. As we all know he never went on to achieve anything of note after that.

Derby fans expectations have been set too high after recent campaigns, but a season of mid table should help them to adjust and give Cocu some proper backing. As long as Mel wants to stick with Cocu he will be here - it doesn't really matter what the fans think - we boo at everything, so don't really think that will be much of a factor.

My only expectation is to see my team play exciting football but so far its been as dull as ditchwater, almost Clementesque. Mid table doesn’t bother me at all as long as I can see the direction we are going in, but a few games in and I’m wondering whether Phil knows himself what with all the chopping and changing.

It’s not been a great start but onwards and upwards hopefully.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Floppy Sausage said:

Yeah but had Norwich not just been promoted from league 1? Bit different to taking on a team expected to challenge each season. Norwich weren’t expected to do anything. Every so often you get a Burnley, a Norwich, a Hull etc. We need consistency, not just hoping for a freak season where everything just clicks.

No. He took over Norwich on their second season after relegation from the Prem.

Midtable finish 1st season, up as Champions the next, while being in receipt of parachute payments.

1 hour ago, Floppy Sausage said:

Yeah but had Norwich not just been promoted from league 1? Bit different to taking on a team expected to challenge each season. Norwich weren’t expected to do anything. Every so often you get a Burnley, a Norwich, a Hull etc. We need consistency, not just hoping for a freak season where everything just clicks.

No, they hadn't. They'd been relegated from the Prem, I believe?

You're thinking way back to the Lambert years!

1 hour ago, G-Ram said:

I dont see the issue. He's been trying different formations, he's doing what he said and bringing through youth. It wont be pretty at times and it might be frustrating at times. But i think we will be better off long term. 

Its not like when we had Pearson and something was clearly wrong. He's had the mixture of youth and experience playing some good stuff in spells. We were unlucky against WBA. 

Getting beat by Forest in the cup wont define our season. 

Im not worried. Stick with the man he is trying to build something. It just needs time. Genuinely think give it a few months and it will start to click and come together 

Totally agree. He's doing OK considering the squad we have this season. Lampard had the 'rub of the green' last season, despite some lousy performances. 

In the context of this seasons challenges, Cocu was wise to play a 2nd string team. We lost to Forest in a cup competition which we haven't 'a hope in hell' of winning. No big deal. 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

How long should Fenerbache have given him, until they were relegated (if there is such a thing in their league)? Cocu has proved nothing yet in the English leagues. All we can go on is what we see on the pitch and the league table.

What a stupid post. Even if the results so far were better it wouldn't amount to proving anything.

2 minutes ago, DRBee said:

What a stupid post. Even if the results so far were better it wouldn't amount to proving anything.

You're telling me what I said is stupid yet you say that even if results were better it wouldn't prove anything! ?

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

How long should Fenerbache have given him, until they were relegated (if there is such a thing in their league)? Cocu has proved nothing yet in the English leagues. All we can go on is what we see on the pitch and the league table.

And............. Here we go again . 

I'm just amazed.

I know football fans are impatient but some of the posts on this forum are ridiculous. I fear that, the less communal, Twitter will be even worse.

Can't people see the bigger picture?

We lost our 3 best players from last season.

We had a curtailed preseason and Cocu, thanks to Chelski, arrived late on.

We have no money and what we had all went on Bielik, which generally has been well received.

With no more money for top quality replacements, we're going to be using the academy which takes time.

Marriott has been injured, Holmes too, now Bogle. Along with cover players like Wisdom.

And yet, the demand for instant success is deafening, not merely top 6 at the end of the season, but winning all of the opening games with an attacking, fully integrated style.

Crazy. Get real.

By all means criticise, constructively, but calls for managerial changes, make or break games etc. Come on.

1 minute ago, IslandExile said:

I'm just amazed.

I know football fans are impatient but some of the posts on this forum are ridiculous. I fear that, the less communal, Twitter will be even worse.

Can't people see the bigger picture?

We lost our 3 best players from last season.

We had a curtailed preseason and Cocu, thanks to Chelski, arrived late on.

We have no money and what we had all went on Bielik, which generally has been well received.

With no more money for top quality replacements, we're going to be using the academy which takes time.

Marriott has been injured, Holmes too, now Bogle. Along with cover players like Wisdom.

And yet, the demand for instant success is deafening, not merely top 6 at the end of the season, but winning all of the opening games with an attacking, fully integrated style.

Crazy. Get real.

By all means criticise, constructively, but calls for managerial changes, make or break games etc. Come on.

Mate, you're seriously wasting your time. I wish I could tell you otherwise but if folk are adopting these attitudes 5 games into the season it should tell you all you need to know. Just let it go mate and save yourself the heartache. 

9 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

With no more money for top quality replacements,

We made our record signing this summer and also signed Wayne Rooney? Not even getting into the rest of the debate, because I can't be bothered, but I do think that's an objectively false statement.

2 hours ago, Van Rammeister said:

Worth noting, when Jim Smith was in his first season (where we got promoted), we had an identical record after 5 games to what we have now; and we also lost our 6th game. 

If everything goes to plan then we lose to Brentford and I shall look forward to seeing Derby sign Luka Modric next week

13 minutes ago, Andicis said:

We made our record signing this summer and also signed Wayne Rooney? Not even getting into the rest of the debate, because I can't be bothered, but I do think that's an objectively false statement.

The record signing having played around 30 minutes in the position he's been brought in to fill and Rooney not due until January.

It's unlike you to be so impatient mate!

Archived