January 2020 transfer window

oomarkwright

8 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Hang on a minute ..... you replied to someone's thread yesterday who was trying to put a positive spin on things by putting down pretty much every point he made. 'We'll get punished by EFL, no one will invest, who'd actually want to sign for us?' etc. ?

I am considering changing my name to BanRAM72 Just not got around to it yet. ?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Rample said:

Ibe with the possibility of a free in the summer would be a great coup for us. No way he'll get an extension there. Surprised he's 24.

Anyone know if he's friendly with Wizzy or anyone? Not sure if that would help or hinder. 

Can someone nudge Mel over this? 

Ibe, Ince and a centre half in by tomorrow is my new dream, although at the moment hoping for one untested youth player feels like setting myself up for disappointment.

Ibe,ince and buxton?

1 hour ago, erathirea said:

Crazy late suggestion.

Ibe.

Out of favour at Bournemouth

Playing and Training with U21s

Out of contract in the summer.

Loan until end of season, if he likes it he may sign for us?

A more crazy late suggestion.

Ravel Morrison on-loan. He's a complete idiot, but him and Rooney together could be fun.

4 minutes ago, Archied said:

Yep it really makes me chuckle to read so many slate the re recruitment team whilst never seeing beyond anybody who’s played for us in the past?

“Our recruitment team really lack imagination, look at who Brentford sign”

”That fella who was decent for us half a decade ago and has barely played a minute since while supposedly having massive attitude problems would be a cracking signing”

4 minutes ago, Rample said:

Ibe with the possibility of a free in the summer would be a great coup for us. No way he'll get an extension there. Surprised he's 24.

Anyone know if he's friendly with Wizzy or anyone? Not sure if that would help or hinder. 

Can someone nudge Mel over this? 

Ibe, Ince and a centre half in by tomorrow is my new dream, although at the moment hoping for one untested youth player feels like setting myself up for disappointment.

You spelt WET wrong

1 hour ago, nottingram said:

I don’t really get why we are all worried about signings.

The squad is short, that is absolutely correct. But we’re not going up or down, so what would be the point in rushing into inflated deals or paying loan fees for players? 

Is Ibe going to be the next player that people use as a stick to bash our recruitment team with? Have a think why he is being bombed out of Bournemouth. If he’d never played for us before we would be asking why we’re going after out of favour PL players with attitude problems! It’s completely ridiculous how worked up people get over transfer windows

Did he not (allegedly) have an attitude problem when he was on loan, i seem to remember rumours of one player saying he was a an arrogant Charlie.

Going around the changing room saying he was premier league whilst his current team mates were only championship standard.

He may have been right but it doesn't really foster a team ethos to say it.

3 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

If Derby signed Jota I would literally crap my pants.

He must be on big wages though.

Jota for Brentford was everything Tom Ince wishes (and our fans pretend) he was for Derby. Scored goals without sacrificing the opportunities of others, more assists, a much better goals to shots ratio....

Unfortunately he made a really stupid move and followed the money / Harry Redknapp to Birmingham and disappeared into the wilderness, then signed for Villa who didn't really need him. No idea where his game is at these days though.

1 minute ago, SIXTEEN AGAIN said:

Did he not (allegedly) have an attitude problem when he was on loan, i seem to remember rumours of one player saying he was a an arrogant Charlie.

Going around the changing room saying he was premier league whilst his current team mates were only championship standard.

He may have been right but it doesn't really foster a team ethos to say it.

I’ve no idea, but the fact he has been ostracised from their squad while they are in such dire straits speaks volumes.

Its exactly the signing that would be criticised if it was literally any player except one who was half decent for us 5 years ago

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

@David, is it possible for a user to mute the term 'recruitment team' on the forum? It's been so boring seeing the same sort of post going round and round for the past month.

My personal issue with the recruitment team is not just necessarily the poor signings in the past(although that’s a factor), it’s them refusing to even look at players from certain leagues . Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but they openly acknowledged a while ago(might have been Sam rush who said this?) that they only scout players in a particular area, particular countries and leagues. Absolute bonkers, Ligue 2 or even lower Ligue 1 sides are goldmines of hidden gems as Brentford and Leicester know but because of one bad experience with Abdoul Camara, we don’t even look in that area anymore- same with the  Spanish second division because of a bad experience with Albentosa. It’s lazy scouting or arrogance thinking players from those players are beneath us , to not even bother scouting there to ‘save’ resources is bonkers. Not even that , we weren’t even heavily interested in players from lower leagues until recently, i.e Olly Watkins was available for a cup of tea a few years ago, some who live locally around Exeter on this forum even suggested him, and we just overlooked him for whatever reason and instead spent heavily on championship players were who either in their purple patches, or past their best already. 

2 minutes ago, Sexydadbod said:

My personal issue with the recruitment team is not just necessarily the poor signings in the past(although that’s a factor), it’s them refusing to even look at players from certain leagues . Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but they openly acknowledged a while ago(might have been Sam rush who said this?) that they only scout players in a particular area, particular countries and leagues. Absolute bonkers, Ligue 2 or even lower Ligue 1 sides are goldmines of hidden gems as Brentford and Leicester know but because of one bad experience with Abdoul Camara, we don’t even look in that area anymore- same with the  Spanish second division because of a bad experience with Albentosa. It’s lazy scouting or arrogance thinking players from those players are beneath us , to not even bother scouting there to ‘save’ resources is bonkers. Not even that , we weren’t even heavily interested in players from lower leagues until recently, i.e Olly Watkins was available for a cup of tea a few years ago, some who live locally around Exeter on this forum even suggested him, and we just overlooked him for whatever reason and instead spent heavily on championship players were who either in their purple patches, or past their best already. 

We made a bid for Watkins which was rejected then Exeter sold him to Brentford months later for a fee a lot less than we bid . MacClaren was very keen on him 

1 hour ago, cannable said:

The spree of 15/16 was shocking and started this mess but I don’t think recruitments been that bad since. 

Pearson was gonna try and turn us into a pacey 4-4-2 team so in that context Anya, Wilson and Vydra weren’t bad signings. 

Nugent was a weird one but McClaren seemed to want a forward who could link. 

Rowett built a side whilst making a net profit - to do so we had to go for older players as they were cheaper. 

And we’ve been skint ever since. 

The change in managerial approach time after time is the ultimate problem. Hire a footballing manager after Wassall and start clearing out some of 15/16’s mess and we’re on the right lines. Instead we gave it Pearson and he made things worse.

If the recruitment wasn't bad then we wouldn't be in the position. Let's break it down: 

16/17 - finished 9th. 
Matej Vydra - signed £8m - sold £11m - considering his wages, it's a small profit. 
Ikechi Anya - signed £4m - unsellable - considering his wages, best part of £7m wasted.
David Nugent - signed £2m - released - did okay, no resale value

17/18 - finished 6th
Tom Lawrence - signed £7m - value now, possibly half that especially when you factor in wages.
Andre Wisdom - signed £4m - value now, possibly less than a quarter of that when you factor in wages. 
Tom Huddlestone - signed £2.5m - value now, next to nothing due to age.
Cameron Jerome - signed £1.5m - released - did okay, no resale value
Curtis Davies - signed £500k - exceeded his price tag, but no resale value. 

18/19 - finished 6th
Martyn Waghorn - signed £6m - value now, possibly half that if we're being generous. 
Jack Marriott - signed £4m - value now, perhaps recoup what we've paid
Florian Jozefzoon - signed £3m - value now, less than a 10th of that. We would probably pay to get rid due to wages.
Duane Homes - £300k - value now, likely profit but nothing daft - £2m. 
George Evans - £500k - value now, possibly less but roughly the same.
Scott Malone - £3m - value now, considerably less when you factor in wages. A free to good home kind of deal. 

19/20 - currently 16th
Krystian Bielik - signed £10m - showed reasonable potential, nothing like what we paid though. Injury will impact resale value, nothing we could do about that.
Graeme Shinnie - signed free - decent player, will have resale value and we paid nowt for him. I think you have to give it to them here. 
Wayne Rooney - signed free - good player, currently picks up £90k a week in wages though. No resale value. 

I'd make that two players that we're in a position to move on for more than we paid out of 17 - Shinnie and Holmes. It's very poor requirement, we're also on course for a lower mid-table finish, perhaps even worse with the impending point deduction. 

5 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

We made a bid for Watkins which was rejected then Exeter sold him to Brentford months later for a fee a lot less than we bid . MacClaren was very keen on him 

I know Steve McClaren personally was interested in him, why didn’t we get him then like he wished or at least as a club go really hard to get him then like we did with Blackman the year before to get his signature ahead of Sheffield Wednesday? 1.8 million for who many saw at the time to be the “new dele alli” is a cup of tea, instead we kept buying old players from the championship-someone was advising the club to focus on these past their best championship players instead of young hungry players from lower leagues or leagues from abroad. One of the times a manager personally went out off his own back to scout a player, we didn’t get him ?

14 minutes ago, Rab a dab doo said:

I think we would all love to know the criteria and formula (if there is one) that the Recruitment Team (have) and do adopt to scout and identify potential first team players for the club. 

If there is one ?

I asked for this question to be raised at a Charter Meeting the club were holding and they had welcomed questions.

I wanted to know how we identified and scouted players and then how we decided which players we wanted to sign etc.  I also wanted to know how the club thought they compared against other clubs in our division.

Unfortunately I don't think the question was ever answered, I was just sent the following picture of our chief scout;

stevie wonder GIF

Archived