Cocu up to now

oldtimeram

3 minutes ago, Saity said:

Thorne hasn't even played at the top level although still a good player when he was fit ....Huddlestone was well liked by the Spurs fans as I work with a few of them and he can pass although yes he's slower now but he's always been a good passer his career stats say he's better than you suggest and Spurs were still a good side when he played there I agree he's probably not right for us anymore but I've seen him have great games and has good ball control and vision but what has let him down is his goals ratio...we can agree to disagree but I'm just saying I've always seen him as a good footballer and he's come from our academy and has had a good career probably held back by his immobilty which has never been great....I actually liked him as a CB as well 

It's not his goals that let him down anymore. I don't care if our holding midfielder can't score. I do care, however, if they can't get across the pitch, they can't move the ball quickly, and they don't put in many tackles. Huddlestone is just a bit of a big lump these days, he's living off his reputation as a passer, but if you watch him, he's really not great at it, he's big but he's not great in the air. 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

? When did I say I wasn't being critical? Of course I was, Cocu put out a team of youngsters to play and lose poorly to F*rest. Good for you if you're happy with that. 

Everybody can see that you hate Forest so much (no issue with that at all) but whatever team he put out and lost you would still be angry because to you we must win against Forest no matter what and at what cost. It wasn't a team full of youngsters though was it being fair, to me one of the worst players Tuesday night was Davies (because of his 1st team experience), he was the captain and so should lead by example but his leadership was sadly lacking. Just because i have only recently started posting on this forum doesn't mean i am a "new" fan. I have supported our beloved Rams for over Forty years through thick and thin so been there at the dark times (boy,have there been some dark times) and seen the sun shine on the bright times. At one time i would have had the same opinion as you but now being a bit long in the tooth i can see the bigger picture. Sometimes you have to take a hit to move forward. If we still had Rowett et al in charge and put out a full 1st team (because it's Forest and we must appease the fans) and lost what would that have done for morale. Tuesdays result was sickening and hard for a lot to take but in this instance i believe Cocu made the right call, giving the youngsters a taste in playing in a high profile 1st team match,so we lost but not much damage done,yes bragging rights blah blah. This is the 1st time in years i can see hope for the future.

I know you won't see it that way so we will just have to agree to disagree 

39 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

...If we still had Rowett et al in charge and put out a full 1st team (because it's Forest and we must appease the fans) and lost what would that have done for morale. 

You think our (say mainly) first team would have lost? ?

Anyway I too can see 'the bigger picture' but I think it's a different one to the one you're looking at! ? Lol. But along that line 'what will be will be'...

#COYR

18 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You think our (say mainly) first team would have lost? ?

Anyway I too can see 'the bigger picture' but I think it's a different one to the one you're looking at! ? Lol. But along that line 'what will be will be'...

#COYR

I know how you feel and where you are coming from, in my youth i lived on the Notts/Derby's border, me and my mates were split 50/50 who we supported and the bragging rights were probably worse then than they are now. We would win and felt great,they would win and we felt poo You can't go on wondering what if..... who knows if we would have won with our mainly 1st team playing, as you say "what will be will be". Lets see how the season pans out

It amuses me to think back to when Cocu came and the consensus on here seemed to be that people would be happy with mid-table finish and bringing youngsters through.

Now it hits home what that actually means in reality - losing games and some not-great performances, it's panic stations for many.

We've been on the wrong end of fine margins in the league so far. That's all.

4 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

It amuses me to think back to when Cocu came and the consensus on here seemed to be that people would be happy with mid-table finish and bringing youngsters through.

Now it hits home what that actually means in reality - losing games and some not-great performances, it's panic stations for many.

Right to point it out Wolfie but I don't think the ones that were happy to settle with a year of decent development are necessary the same ones that are upset with the start of the season 

hate to say it.. I miss Frank, Wilson, Tomori and Mount !!!

What I loved last year that even if we we're being out played, we had a bloody good go.. we are looking ponderous again! 

If the players really have a go, they get the crowd behind them, the fans leave happy, what the fans hate to see is lacklustre performances. Give 110% and the fans will be behind you Mr Cocu, anything less, heads will be turned!

It'd be nice for a manager to actually build a side for a change.

Farke and Wilder are prime examples of success and stability. Just give the bloke time for Christ sake.

Heard someone at work banging on about how Cocu doesn't have the charisma to inspire the players. Did Arsene Wenger have any charisma when he was at Arsenal? He clearly didn't win anything during his 20 years at the club........

I'm sick of it already. How can people judge a manager after 2 months in the building? I've seen enough from Cocu to suggest he'll be a good manager for us. We're a couple of scoreed penalties and stupid defensive decisions away from being near the top 6. Not the manager's fault. 

Cocu definitely in. Way too early to judge him properly and he has enough credibility from his playing and management experience to be given time.

My only surprise so far is his public criticism of players. I hope he knows what he’s doing by doing this because his main job is getting the best out of his squad. Will calling out the mistakes of certain players in public help?

Other than that please carry on Mr Cocu and I’m sure we’ll improve as the season develops and the fitness of some key players improves.

58 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

Said it on the Forest thread - people are happy to sign up for a transitional season on paper, but in practice they don't like it and become quickly impatient.

24 minutes ago, AndyB said:

My only surprise so far is his public criticism of players. I hope he knows what he’s doing by doing this because his main job is getting the best out of his squad. Will calling out the mistakes of certain players in public help?

When did he do that? I'm not doubting you, just missed it. I've heard criticism of the collective. Ah do you mean Lowe for "sliding in" against WBA? Yeah, hopefully no lasting damage done but I don't think even that was as bad as when some managers do it (looking at you Jose).

Considering Chelsea royally screwed us over, denied him at least 3 weeks to analyse the squad and make any movement in the market, he's doing well.  I for one wasn't expecting us to be sat top of the league after these opening fixtures, or to be nailed on certs for a play off berth come May.

Hopefully with having Bogle & Holmes back fully fit after the international break will give him the chance to change things round a bit and find a settled, more balanced side.

1 hour ago, LittleEatonRam said:

Said it on the Forest thread - people are happy to sign up for a transitional season on paper, but in practice they don't like it and become quickly impatient.

When did Cocu say it was a transitional season? He gave the impression he's aiming for Top 6. 

Buchanan, Sibley and Morgan Whittaker all called up to the England U19 squad for the first time.

There you go. Cocu has been with us for a few months and he's already on his way to making the club some first teamers for free, or selling them for a decent price.

He knows exactly what he is doing.

I bet Wassall loves having a first team manager that makes his job more rewarding.

2 hours ago, SouthStandDan said:

We're a couple of scoreed penalties and stupid defensive decisions away from being near the top 6. Not the manager's fault. 

This excuse just doesn't wash. Every team misses chances and has stupid defensive errors, the fact is, we had them and we didn't win the games. Regardless of your opinion on Cocu, it's an absolutely pointless defense to make, considering it did happen. If Villa had scored 2 less at Wembley we would have won.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

When did Cocu say it was a transitional season? He gave the impression he's aiming for Top 6. 

He didn't and that's not what @LittleEatonRam said (sorry to jump in).

...and of course he's going to say he's aiming for top 6. I'm guessing 20 other Championship managers all said it as well.

2 hours ago, Andicis said:

This excuse just doesn't wash. Every team misses chances and has stupid defensive errors, the fact is, we had them and we didn't win the games. Regardless of your opinion on Cocu, it's an absolutely pointless defense to make, considering it did happen. If Villa had scored 2 less at Wembley we would have won.

If it was the other way around, we had saved the penalties, not had them saved, and had picked up extra points because of it, would you be saying the same thing, or would you be saying that our results should have been worse because the opposition should have scored?

Edited to add: I really don't mean that to seem argumentative or anything. It's just that I know some seem to judge us differently (more harshly) than the opposition, ie. we weren't unlucky to have it saved, but they were unlucky to have theirs saved.

Signing over aged and over priced players. Signing really good players at this level on loan. Or bringing through youth and try to build a future for the club and make it sustainable. Well the latter is what we are doing and I’m happy with it. Both the other regimes under rowett and Lampard have got us nowhere and let’s get behind the players and staff who all want us to be successful. Keyboard warriors please give it a rest and get behind the team. We’ve only lost one league game. 

Archived