v WBA (H) Match Thread

RiddingsRam

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shocking dive for their pen. Got to hope that the league take action on that.

Cocu was very harsh on max for diving in, but hasn't done anything wrong there.

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

But you don't have to be a world class player to take a penalty. Just as world class players aren't all good at penalties. Messi is pretty rubbish at them. With a bit of practice and a bit of composure, it shouldn't be difficult to score 95% of your penalties. 

Graham Alexander now manger of Salford was amazing at them, I remember when he used to play for Burnley and score pretty much every single one and he was never a great player. Missing a pen is one of the biggest sins in football and rightly so, 12 yards out free shot on goal, for a striker you should be scoring at the very least 75% of them, time for Waghorn to be taken off them I think Keogh is a potential candidate for them, but personally I would go for Marriott.

Look guys stop being nagative we played some good football and good performance on tge whole I was please with jasion knight stood his ground well but unlucky not to score. The batemen lad did fanstic well. Max gave his all and put a good effort. Marriott looking sharper and waghorn made good partnership but need figuare out who best number 9 between Lawrence and Bennett sitting behind the strikers.

But a point I will take I guess a fair result.

1 minute ago, RamNut said:

Shocking dive for their pen. Got to hope that the league take action on that.

who cares, we've lost points thanks to poo refereeing that's all that matters. The sooner we get VAR in the championship the better, I know its unpopular but I think its much better than awful refereeing robbing teams of points.

Well today could be the day our season started. After Tuesday, I was expecting a pretty miserable time against West Brom, with the only thing to eb decided was by how many they would win. At half-time I was actually looking forwards to a fairly short (for me!) match report because we did all right, and no-one had played badly. 

The balance of the team was much better today, and we payed the ball around well - Cocu has got us playing little triangle patterns to work the ball around the pitch, and it is working well. It has also got us showing much better movement off the ball. There were very few poor passes in the first half, and we looked pretty comfortable overall, although clear chances were a bit sparse. And we started really well, and really quickly - like walking up to someone in an argument and thumping them on the nose before the argument has really got going. Whether it was tactical or for an injury, their substitution seemed to stem the tide, and the match was pretty even from then onwards

I was flabbergasted by the ref - he got his obligatory one decision in favour of Derby County in almost straight away, and then kept giving us more - unbelievable! And the second peno was actually given by the lino, not the ref. Even so, I was sure that the customary turn-around would come in the second half. It actually didn't - he continued has leniency, so he will probably get sacked tomorrow for not showing any bias towards the visiting team whatsoever. But as my son said during the interval, he will be looking to even up that second peno decision given even the slightest opportunity, and he duly obliged.

We created a number of chances in the second half, while pretty much holding the Baggies at bay for most of the second half. I was very happy with both Knight and Buchanan, Yes they showed some inexperience, but what should we expect - they are inexperienced lads! It is fantastic that they are getting a look in. Lowe, as I said in a previous thread went to Aberdeen as a boy, and came back as a man. He looks very good, Keogh continued his excellent form, and Marriott provided the spark of the unexpected. He is also a great link-up player as well. Waggy, despite is penalty miss worked his socks off, doing some great defensive work. Lawrence let himself down by needing to take a touch before he does anything, and Dowell was ok in the first half. Unfotunately he reverted to type for the seocnd half. 

It is unfair to moan about us not making the automatics after the start to the season we have had, but we shouldn't be daring to think of the autos, we are in transition, and we've been stuffed by Chelsea and Lampard, and are not as far forward as we could have been. But there is good reason for hope going forwards. I reckon this season is going to be way better than we could ever have hoped.

As much as I am realllly ducked off with 1 win in the league from 5 and  the way we have thrown points away due to Waghorn missing 2 pens , dodgy refs and awful mistakes, I think things will soon start picking up and we will go on a winning run soon enough.  With Bogle and Holmes back and Dowell hopefully dropped things will improve, and I think we will slowly start to improve once we have played enough games to get a settled team. I think next week is massive for us, loose them both and we will have had an awful start to the season , draw vs Brentford and win vs Forest would be passible , but we really need to win in the league after only 1 win in 5 and just before the international break it is important that we get some confidence. Norwich won 1 out their first 6 last season and won the league so things could improve quite abit, first steps for me are taking Dowell and Huddlestone out the team and bringing Evans/Shinnie  and Holmes in, and then take Waghorn off pens.

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Very tentative going forward, and crossing behind for a goalkick. Then he was alone  in defence, no one within thirty yards and he just whacked it upfield without looking, inviting a dangerous attack. Malone would have been crucified for that. If Bachanan gets to the hour mark I think that's enough, will give him confidence and we can bring the senior pro back in.

Meanwhile an excellent tackle by Knight on the edge of our box. Rams pressed in and desperate defending at the moment. We need to get the ball upfield and hold it,

And which senior pro would that be?

15 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

If we had wayne at the start we would be have 10 pts

If we didnt get wayne at all, we would have been able to get a better winger and maybe another CM

But wayne coming in Jan is the dumbest move ever, we could be 10 pts from top 6 by then

Possibly the dumbest post of the day.

firstly, you don't know that we'd have 10 points. I'm sure he'll make a big impact but he can't win games single handed.

secondly, I'm sure Mel and Phillip would have got him earlier if they could so, January isn't that dumb.

thirdly, without the 32Red money, how do you think we could have afforded to buy and then pay the wages for a better winger and another CM?

Just now, Tamworthram said:

Possibly the dumbest post of the day.

firstly, you don't know that we'd have 10 points. I'm sure he'll make a big impact but he can't win games single handed.

secondly, I'm sure Mel and Phillip would have got him earlier if they could so, January isn't that dumb.

thirdly, without the 32Red money, how do you think we could have afforded to buy and then pay the wages for a better winger and another CM?

He can take corners, free kicks and penalties, which is all the matters considering how awful we are at them so far

6 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Well today could be the day our season started. After Tuesday, I was expecting a pretty miserable time against West Brom, with the only thing to eb decided was by how many they would win. At half-time I was actually looking forwards to a fairly short (for me!) match report because we did all right, and no-one had played badly. 

The balance of the team was much better today, and we payed the ball around well - Cocu has got us playing little triangle patterns to work the ball around the pitch, and it is working well. It has also got us showing much better movement off the ball. There were very few poor passes in the first half, and we looked pretty comfortable overall, although clear chances were a bit sparse. And we started really well, and really quickly - like walking up to someone in an argument and thumping them on the nose before the argument has really got going. Whether it was tactical or for an injury, their substitution seemed to stem the tide, and the match was pretty even from then onwards

I was flabbergasted by the ref - he got his obligatory one decision in favour of Derby County in almost straight away, and then kept giving us more - unbelievable! And the second peno was actually given by the lino, not the ref. Even so, I was sure that the customary turn-around would come in the second half. It actually didn't - he continued has leniency, so he will probably get sacked tomorrow for not showing any bias towards the visiting team whatsoever. But as my son said during the interval, he will be looking to even up that second peno decision given even the slightest opportunity, and he duly obliged.

We created a number of chances in the second half, while pretty much holding the Baggies at bay for most of the second half. I was very happy with both Knight and Buchanan, Yes they showed some inexperience, but what should we expect - they are inexperienced lads! It is fantastic that they are getting a look in. Lowe, as I said in a previous thread went to Aberdeen as a boy, and came back as a man. He looks very good, Keogh continued his excellent form, and Marriott provided the spark of the unexpected. He is also a great link-up player as well. Waggy, despite is penalty miss worked his socks off, doing some great defensive work. Lawrence let himself down by needing to take a touch before he does anything, and Dowell was ok in the first half. Unfotunately he reverted to type for the seocnd half. 

It is unfair to moan about us not making the automatics after the start to the season we have had, but we shouldn't be daring to think of the autos, we are in transition, and we've been stuffed by Chelsea and Lampard, and are not as far forward as we could have been. But there is good reason for hope going forwards. I reckon this season is going to be way better than we could ever have hoped.

Surely way better is autos or winning the playoffs? Considering Top 6 has to be the minimum ambition after finishing top 6 4 out of the last 6 seasons and spending big money on Bielik + signing Rooney?

First time I've seen Derby for the full 90 minutes this season and I have to say I was a little disappointed. But let's start on the positives I guess. It was a really good opening 15 minutes where we harried and pressured up the field which led to the first goal. The academy players looked good especially buchanan second half and Lowe despite the silly lunge (doesn't matter if he touched him or not it's defending 101 not so slide in there) Knight did well and looks like a good player. The new cb Bielik looked very impressive for my money as well. Getting a point against one of the better teams in the division is also a decent result. 

Now onto the negatives. Second half we sat way too deep and offered v.little going forward as an attacking unit. I could see the goal coming from a mile off as they were ratcheting up the pressure on us. At times going forward we lacked real width, especially with Lowe and Waghorn on the same side. There were numerous times that there was a chance for an overlap a chance to stretch the defence which just didn't happen due to playing two left footed players on that right hand side. I thought we were too slow at times in possession and let chances to break forward slip away. We do seem to lack a real creative player in the middle of the park who can pick defences apart and this must be a bit of a concern at this point. A final whinge was the set pieces... just absolutely awful. 

I'll be honest i think it's time we sell Lawrence. He's an average championship player and not good enough if we want to get promotion. He's consistently flattered to deceive since he's come here and while he may go on a good run occasionally his vision for a pass absolutely sucks. I counted three times today where he could have released someone into a dangerous position and didn't because he either didn't see it or dribbled and lost it instead. One he did release but it was such a poor pass and so late it was intercepted.  

2 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

He can take corners, free kicks and penalties, which is all the matters considering how awful we are at them so far

Rooney missed pens/free kicks before? 

3 minutes ago, old ram 15 said:

First time I've seen Derby for the full 90 minutes this season and I have to say I was a little disappointed. But let's start on the positives I guess. It was a really good opening 15 minutes where we harried and pressured up the field which led to the first goal. The academy players looked good especially buchanan second half and Lowe despite the silly lunge (doesn't matter if he touched him or not it's defending 101 not so slide in there) Knight did well and looks like a good player. The new cb Bielik looked very impressive for my money as well. Getting a point against one of the better teams in the division is also a decent result. 

Now onto the negatives. Second half we sat way too deep and offered v.little going forward as an attacking unit. I could see the goal coming from a mile off as they were ratcheting up the pressure on us. At times going forward we lacked real width, especially with Lowe and Waghorn on the same side. There were numerous times that there was a chance for an overlap a chance to stretch the defence which just didn't happen due to playing two left footed players on that right hand side. I thought we were too slow at times in possession and let chances to break forward slip away. We do seem to lack a real creative player in the middle of the park who can pick defences apart and this must be a bit of a concern at this point. A final whinge was the set pieces... just absolutely awful. 

I'll be honest i think it's time we sell Lawrence. He's an average championship player and not good enough if we want to get promotion. He's consistently flattered to deceive since he's come here and while he may go on a good run occasionally his vision for a pass absolutely sucks. I counted three times today where he could have released someone into a dangerous position and didn't because he either didn't see it or dribbled and lost it instead. Once he did release it but it was such a poor pass and so late it was intercepted.  

I agree that Lawrence is mostly crap and is too inconsistent  and needs to be selled but, he atleast does have his moments where as our other 'creative players' like Dowell and Jozefoon are just permanently crap,  we need someone better but I am not sure we would be able to take a loss on him and then buy a top quality winger as we don't have the funds anymore as they have already been wasted on crap.

16 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Jason knight was energetic, but not really answer to our problems, good energy, but not someone who can score or create for us. Can become like a mini hendrick for us in the future

Disagree on Knight. He is creative and has a great shot on him. 

I thought he did very well for a first start and I expect to see him on the scoresheet soon if he gets a run in the team.

1 minute ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

I agree that Lawrence is crap and needs to be selled but, he atleast does have his moments where as our other 'creative players' like Dowell and Jozefoon are just permanently crap,  we need someone better but I am not sure we would be able to take a loss on him and then buy a top quality winger as we don't have the funds anymore as they have already been wasted on crap.

It's difficult but if i was part of our recruitment team I'd be focusing on a replacement for lawrence so we can get rid. We definitely overpaid for him and it's about finding the right replacement. I don't know what happened to Zoon, looked like he had real quality in a few games under Lampard and since then he's offered very little. 

Archived