So what do we expect this season

Curtains

40 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I would hope he does want to win every game. What manager wouldn't?

Gary Rowett. We set up to draw numerous games under him. Hell - i'm pretty sure he set us up against Wolves to try and not lose by too many.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It'll be interesting to re-read this thread at the end of the season. My thoughts are this.

We have hired a coach who could quite conceivably have landed a top-flight club and one who is reportedly excellent at blooding young players and improving them. Given the excellent progress of our u18 and u23 squads it appears Cocu and DCFC are a perfect fit. 

We, as supporters, need to reign in our short term desire for success and look at the mid-to-long term for the club. The biggest part we can play is to encourage the young lads every step of the way and accept that promotion is unlikely straight away adopting this new approach of financial sensibility.

Given the full four years of his deal I'd expect Cocu to get us promoted and have us in an excellent position financially through his development of the academy lads through his coaching skills and willingness to give them first-team minutes. It will also be fantastic to see x number of Derby academy players make the step up and be worth x millions of pounds too. 

As for the upcoming season I'm hoping to see a continuation of the good football we tried to play under Frank and the integration of Lowe, Buchanan, Knight, Sibley, Thomas and others into the matchday squad and team. Realistically, with the loss of our POTY, top scorer and the excellent Mount we're significantly weaker on paper and as such I think we'll do well to make the playoffs. 

I'm looking at it as a four-year plan though and I'm confident that after four years we'll not only be a PL club but one whose future is bright - orange obviously - and whose decision to trust in youth has paid dividends both on the pitch and financially.

COYR  

25 minutes ago, Rampant said:

It'll be interesting to re-read this thread at the end of the season. My thoughts are this.

We have hired a coach who could quite conceivably have landed a top-flight club and one who is reportedly excellent at blooding young players and improving them. Given the excellent progress of our u18 and u23 squads it appears Cocu and DCFC are a perfect fit. 

We, as supporters, need to reign in our short term desire for success and look at the mid-to-long term for the club. The biggest part we can play is to encourage the young lads every step of the way and accept that promotion is unlikely straight away adopting this new approach of financial sensibility.

Given the full four years of his deal I'd expect Cocu to get us promoted and have us in an excellent position financially through his development of the academy lads through his coaching skills and willingness to give them first-team minutes. It will also be fantastic to see x number of Derby academy players make the step up and be worth x millions of pounds too. 

As for the upcoming season I'm hoping to see a continuation of the good football we tried to play under Frank and the integration of Lowe, Buchanan, Knight, Sibley, Thomas and others into the matchday squad and team. Realistically, with the loss of our POTY, top scorer and the excellent Mount we're significantly weaker on paper and as such I think we'll do well to make the playoffs. 

I'm looking at it as a four-year plan though and I'm confident that after four years we'll not only be a PL club but one whose future is bright - orange obviously - and whose decision to trust in youth has paid dividends both on the pitch and financially.

COYR  

Not sure Barnsley will let us have him back after they reportedly paid over a million for him in June!

I expect to see women scrapping at the turnstiles with stewards fighting to confiscate their sarnies.

I expect to see the director's box pelted with sausage rolls and scotch eggs by the West Stand ultras.

I expect to see b4 reap the benefit of his mason bennett man love as the local boy comes good.

I expect to be driven daft by the continued absence of jack Marriott

I expect us to smash Forest, Leeds, west brom, and boro only to lose to Luton, charlton, millwall, and barnsley.

i expect to see jason knight running the midfield and drawing comparisons with roy keane

i expect to be excited and frustrated in equal measure.

i expect every man to do his duty.

33 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I expect moaning, booing, criticism of Keogh, and criticism from Jacob Rees Mogg for that comma I put before and.

Don't despair.  It's an Oxford comma, so it's all good! ☺️

What some fans are expecting and what they actually get may be Two different things, with the youngsters tipped to play this season we (the fans) have as much input into their development as the club when they are on the pitch. If we start getting on their back if they are having a poo game it's no use giving them grief, we should be encouraging them. Put them down and it knocks them back months and makes them nervous for the next game(s). Don't have a go at the youngsters because Cocu wants to integrate them into the 1st team. None of them wants to have a bad game, they all want to impress so get behind them and give them every encouragement.

That's my view but don't expect others to agree

Not a clue ,not sure what to make of it at the moment .Three quality players light ,a manager gone although in experienced had a major impact will that affect the players along with losing a final.

On the plus side a manager who appears on paper to be an upgrade, some great youngsters who are playing in Europe this season .

So anywhere between relegation and Champions for me.

9 hours ago, Rampant said:

So for about the 10th season in a row we should accept mediocrity for the promised land in about 4 years time?

Whatever happens I doubt whether Cocu will still be with us in 4 years time. If he is, I suspect we will be flying high in the Premier; realistically though I would suspect if he does well a bigger club will come calling.

I can see beyond the season and to next summer. 

I predict fans going on about an armband and stressing about the season in July before a ball has been kicked and while the transfer/loan window is still open with most clubs still in various stages of preparation.

Or fans talking about smashing the league because they beat Lazio in a friendly 

Problem is we have decent pacey impact players (I,E bennett and Flo-Jo) starting, because we have not replaced mount or wilson. This is gonna hurt us big time

Players like bennett are ineffective when they start but make for very good useful sub players (i.e last season vs reading and hull). We lack depth

10 hours ago, Rampant said:

COYR  

Agree with all of this (although I suspect we may only integrate a couple of youth this year as not all may be ready)

7 hours ago, Ramleicester said:

This will happen

1. In 7 to 10 days time new investors announced.

2. Not much transfer activity until then. Then a bunch of deals that have been waiting for that.

3. Playoffs. But winning.

Simples.

Why would new investors make any difference? FFP is the limiting factor - not the amount of money we have.

46 minutes ago, KCG said:

So for about the 10th season in a row we should accept mediocrity for the promised land in about 4 years time?

Whatever happens I doubt whether Cocu will still be with us in 4 years time. If he is, I suspect we will be flying high in the Premier; realistically though I would suspect if he does well a bigger club will come calling.

Ffp means we can't spend much cash at all.  That's because we've misspent silly amounts in the past on players (assembling a squad to suit different styles for different managers) and now it's come back to bite us. 

We're competing against numerous clubs benefiting from parachutes.  So yes, we're going to have to box clever, do what we can with the players we've got plus a couple of loans, and accept that we need to go through a painful period of readjustment.

It may not be what everyone wants.  But ffp means it's necessary. 

Archived