Cocu up to now

oldtimeram

11 minutes ago, RandomAccessMemory said:

If it was the other way around, we had saved the penalties, not had them saved, and had picked up extra points because of it, would you be saying the same thing, or would you be saying that our results should have been worse because the opposition should have scored?

Edited to add: I really don't mean that to seem argumentative or anything. It's just that I know some seem to judge us differently to the opposition, ie. we weren't unlucky to have it saved, but they were unlucky to have theirs saved.

I wouldn't change how I viewed performances if we had saved penalties, because that would be about the whole 90 rather than just key moments, but the thing is, it's nonsensical to make the argument we *should* have got all those extra points, because the reality is, we didn't. 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I wouldn't change how I viewed performances if we had saved penalties, because that would be about the whole 90 rather than just key moments, but the thing is, it's nonsensical to make the argument we *should* have got all those extra points, because the reality is, we didn't. 

Yeah, I hear you, basically we are where we are, we did what we did.

I guess you're not a fan of the xG model then?

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw a table on Twitter, it had us in 6th, pretty sure that's higher than we'd have been for the last two seasons because in both of those I remember us massively outperforming our xG. I hope we can start putting them away and live up to it in the next few games. ?

35 minutes ago, RandomAccessMemory said:

Yeah, I hear you, basically we are where we are, we did what we did.

I guess you're not a fan of the xG model then?

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw a table on Twitter, it had us in 6th, pretty sure that's higher than we'd have been for the last two seasons because in both of those I remember us massively outperforming our xG. I hope we can start putting them away and live up to it in the next few games. ?

Yeah, I think xG is nonsense. We've all seen the YouTube highlights of players missing an open net from 2 yards out. We've all seen a 40 yard screamer that didn't look possible. Also what decides which chance is expected to go in and which isn't? As you said, for years now in xG we're very far off where we actually were in the table, so it just shows the system up.

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Yeah, I think xG is nonsense. We've all seen the YouTube highlights of players missing an open net from 2 yards out. We've all seen a 40 yard screamer that didn't look possible. Also what decides which chance is expected to go in and which isn't? As you said, for years now in xG we're very far off where we actually were in the table, so it just shows the system up.

Yes, that's true. It'd be interesting to see where everyone else was for the past few years, to see how accurate it was overall. I might go have a look, see what I can find.

I presume they base it from you're probably likely to see more close range shots than long range? Then maybe 8/9 of 10 2 yards efforts go in, and maybe only 1/2 of 10 40 yard screamers go in? I'm not too sure how it works.

1 minute ago, RandomAccessMemory said:

Yes, that's true. It'd be interesting to see where everyone else was for the past few years, to see how accurate it was overall. I might go have a look, see what I can find.

I presume they base it from you're probably likely to see more close range shots than long range? Then maybe 8/9 of 10 2 yards efforts go in, and maybe only 1/2 of 10 40 yard screamers go in? I'm not too sure how it works.

But then surely it has to take into account who the chance falls to? If it falls to a striker in poo hot form rather than a big lumbering centre back should probably be a key factor. I take it with a whole heap of salt.

Just now, Andicis said:

But then surely it has to take into account who the chance falls to? If it falls to a striker in poo hot form rather than a big lumbering centre back should probably be a key factor. I take it with a whole heap of salt.

Yep I suppose it depends on the quality and form of the finisher. A player could start the season in poor form with loads of chances, score few, then get into better form and score more of less chances and vice versa. I don't really understand how they measure it to be honest.

I think I'll have a read up as the other thing that slightly confuses me is they're all marginally different and I don't get why, are they not using the same formula or something? ?

4 minutes ago, RandomAccessMemory said:

Yep I suppose it depends on the quality and form of the finisher. A player could start the season in poor form with loads of chances, score few, then get into better form and score more of less chances and vice versa. I don't really understand how they measure it to be honest.

I think I'll have a read up as the other thing that slightly confuses me is they're all marginally different and I don't get why, are they not using the same formula or something? ?

It feels like it has too many different factors and variables to be able to properly measure it and make it linear, so I don't really put much stock into it because I think it's oversimplifying things.

6 hours ago, IslandExile said:

When did he do that? I'm not doubting you, just missed it. I've heard criticism of the collective. Ah do you mean Lowe for "sliding in" against WBA? Yeah, hopefully no lasting damage done but I don't think even that was as bad as when some managers do it (looking at you Jose).

Yes that one and Malone for Bristol City’s second goal the game before. I’m not convinced this will help either Malone or Lowe or team spirit more widely.

Archived