v WBA (H) Match Thread

RiddingsRam

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Unfortunately it is simply down to finances and tv revenue. The SPL gets a pittance compared to us in the Championship, yet alone the English Prem. It really is on a different scale. I don't agree with it and don't think it is good for the game but that is the reality. Despite reasonable attendances Aberdeen and Hibs have the revenue on a par with League 1 teams in England, have League 1 player budgets and so unless their Managers can produce miracles that is the sort of level that they perform at. As for the bottom 6 in the SPL, teams like St Mirren, Hamilton, Ross County, St Johnstone and Kilmarnock (I saw in the first week that 2 games had attendances of just over 2,000, less than the tv game at Stockport in the National League down here) finances are more akin to League 2/National League teams in England as they get little gate revenue either. Shame, but the reality I am afraid. So to argue that Hibs and Aberdeen could hold their own in the Prem is laughable, not sure that was a serious comment mind.....did make me larf though.....

What i was alluding to is if they were in the Prem they would survive. Lets say the Prem expanded to become the PL and include the top 1 or 2 from the SPL year on year by means of promotion they would receive the same money as Championship clubs receive on getting promotion as well as all TV rights etc. I agree teams in the lower half of the SPL are more on a par with League 1. I can understand making comparisons as it currently stands.

Having reflected on this game for a bit, I was not thrilled by the sitting back from 80 mins on.  Seemed a bit Rowett-esque to me.  Hope it was more a necessity because we were playing a good team who were putting us under pressure and not a tactical decision.  Two reasons for this; I want my team to play positive ‘front foot’ football where we dictate play (which was always my criticism of Rowett - too negative and too willing to let the opposition have the ball) and secondly, because we are traditionally  not very good at it.  Hopefully Cocu’s tactics will be more dynamic, recognising that there might be times to sit back, but not to make a habit of it.  

Some big positives though.  Up to 6 academy graduates playing (I know counting Ton is cheating a bit, but still) and none terribly out of place.  Some decent chances created when we were pushing forward and could easily have won it.

Not too downhearted.  Suns out, not at work tomorrow, relaxing with a large coffee after a bit of a workout, nothing to do but avoid weeding for the rest of the day and we didn’t lose.  Can’t complain!

4 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Having reflected on this game for a bit, I was not thrilled by the sitting back from 80 mins on.  Seemed a bit Rowett-esque to me.  Hope it was more a necessity because we were playing a good team who were putting us under pressure and not a tactical decision.  Two reasons for this; I want my team to play positive ‘front foot’ football where we dictate play (which was always my criticism of Rowett - too negative and too willing to let the opposition have the ball) and secondly, because we are traditionally  not very good at it.  Hopefully Cocu’s tactics will be more dynamic, recognising that there might be times to sit back, but not to make a habit of it.  

Some big positives though.  Up to 6 academy graduates playing (I know counting Ton is cheating a bit, but still) and none terribly out of place.  Some decent chances created when we were pushing forward and could easily have won it.

Not too downhearted.  Suns out, not at work tomorrow, relaxing with a large coffee after a bit of a workout, nothing to do but avoid weeding for the rest of the day and we didn’t lose.  Can’t complain!

Our forwards were shot basically and he put on the ones that had played this season 

3 hours ago, angieram said:

I have always backed him to come good but I think he needs to step up and be that player we all think is in there. 

I'd love him to come good, but he's had that many chances to shine and doesn't. His apparent new wandering role is not working and he's confusing the heck out of the rest of the teambecause he's never where he's expected to be, ask Malone! Josefzoon is getting called out for his performances, Malone gets slammed for every mistake and Dowell appears to be the latest hate target. I really don't see where all the Lawrence sympathy comes from.

Disappointed we didn't win of course but in general I thought we played nice bright football, massive improvement over Swansea. Unlike some here I didn't think any player was particularly bad and the youngsters were excellent.

So lets see how we come out to beat Forest!

PS Our points total is 6 from 5 i.e 55 over the season-relegation!  (just joking- no way we go down).

47 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

I'd love him to come good, but he's had that many chances to shine and doesn't. His apparent new wandering role is not working and he's confusing the heck out of the rest of the teambecause he's never where he's expected to be, ask Malone! Josefzoon is getting called out for his performances, Malone gets slammed for every mistake and Dowell appears to be the latest hate target. I really don't see where all the Lawrence sympathy comes from.

So what would you do with him? 

My comment stemmed from me criticising him and someone else pointing out he made Bennett's chance yesterday. 

I think he needs to do more and is capable of doing more. Are you giving up on him? 

That is a totally different argument, you could argue Bury could survive in the Prem if they had the tv revenue. I took it from your post that you were implying as things stand Aberdeen and Hibs could compete in the English Prem which I am sure you can now confirm is total nonsense on their current resources. But that is the league they play in and that gap in revenue is likely to get bigger unfortunately, not only with the Prem but championship in England as well. Have a look at the comparison between what tv revenue Derby get and what Hibs get.

1 hour ago, LazloW said:

Having reflected on this game for a bit, I was not thrilled by the sitting back from 80 mins on.  Seemed a bit Rowett-esque to me.  

Or a bit nigel clough.

i must admit, my heart sank a little too. 

1 hour ago, FindernRam said:

I actually thought Lawrence had some good moments yesterday, particularly setting up Bennett (Marriott must have cried at that!). He tracked back for the fullback better than Waghorn or Dowell. And as for wandering it seemed to me that Dowell was the one wandering about (to no effect) yesterday.

26 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Or a bit nigel clough.

i must admit, my heart sank a little too. 

Could just be the pressure of wanting that first home win. Doing that towards the end of the season with nothing to play for...then I shall start thinking Nige..

We all knew it would be a tough start to the season with the fixtures we’ve got. 

We all knew it would take time for Cocu to settle and get them playing how he wants, with the Lampard thing dragging on like it did. 

Apart from the Bristol City match I would say it’s been a pretty good start, all things considered.  

Yesterday we had a kid at left back and Lowe on the wrong side and they did well. Knight also. Bogle and Holmes to come back. Marriott getting fitter. Plenty of positives if you choose to see them.

Onwards and upwards. 

1 hour ago, Premier ram said:

What a performance from Sir Richard Keogh again yesterday , what a player , what a Ram

Thought last year was possibly his best and started well again this year.. .when the time comes for him to retire he will definitely be appreciated more in hindsight than he is now. 

Virtually ever-present, model professional, heart on his sleeve, willing to take the ball wherever he is and to try and make things happen, integral part of so many promotion charges, happy to put his head where it hurts and face the media whatever the result.

Sure he can make the occasional lapse (who doesn't), he ain't the greatest orator and history doesn't favour 'losers' so I really hope we go up with him..... because he would be very unfortunate to be regarded anything but a legend.

7 hours ago, FindernRam said:

I really don't see where all the Lawrence sympathy comes from.

I used to dig at Lawrence quite a bit but he definitely has ability - it’s just a matter of getting it out of him. He is a game winner and could be a very good player. However, if he doesn’t start to turn it on more regularly then I do think people will run out of patience eventually. 

Jooz - I’ve slated him enough I think!

Malone - needs a break. 

17 hours ago, atherstoneram said:

Do you really believe that the Championship is a higher level than the SPL ,rubbish. There are at least 3/4 teams in the SPL that would survive easily in the Prem, Celtic,Rangers,Aberdeen and Hibs

Celtic perhaps Rangers should be in with a shout in the championship the rest would struggle to survive in the championship 

10 hours ago, Curtains said:

We did  alright .

Tough game today 

Early days still but it’s a pity we haven’t won in 3 at home with Cardiff next. 

Yes it's tough going at the moment. We certainly should have more than 6 points, but we have ourselves to blame for not punishing Stoke and also WBA. There was some talk of Stoke City being a difficult game, but when you look where they are.... only chalked up 1 point this season,  the one taken from DCFC. 

Archived