Cocu up to now

oldtimeram

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's frustrating I know but look at our squad this year compared to last, a lot weaker, missing the quality loan signings, had a shafted delayed start to the summer, but what can you do, eh?

We'll strengthen in Jan i'm sure, until then I'll take mid table.

I think we are all over the place at the moment and it's not Cocu's fault. We are lacking quality, massively lacking any spark. I think maybe Cocu is as confused as much us as to what team he should play

We don't know what formation we're going to be playing, players playing out of position! relying on kids to do the business..

I think we will undoubtedly improve as the season goes on, we just need the team to settle. We really need the international break so we can have a look at the whole situation.

5 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

Agree.  I think mid table is the best we can hope for this season

I'll accept a season in midtable instead of continuing to stumble into the play offs season after season and not being good enough to go up. Let's take time to build something and get it right.  

Still learning, is the short answer.

Made some mistakes (last night's lineup arguably being one of them), but he's still teaching this squad whilst simultaneously trying to find what works best.

Once we settle on a formation and a recognised starting XI we'll take off. I think Bielik wanting to play at centre-back has posed him a bit of a challenge. But we'll get there. Be it with 3 at the back, or in a 4-3-3, or whatever.

We have started pretty much exactly the same way his PSV side starting in his first season there. They went on to win the league three times in a row, so I'm not worried.

1 month in and the questions arise ? it's a 4 year deal, I'll be happy with a top 10 finish and bringing through the youth, f#rest have had there Cup final and it pains me to say but they've got a decent squad for once, beat Brentford and the 3-0 will be forgotten

34 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

In Brian Cloughs first season we finished 18th. As we all know he never went on to achieve anything of note after that.

Derby fans expectations have been set too high after recent campaigns, but a season of mid table should help them to adjust and give Cocu some proper backing. As long as Mel wants to stick with Cocu he will be here - it doesn't really matter what the fans think - we boo at everything, so don't really think that will be much of a factor.

1 hour ago, Ilsonram12 said:

1 month in and the questions arise ? it's a 4 year deal, I'll be happy with a top 10 finish and bringing through the youth, f#rest have had there Cup final and it pains me to say but they've got a decent squad for once, beat Brentford and the 3-0 will be forgotten

The 3-0 wont be forgotten mi owd ..tha wants to try growing up in scab red dog land 

4 minutes ago, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

We start every season with a new manager and it has to stop. As long as we are not relegated, I am quite happy to be patient and watch Cocu build something. Playing the youngsters is the best thing we have done in a long time and will bring success.

Is that a promise? Is that the same promise that has been made for the last 10 years?

When you have a manager who has a track record of achieving over a long period, especially when developing young players to reach their potential at the same time, you have to respect his methods. 

Cocu finished fourth in a two/three horse race in his first season in charge, although he was often giving young players a chance along the way. He went to Fenerbache, who didn't afford him the time and sacked him. 

We've got to look at the two options: do we want to treat Cocu as PSV or do we want to treat him like Fenerbache? 

I think we do a lot of things, collectively, much better than last season. I would point out to how we played out from the back, plus we're much better at putting ourselves in dangerous situations. The unfortunate difference is that we don't have the individual quality that we had last season. We're playing a system that caters for crossing opportunities, yet we don't have a single player that can consistently put a ball in the box. Paterson, Clarke and Dowell have replaced Mount, Tomori and Wilson. It's a downgrade. I think our recruitment in the summer was poor. Bielik last season could've possibly been the difference for us, but this season he's lacking the quality infront of him. 

I imagine we will be progressive in the way we improve throughout the season, as we were last season, but I'd imagine Cocu is going to focus on player development. I'm happy for him to do so. I stopped going to games a few years ago because of the fans, if Cocu wasn't afforded the time to do what he's already proved he can do by the supporters then I would personally consider doing it again. 

24 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I stopped going to games a few years ago because of the fans, if Cocu wasn't afforded the time to do what he's already proved he can do by the supporters then I would personally consider doing it again. 

How long should Fenerbache have given him, until they were relegated (if there is such a thing in their league)? Cocu has proved nothing yet in the English leagues. All we can go on is what we see on the pitch and the league table.

2 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Yeah but had Norwich not just been promoted from league 1? Bit different to taking on a team expected to challenge each season. Norwich weren’t expected to do anything. Every so often you get a Burnley, a Norwich, a Hull etc. We need consistency, not just hoping for a freak season where everything just clicks.

I dont see the issue. He's been trying different formations, he's doing what he said and bringing through youth. It wont be pretty at times and it might be frustrating at times. But i think we will be better off long term. 

Its not like when we had Pearson and something was clearly wrong. He's had the mixture of youth and experience playing some good stuff in spells. We were unlucky against WBA. 

Getting beat by Forest in the cup wont define our season. 

Im not worried. Stick with the man he is trying to build something. It just needs time. Genuinely think give it a few months and it will start to click and come together 

Archived