So what do we expect this season

Curtains

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, BodminRam said:

Mid table finish for me with this team, only pre season I know, but a weakened leeds team beat a team 3,2 that we lost 2,0 to

I’m confused...who did Leeds beat 3-2 that we lost 2-0 to? 

I'll just say this. 

The two times Derby have been promoted to the Premie League, its been with managers in their first season, largely making do with the squad they inherited, promoting youth and coaching them to better performances. 

And in both cases they made a very slow start to the season before kicking into life around October. So hang on in there if we don't look the finished article in August. 

1 minute ago, therealhantsram said:

I'll just say this. 

The two times Derby have been promoted to the Premie League, its been with managers in their first season, largely making do with the squad they inherited, promoting youth and coaching them to better performances. 

And in both cases they made a very slow start to the season before kicking into life around October. So hang on in there if we don't look the finished article in August. 

Just to counter that with the number of managers Mel Morris has bulleted recently we have also had a lot of managers in their first season who didn't get us into the Premiership....or didn't even get a full first season at all

2 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

I'll just say this. 

Not the way I remember it, but...

Unless we have a couple of decent players in on loan I really can't see the current squad finishing in the top ten. 

If you look at our 2019 performances  and then take Mount, Tomori and Wilson out of the team we're pretty much bottom half.   

Praying I'm wrong. 

10 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

I'll just say this. 

To be honest, bar Sturridge and Carsley under Smith and Barnes with Davies that isn't may recollection at all. In fact Davies spent a fair bit of money .   

38 minutes ago, Gritty said:

Ffp means we can't spend much cash at all.  That's because we've misspent silly amounts in the past on players (assembling a squad to suit different styles for different managers) and now it's come back to bite us. 

We're competing against numerous clubs benefiting from parachutes.  So yes, we're going to have to box clever, do what we can with the players we've got plus a couple of loans, and accept that we need to go through a painful period of readjustment.

It may not be what everyone wants.  But ffp means it's necessary. 

Its 7 clubs on parachute payments next season - West Brom, Stoke, Fulham, Huddersfield, Cardiff, Boro and Hull. They basically get first dibs on any players we may want to sign due to the extra financial muscle and then we get whats left.

14 minutes ago, Mckram said:

We pretty much played our u18s against them, how has that got any showing on what we are going to do this season? 

Nah - doesnt count. Didnt you know we're getting relegated next season?

9 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

I'll just say this. 

Brian Clough finished 18th in his first season with us didnt he? Wish we'd have got rid right there and then - it was obvious he'd never accomplish anything after that.

6 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Just to counter that with the number of managers Mel Morris has bulleted recently we have also had a lot of managers in their first season who didn't get us into the Premiership....or didn't even get a full first season at all

"Recently". I agree Mel was a bit trigger happy early on, but its been a while since he sacked anyone. Lamps got a full season and Gary got a season and a half before leaving of their own accord.

7 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

To be honest, bar Sturridge and Carsley under Smith and Barnes with Davies that isn't may recollection at all. In fact Davies spent a fair bit of money .   

He brought super Stevie Howard, Oakley, Jones, Bywater ,Leackock and loaned Lupoli in. Sure there were a few more as well.

At Christmas he went mental and brought a load more in.

1 hour ago, BodminRam said:

Mid table finish for me with this team, only pre season I know, but a weakened leeds team beat a team 3,2 that we lost 2,0 to

It's possible that we start the opening day with no players that started that game, so I wouldn't read too much into that. Pre-season in general can be a confusing time, unless there is now a team in Japan better than Barcelona (one beat Chelsea, the other lost to Chelsea). Burton also beat Sheffield United, before losing to us 5-2. Liverpool have also lost nearly every single game this pre-season, but I'd still by house on them finishing within the top 2 this season. 

I don't think we'll finish outside the top 10. Cocu is a good manager, regardless of the talent in the squad, he should be able to achieve some good results with the players he has at his disposal. I'll wait until the window closes to summarise our window, but we've been incredibly wasteful with our time. It may be that we're willing to pay top £££ for the very best young players at big clubs, so have had to wait for their tours to finish so it's been out of hands. 

If we're going to rely on teams to lend us players then we have to do it on their time schedule. 

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

I'll just say this. 

In the 2005/6 Promotion Season wee Billy signed the following Players :-

Steve Howard
Mo Camara
Matt Oakley
Dave Jones
Bob Malcolm
Dean Leacock
Steven Bywater
Ryan Smith
Arturo Lupoli (Loan)
Darren Currie (Loan)
Jay McEveley
Stephen Pearson
Craig Fagan
Jon Macken
Tyrone Mears (Loan, then perm)
Gary Teale

I make that 16 Players signed that Season - SIXTEEN! 

32 minutes ago, mice_elf said:

In the 2005/6 Promotion Season wee Billy signed the following Players :-

Steve Howard
Mo Camara
Matt Oakley
Dave Jones
Bob Malcolm
Dean Leacock
Steven Bywater
Ryan Smith
Arturo Lupoli (Loan)
Darren Currie (Loan)
Jay McEveley
Stephen Pearson
Craig Fagan
Jon Macken
Tyrone Mears (Loan, then perm)
Gary Teale

I make that 16 Players signed that Season - SIXTEEN! 

This list just highlights why Cocu is taking his time. What a truly horrific set of signings, I always thought Davies signings made the team worse.

If Cocu gets the time, patience and backing he requires, I think we’ll finish in the top 6.

I think there’ll be challenges and obstacles - they are already presenting themselves - but I just think Cocu will prove his worth given the time to put his stamp on the team and put over his ideas.

2016-17 was an absolute car crash of a season - one in which we had three different managers - and we were still able to finish 9th!

I don’t think there are 6 teams in this division that are unquestionably better than us. So why not be hopeful?

I just think it’s too easy to be negative and fear the worst. The reality is we are a capricious fan base - we could beat Huddersfield next week and just like that, the whole mood changes. 

Yes, it’s been a chaotic pre-season. Yes, our preparation has been less than ideal. Yes, we’ve been unusually quiet in the transfer market. Yes, we are highly likely to be behind other teams in our readiness. Yes, there are areas of the team that need addressing. But these are all as a consequence of the uncertainty Lampard brought upon the club by taking so much time to decide his future.

Cocu is not really responsible. He is simply trying to pick up the pieces. I don’t see what more he could have done in his short time at the club?

Give the bloke time.

Archived