So what do we expect this season

Curtains

8 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

You're forgetting possibly £7m or £8m in managerial compensation.

A play off final appearance. 

Man United and Chelsea cup games.

I'd guess up to £5m a year shifted off the wage bill.

Compensation reported to be 4mn + Morris et al (max 1mn for assistants I guess).  But even if one was to be generous and say we had £10mn of exceptional (one-off) income this summer, that still means we can only afford to lose £12mn a year for next two years and be FFP compliant.

Reducing losses from £25mn to £12mn is still very difficult.  And doesn't leave much room for buying players

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Gritty said:

Compensation reported to be 4mn + Morris et al (max 1mn for assistants I guess).  But even if one was to be generous and say we had £10mn of exceptional (one-off) income this summer, that still means we can only afford to lose £12mn a year for next two years and be FFP compliant.

Reducing losses from £25mn to £12mn is still very difficult.  And doesn't leave much room for buying players

I dont believe what you are saying is correct. You are quoting the headline loss rather than the FFP loss.

I believe that the headline loss can be reduced by something like £5m per annum for academy costs plus there isnt there an amount that can be covered by capital injections?

Never really tried to understand FFP but that was my take on it.

So let's what I have said is wrong, and say we have to reduce losses by £12m could we do it through wages alone?

That's circa £230k per week:-

Blackman 

Johnson

Butterfield

Olsson 

Pearce

Vydra

I'd say the above has us well on the way.

Shift Thorne, Martin and Anya and think we would be way over that £230k per week level.

Add to this the fact that we will no longer have amortisation for the above players.

As silly as it sounds, once the Sam Rush mess has been cleared I think it would be quite possible that the £25m loss becomes less than £12m.

So we should have some room to sign players if we wanted to?

i think we are shying away from making signings in attempting to promote some of the academy players. But the whittakers, birds, sibleys, and buchanan's don't yet look ready, and there is still plenty of scope to improve the team. 

Our recruitment record is not good though. Having lost alot of money on johnson, butterfield, blackman and co, we look likely to repeat the trick with lawrence, jozefzoon, huddlestone, and anya.

If there was no money in the pot, we wouldn't have attracted or brought in Cocu. He's going to be either the highest paid manager in the division or within the top 3. I imagine his backroom staff coming in make him/them the highest paid coaching team in the Championship. 

I don't buy that there is no money in the pot, although I do think that Mel rates our youth team so highly that he's reluctant to splash the cash on permanent fees that may block the pathway for some of our better players. Nevertheless, I imagine that we will see high quality, more to the point: expensive, loan players come through the door. 

We really need to wait until the end of the window to vilify Mel for being tight and leaving Cocu without the tools for the job. I personally think we've been wasteful with our time, not that we've had the easiest hand in that regard, but we'll still do what we can with regards to FFP. 

14 hours ago, Ramleicester said:

OMG. Do you really think I meant pound coins!

The way you were talking certainly suggested you did... ?

14 hours ago, Ramleicester said:

That is why it is important, that and an investor that can top the bank account up. Then we can go shopping. If the credit card is maxed out the Mrs cant go and buy a new handback.

I really don't think you know what you're talking about - And whilst I can try and explain it to you, unfortunately I can't understand it for you

• Uncle Mel has loads of cash monies - He would like to put more of that into the club
  • The main thing preventing that has been FFP 
  • These are all things he said when interviewed by Talksport
  • The sale of the ground gives us a 'profit' in one season's books - Which means we have more room against FFP and therefore increases the amount which Uncle Mel can put in this season

So please do explain again why we have no 'cash' to spend - We're in a better FFP position than we've been in years, we have books balanced and an owner with deep pockets and we have no debts to the bank so our credit position must be pretty handy - Where's the cash flow problem you've invented?

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

So please do explain again why we have no 'cash' to spend - We're in a better FFP position than we've been in years, we have books balanced and an owner with deep pockets and we have no debts to the bank so our credit position must be pretty handy - Where's the cash flow problem you've invented?

I agree with what you're saying. But what I don't (so far) understand is if we have 'cash' but can't spend it how will new investors change that?

1 hour ago, desirelines said:

Not the Top 20 podcast have predicted a 10th finish for us this season. Fair? 

Lost (arguably) our three best players from last season - Only one addition - New manager

Currently yeh that's probably about fair

However - We showed last season that we're 2-3 players away from competing with the top sides in the league - If we make 2 good signings or bring through the next Will Hughes (or 2) and Cocu can add some much needed consistency to the side then who knows

2 hours ago, desirelines said:

Not the Top 20 podcast have predicted a 10th finish for us this season. Fair? 

Currently pretty fair yeah. I’d say full strength probably about 8th, but with inevitable injuries we could go down to 12th-ish.

Still time to get a couple of loans in though which could make all the difference - it doesn’t have to be in time for the Huddersfield game.

4 hours ago, cheron85 said:

The way you were talking certainly suggested you did... ?

I really don't think you know what you're talking about - And whilst I can try and explain it to you, unfortunately I can't understand it for you

• Uncle Mel has loads of cash monies - He would like to put more of that into the club
  • The main thing preventing that has been FFP 
  • These are all things he said when interviewed by Talksport
  • The sale of the ground gives us a 'profit' in one season's books - Which means we have more room against FFP and therefore increases the amount which Uncle Mel can put in this season

How do you know Mel Morris wants to put more in to the club, or has the wherewithal?  He may be wonderfully rich, but he might well be at the point that enough is enough. He will also have funds invested elsewhere which he doesn’t want to, or can’t, liquidate. Hence why he might be keen to bring in other money, and perhaps why despite any FFP headroom we might not be going out buying players.  

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

How do you know Mel Morris wants to put more in to the club, or has the wherewithal?  He may be wonderfully rich, but he might well be at the point that enough is enough. He will also have funds invested elsewhere which he doesn’t want to, or can’t, liquidate. Hence why he might be keen to bring in other money, and perhaps why despite any FFP headroom we might not be going out buying players.  

He has regularly stated his frustration that FFP limited the amount of money he could put in - And stated as such in the interview on Talksport in June ? 

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I agree with what you're saying. But what I don't (so far) understand is if we have 'cash' but can't spend it how will new investors change that?

It appears that the suggestion is that the new 'investors' will be putting money in to the club in ways other than capital investment, such as sponsorship.

Gibson meltdown incoming if true.

My prediction is that we'll start really poorly. Cocu will underestimate the pace and power of the league. He'll also fail to realise that when he says 'keep possession', our players hear 'pass it sideways until we give it away'. I reckon we'll be 19th by the end of October.

I think Cocu will learn quickly though. To sure things up, we'll go defensive and look to play on the counter. This will be like watching paint dry, but it'll gradually edge us up the table. We'll be in 12th by new years day. 

In January, we'll recruit two big fast midfielders and a tall striker. We'll play a diamond formation, with either Waghorn or Marriott just behind the new signing. Suddenly everything will click into place and we'll be the form team in the second half of the season - what February wobble? We'll end up 4th and get promoted through the play offs.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kieranmaguire/status/1114172411631611905

The above tweet seems to suggest Mel didn't put any actual cash into the club for the period stated.

Does anyone know if that's because the income from the stadium sale negated any need for a cash injection because it was actual cash received, or was that just a paper transaction and no actual investment was made?

Sorry in advance for the dumb question.

Archived