January 2020 transfer window

oomarkwright

7 minutes ago, rynny said:

We found out after he signed. 

??, well that’s good isn’t it, why didn’t we continue tracking his situation even after they rejected our bid then, then they wouldn’t have found themselves in that situation where they look silly after?

I don’t even mean putting all eggs into one basket, but at least have a general idea of what’s happening with his situation instead of abandoning it completely and then having no clue. A club who was ran well at that time would have kept tabs on him if they really wanted him. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Cocu press conference on DET

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/Derby-county-transfer-news-live-3793077

Another possible 'out' besides MB....

jo-Flo to Stoke?

Hudds to Italy

Bogle to raise cash

DET even speculated on Martin the other day

Anya to complete Liverpool's squad for the final push?

Will the last one to leave please turn the lights off.

12 minutes ago, Sexydadbod said:

This is exactly is my point, there was no long term plan at that stage(and I still don’t think there is), the club were desperate for promotion so only focused on over the hill championship players, instead of planning diligently for the future. I don’t know know many people we have on their scouting team, but a team with good recruitment will have people scouting all around the world, instead of focusing on certain places.

Everyone and his dog who saw Watkins’ season at Exeter knew he was going to be a heck of a player, why didn’t we go back in for him (I don’t mean half heartedly) when the option was there, McClaren wanted him. If Watkins himself refused, then there’s nothing you can about that, but at least try to make it hard for Brentford to get him instead of giving them an easy path to go get him. 

Also Watkins was signed in the summer when Rowett was manager. Mac wanted to sign him in the Jan, but we could agree a deal. When we went back in the summer they had doubled their valuation to us and then sold him for less than half the price. We didn't know anything about the deal for Brentford until he had signed. 

But you know, just keep slamming the club about this. 

Let’s phrase this differently, how many cheap, successful bargains have we signed in recent years? How many players have we signed in recent years who have come out of nowhere that makes you go wow we actually did a lot of scouting on that one 

We did with Clough with the  likes of Bryson, Forsyth, Barker, Shackell, Keogh, Russell,  so what’s changed since then? Where have our cheap bargains gone?

4 minutes ago, Sexydadbod said:

Let’s phrase this differently, how many cheap, successful bargains have we signed in recent years? How many players have we signed in recent years who have come out of nowhere that makes you go wow we actually did a lot of scouting on that one 

We did with Clough with the  likes of Bryson, Forsyth, Barker, Shackell, Keogh, Russell,  so what’s changed since then? Where have our cheap bargains gone?

You missed Chris Martin's name from Clough's list.

But you're right. Though wasn't Rooney signed without a fee? And a player from the minor leagues abroad.

1 minute ago, rynny said:

Also Watkins was signed in the summer when Rowett was manager. Mac wanted to sign him in the Jan, but we could agree a deal. When we went back in the summer they had doubled their valuation to us and then sold him for less than half the price. We didn't know anything about the deal for Brentford until he had signed. 

But you know, just keep slamming the club about this. 

I’m not slamming the club, I’m simply saying they should have backed McClaren and really pushed out for him in that situation, like they did for the all of those over the hill championship players we signed for previous managers(and managers after) who were past their best. And that doesn’t address my point why the club only recruit in certain locations. An effective scouting system would have people assessing players all around the world, with each individual person focusing on a precise area and returning information back to the club , this is basic stuff, even FIFA career mode gets this right! And if we do do that, are you really telling me there’s no player outside of England that would improve the club? 

22 minutes ago, Sexydadbod said:

This is exactly is my point, there was no long term plan at that stage(and I still don’t think there is), the club were desperate for promotion so only focused on over the hill championship players, instead of planning diligently for the future. I don’t know know many people we have on their scouting team, but a team with good recruitment will have people scouting all around the world, instead of focusing on certain places.

Everyone and his dog who saw Watkins’ season at Exeter knew he was going to be a heck of a player, why didn’t we go back in for him (I don’t mean half heartedly) when the option was there, McClaren wanted him. If Watkins himself refused, then there’s nothing you can about that, but at least try to make it hard for Brentford to get him instead of giving them an easy path to go get him. 

Another interesting point about Brentford.

They have a policy of not loaning any players in, they don't see any long term investment in loaning a player, they rather buy someone, coach them and sell for a lot of money.

I say it often, instead of us sponging 10 million on the likes of Bielek, we should be going to Brentford and asking them to name their price for their recruitment team and sack Maclarens son, Mel Morris's son and any other son employed to 'scout' players using fifa and football manager.

1 minute ago, IslandExile said:

You missed Chris Martin's name from Clough's list.

But you're right. Though wasn't Rooney signed without a fee? And a player from the minor leagues abroad.

Yeah, Martin is another but didn’t really want to include him in case anyone pedantic said that “everyone knew he did well at Norwich” so anyone could have signed him. Nigel Clough may not have been perfect , but he knew a player when he saw one, the 2013/2014 team we all loved had a lot of his players in.  I wouldn’t mind him back in the future in a footballing director capacity, helping to identify players. 

4 minutes ago, Sexydadbod said:

I’m not slamming the club, I’m simply saying they should have backed McClaren and really pushed out for him in that situation, like they did for the all of those over the hill championship players we signed for previous managers(and managers after) who were past their best. And that doesn’t address my point why the club only recruit in certain locations. An effective scouting system would have people assessing players all around the world, with each individual person focusing on a precise area and returning information back to the club , this is basic stuff, even FIFA career mode gets this right! And if we do do that, are you really telling me there’s no player outside of England that would improve the club? 

But isn't that why we are in this position of having to sell our stadium and being charged by the EFL? We can't have it both ways, we either have to say that's too much and walk away or we say duck it and disregard ffp. 

21 minutes ago, Sexydadbod said:

??, well that’s good isn’t it, why didn’t we continue tracking his situation even after they rejected our bid then, then they wouldn’t have found themselves in that situation where they look silly after?

I don’t even mean putting all eggs into one basket, but at least have a general idea of what’s happening with his situation instead of abandoning it completely and then having no clue. A club who was ran well at that time would have kept tabs on him if they really wanted him. 

Well if you had bid £2m, they tell you they want £4m, a few days later Brentford offer £1.8m, are you going to think that Exeter are going to accept that and put in a higher bid?

The first we knew of their bid being accepted was when he was signed. 

1 hour ago, SIXTEEN AGAIN said:

Did he not (allegedly) have an attitude problem when he was on loan, i seem to remember rumours of one player saying he was a an arrogant Charlie.

Going around the changing room saying he was premier league whilst his current team mates were only championship standard.

He may have been right but it doesn't really foster a team ethos to say it.

Well he isn’t a premier league player because he never actually plays in the premier league especially from the start of a game - sure he gets paid a lot but he doesn’t earn it 

1 hour ago, cannable said:

I don’t know if you’ve done it intentionally or not but a lot of this figures are if all add-ons are met. I think looking at it solely from resale value is a little unfair as well. You have to factor in the context. 

Anya was a part of a rebuilding process that was stopped after a couple of months. He was identified to play in a 442. The managerial changes is what’s affected his value and output. 

It's not just the fee though is it. If Anya had been on sensible wages I bet we could have loaned him out more easily - well no actually I don't cos he's always conveniently injured around transfer window time! Lol, but you know what I mean. ?

58 minutes ago, rynny said:

But isn't that why we are in this position of having to sell our stadium and being charged by the EFL? We can't have it both ways, we either have to say that's too much and walk away or we say duck it and disregard ffp. 

Well if you had bid £2m, they tell you they want £4m, a few days later Brentford offer £1.8m, are you going to think that Exeter are going to accept that and put in a higher bid?

The first we knew of their bid being accepted was when he was signed. 

All I want is for recruitment team to have more regard to other countries and the lower leagues, there are some proper gems out there if they looked hard enough, then we wouldn’t have to overspend on championship players and find ourselves having to sell and buy back our own stadium to get around ffp. Look at Brentford with Mbumo and benrahma, two absolute quality players, Norwich last season with the likes of Pukki, Buendia, Hernandez, stipierman. Absolute quality players out there , of course not all of them will be successes but we shouldn’t neglect that market. Leeds signed Augustin on loan from Leipzig the other day, we are never linked with overseas players like this because our radar isn’t wide enough

3 minutes ago, Sexydadbod said:

All I want is for recruitment team to have more regard to other countries and the lower leagues, there are some proper gems out there if they looked hard enough, then we wouldn’t have to overspend on championship players and find ourselves having to sell and buy back our own stadium to get around ffp. Look at Brentford with Mbumo and benrahma, two absolute quality players, Norwich last season with the likes of Pukki, Buendia, Hernandez, stipierman. Absolute quality players out there , of course not all of them will be successes but we shouldn’t neglect that market. Leeds signed Augustin on loan from Leipzig the other day, we are never linked with overseas players like this because our radar isn’t wide enough

We have literally been linked with players from abroad this window

Archived