January 2020 transfer window

oomarkwright

13 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Interest seems to be hotting up in tyrese campbell - stoke.

Son of kevin campbell.

20 years old, left footed striker. Formerly with man city academy. 

Out of contract in the summer

two good goals v huddersfield have brought him to prominence.(goals 3 (cracker) and four for stoke) number 26

might be a great signing for someone - replace waggers? 

We have offers for waggers?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, RamNut said:

I don't think we need any new strikers.

We already have three fighting over one shirt. Maybe in the summer when we make a decision on chris and waggy.

we don't need much at all now imo given that the academy has suddenly produced a decent crop.

centre half, and a natural left footed left winger if we can find them. 

Maybe a keeper, but Roos played very well v Palace. It just depends whether the fans are prepared to give him another chance. 

we can afford to be very selective, and target younger players to add to our 'babes'. 

There aren't many players around who fit the bill. (Lyle taylor is 29).

Iv'e posted before that we should take a look at Connor McLennan 20 year Old from Aberdeen current Scottish Under 21 international, scored 2 in his last 4 international appearances. He would really fit this bill. Preferred position is LW but can also comfortably play RW and CF. Have seen him play a few times this season, a real understanding of the game and works the wings well with a good footballing mentality. Without a doubt IMO would add to "our babes"

I know many might not agree but we really don’t need to bust the bank on anyone in this window as we have actually got a new and fine player in Rooney who has changed the viewpoint of the team set up and with the return of Huddlestone and Shinnie and the confidence I have in sibley, knight and bird I think we are well covered in central midfield and up front Waghorn Martin and Marriott are contributing to the team and out wide- ish we still have the likes of Lawrence, Holmes and Bennett to return. In goal the two keepers are functional at this level and our main area of worry is centre half but it is extremely difficult to bring in anyone at centre half on a loan who will improve us at this point - Davies and Clarke are functional at this level and wisdom Forsyth and Evans could step in if injuries arrive.

we have a very decent squad 

40 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I know many might not agree but we really don’t need to bust the bank on anyone in this window as we have actually got a new and fine player in Rooney who has changed the viewpoint of the team set up and with the return of Huddlestone and Shinnie and the confidence I have in sibley, knight and bird I think we are well covered in central midfield and up front Waghorn Martin and Marriott are contributing to the team and out wide- ish we still have the likes of Lawrence, Holmes and Bennett to return. In goal the two keepers are functional at this level and our main area of worry is centre half but it is extremely difficult to bring in anyone at centre half on a loan who will improve us at this point - Davies and Clarke are functional at this level and wisdom Forsyth and Evans could step in if injuries arrive.

we have a very decent squad 

I agree with everything bar comment on centre back. Evans is out injured and Fozzy has been found wanting at cb which leaves us with Wisdom as cover and he has been doing fine at RB. At the end of this season we have Curtis as our only recognised CB so it would make more sense to get at least one CB in now with a view to retaining them next season rather than trying to get two signed and up to speed during pre-season. I get the comment on 'extremely difficult' but that is their job, if it was easy numpties like myself could handle it.

26 minutes ago, metalsheep02 said:

I agree with everything bar comment on centre back. Evans is out injured and Fozzy has been found wanting at cb which leaves us with Wisdom as cover and he has been doing fine at RB. At the end of this season we have Curtis as our only recognised CB so it would make more sense to get at least one CB in now with a view to retaining them next season rather than trying to get two signed and up to speed during pre-season. I get the comment on 'extremely difficult' but that is their job, if it was easy numpties like myself could handle it.

My view on the centre back situation relates to getting ‘better’ centre half’s in January- can we sign them permanently? Maybe not and can we sign them on loan? Usually they want a guarantee of playing or the club loaning wants that as well and we have seen in the past that it can destroy morale very quickly. Whilst Forsyth has had difficult moments helping the team out at centre half it was worth noting that he helped keep a clean sheet away at at premiership club last weekend which may have actually been helped by the fact that we had two former England internationals in front of him (Rooney and Huddlestone) who instantly controlled the football and never actually gave it away - it makes a difference 

also worth noting that Cocu tried Belick at centre half but chose Forsyth over him

If we have any money I'd go guns blazing for an experienced (over the hill I suppose at our level) ball-playing centre back or a promising youngster blood him this season in readiness for next. For me, CB is by far our biggest problem. As others have said, he have options elsewhere and ideally, it'd be good to get a proper winger in but it's CB for me all day long. Not a loan, not a stopper but a Stimac ('cos it's that easy!). 

26 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

My view on the centre back situation relates to getting ‘better’ centre half’s in January- can we sign them permanently? Maybe not and can we sign them on loan? Usually they want a guarantee of playing or the club loaning wants that as well and we have seen in the past that it can destroy morale very quickly. Whilst Forsyth has had difficult moments helping the team out at centre half it was worth noting that he helped keep a clean sheet away at at premiership club last weekend which may have actually been helped by the fact that we had two former England internationals in front of him (Rooney and Huddlestone) who instantly controlled the football and never actually gave it away - it makes a difference 

also worth noting that Cocu tried Belick at centre half but chose Forsyth over him

Also worth noting that Rooney gave the CBs a rollicking for passing sideways which has caused problems in the past. 

Forsyth is much better doing the simple things. If you ask him to head it and hoof it he will oblige. 

The players we needed at the beginning of December will have now changed somewhat because of the rise of some academy players and also the improvement of other players during that month. 

Depending on whether we are seriously looking at challenging for the play offs this year, do we really need to bring somebody in just for the sake of it? 

I'd be happy with Hamer for the rest of the season. We've got reasonable cover at CB and both full backs. We are stacked out in midfield and we also have a possible top goalscorer in Jack Marriott and Chris Martin. Goals will also come from across the team so maybe, we don't need to waste any money in this window for only a small chance at a play off spot. 

Just because we may have investment, doesn't mean we have to spend it on players that probably won't improve us. 

1 minute ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

The players we needed at the beginning of December will have now changed somewhat because of the rise of some academy players and also the improvement of other players during that month. 

Depending on whether we are seriously looking at challenging for the play offs this year, do we really need to bring somebody in just for the sake of it? 

I'd be happy with Hamer for the rest of the season. We've got reasonable cover at CB and both full backs. We are stacked out in midfield and we also have a possible top goalscorer in Jack Marriott and Chris Martin. Goals will also come from across the team so maybe, we don't need to waste any money in this window for only a small chance at a play off spot. 

Just because we may have investment, doesn't mean we have to spend it on players that probably won't improve us. 

I don't think it is simply about this season though. Signing a player now, even on loan with option to buy makes things easier in the summer. If we wait until the summer we defer the issue and risk a 10 / 15 game transition when new players get up to speed, fine tune their fitness and get used to playing with new team mates. We have seen that this season with Bielik who has seemingly suffered from lack of a proper pre-season. At worst we end up like we did this season with 3rd / 4th choices being signed late on in the window.

Call me a negative Nigel, but I have a strong suspicion we will sign either someone crap that is no better than our under 23s  like Dowell , Blackman ,Camara ect or nobody at all. It would be nice for the first time in years to make a decent signing in January, its frusating either signing pure crap or nobody at all.  As another poster has just said above,  its not just about trying to sneak into the top 6 this season or get into the top 10 and finish on a high, it would help massively to sign a quality player or two  now for next season. Look what has happened with Bielik  and Marriott last season, injured /unfit for about 12 games because we signed them late or unfit  impacting our start to the season , next season if we are going for promotion we can't duck around.  Either we sign 1 or 2  this month, preferably either a centre back and a replacement for whatever we shift out e.g Lawrence ,Jozefoon  and maybe a GK or in the summer we will have to act fast and sign about 5 or 6 players by the time pre season starts in Mid July if we are serious about doing anything other than midtable next season. I remember we used to be astute with our business under Clough and get signings in early, now we either get our pants pulled down like we have with Lawrence, Johnson, Butterfield and Anya  and possibly Bielik if he continues how he is or fail to address serious issue in the team like GK and for many years wingers and holding midfield. 

Archived