So what do we expect this season

Curtains

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Good article, I wouldn't say it is negative but it does make you realise there is a bit more 'gamble' around all of this than maybe many have considered. I do sure hope this is the beginning of something wonderful, but it is far from guaranteed and it won't be overnight.

Mid table for me - I agree with the post about Lampard applying sticking plasters with Mount, Wilson and Tomori.

I’m not expecting much incoming this week but without it I don’t think we are a top 6 side.

Of course I’m happy to be proved wrong !

23 minutes ago, Justa said:

Mid table for me - I agree with the post about Lampard applying sticking plasters with Mount, Wilson and Tomori.

I’m not expecting much incoming this week but without it I don’t think we are a top 6 side.

Of course I’m happy to be proved wrong !

I dont really agree. I think the permanent signings we made under him (Waghorn, Marriott and Holmes) were brilliant signings too.

36 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

I dont really agree. I think the permanent signings we made under him (Waghorn, Marriott and Holmes) were brilliant signings too.

That's very debatable, Holmes has been a good signing due to how cheap he was but hasn't set the world alight, Waghorn is an ok signing as he didn't quite have the best of seasons last year due to mainly playing out of position and not starting that many games. Marriott  has been unfit half of the time and has  hoo hah surrounding him( probably BS but who knows)  he could be a 20 goal a seasons striker but is starting to seem like a Sturridge or a Carroll in injury terms.

1 minute ago, Blondest Goat said:

We should've done better last year.  Some good signings and three excellent players on loan added to a side that had finished top 6 the year before with an overly defensive manager who noone rated and didn't really play to our strengths.  

Lampard wasn't a better manager than Rowett just a lot more popular due to playing better football and using younger players, in terms of results Rowett did better with what he had at his disposal. I think we were lucky to get in the playoffs in the last 2 seasons as we hobbled over the line on both occasions, we need big investment to make a promotion side but as of yet we now look a midtable team.

I expect to go to watch my hometown club, getting some quality time with my Son and getting out of doing chores as I’m not at home to do them!

As for the football, hopefully it will be reasonably entertaining with a bit more tactical composure than last season and without the bizarre starting 11 on some occasions. 

Marriott to bang in over 20 goals and us in or around the play offs.

Mid-table with the current squad, with a couple of the young players having proven they have great value. A couple won't quite make it. No idea who  competitive football shapes things fast!

With about 2-3 or 4 of the right signings (CB,  a centre mid, potentially  up totwo actual wingers) we can be Top 6. It comes down to replacing Tomori's ridiculous staying power at the back, Wilson's goals and Mount's running of the game. 

I don't put any blame on Cocu, he's trying to use what players he as available to him. But the midfield he put out for the the Rangers game was woefully inadequate for the job.

A good team needs a strong cohesive midfield unit. They don't have to be world beaters, as proved by Jim Smith's promotion team. Just competent in doing what is required of them. To assist the defence and then move the ball forward, to support our attacking players and help and provided goal scoring opportunities.

The make-up of our starting midfield three or four if you want to include Lawernce in there, just didn't work as a unit. Huddlestone's one or two decent forward passes, doesn't make up for his lack of mobility and inadequate tackling. Dowell who some have seen as a the replacement for last seasons loanees and there lies a problem, Mount and Wilson had each other as support, look how they performed when one was missing. Who is going to be Dowell's support? Bennett or Lawrence 

Bennett is having to learn a new set of skills than the ones he as needed as a forward so could take awhile to become an effective midfielder. Lawrence is not a winger or even a natural wide midfield player and when given the change to play a more central position, he hasn't taken the opportunity to prove he is capable of filling that role.

So unless any of our other midfielders who have not presently managed to get much game or are injured can show they may be capable of forming a working midfield unit then Cocu and his coaching staff have a lot of work to do.

• Leeds to win the league by Christmas but somehow not get promoted
  • Mel to attract new investment to set us on our way to the CL 
  • The club to sell Mason Bennett to said investors for £100 million
  • The club use the funds to sign Gareth Bale 
  • Steve Gibson to lose his mind completely over the above and throws himself in the River Tees, drowning in the process
  • Boro to get promoted the very next season playing champagne football
  • Gumps owner arrested over connections to Mexican drug cartels
  • The fridge bloke to buy back the club at 5p in the £
  • Notts County to finish above them the following season
  • Large numbers of Derby fans admitted to hospital with hernias from laughing too hard

All in all, a quiet year or two ahead 

10 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:
  • Leeds to win the league by Christmas but somehow not get promoted
  • Mel to attract new investment to set us on our way to the CL 
  • The club to sell Mason Bennett to said investors for £100 million
  • The club use the funds to sign Gareth Bale 
  • Steve Gibson to lose his mind completely over the above and throws himself in the River Tees, drowning in the process
  • Boro to get promoted the very next season playing champagne football
  • Gumps owner arrested over connections to Mexican drug cartels
  • The fridge bloke to buy back the club at 5p in the £
  • Notts County to finish above them the following season
  • Large numbers of Derby fans admitted to hospital with hernias from laughing too hard

All in all, a quiet year or two ahead 

Yeah can see this happening apart from the Bennett one.

54 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Lawrence is not a winger or even a natural wide midfield player and when given the change to play a more central position, he hasn't taken the opportunity to prove he is capable of filling that role.

Lawrence can be a great wide player, just look at him in the West brom game at home on final day. Causing all sorts of problems for defenders cutting in and out, he can do it when he wants to. When played in the centre too he has the capability to get shots off and score. Personally I think he's good and got serious potential but like many others I also think he doesn't use it.

18 hours ago, GenBr said:

Why would new investors make any difference? FFP is the limiting factor - not the amount of money we have.

Well if the club runs out of cash then it goes into administration which is not good! The way cash has been burnt the last 24 months that is a real possibility.

Investors bring two things. One is capital investment which as you rightly say has no effect of easing ffp worries. The second thing is potential income streams through large scale sponsorship and marketing deals. Good examples of this are Etihad for Man City and King Power at Leicester. Both those deals allowed massive income to be drawn into the club which does ease ffp issues ( although Man City may have overplayed that hence the current investigation). 

Also if the stadium deal falls foul of the Midlesborough inspired investigation then new investors could be important in resolving that. Big part of ffp is the interpretation of 'financial stability' which would also look better with new investors.

Does that help?

Archived