Chris Martin fitness

10 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Martin is a one dimensional player, by that I mean he can't play on the shoulder, he's not necessarily a target man and he won't chase the ball down the flanks. If you want him to do any of that, it's like asking a cat to bark, it's not going to produce results. If you play into his feet or chest, however, provide him with midfield movement then I'm sure he can do a job. 

Technically, he's probably the best striker we have. He's probably one of the best in the Championship with regards to his first touch and passing ability. He just doesn't have the range that Waghorn or Marriott do, particularly the first. I think even if we don't play to his strengths that he's still a good option off the bench, certainly when we're winning as he's great at winning free kicks and possession higher up the pitch.  

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a 433 where does he fit? Cocu plays with pacy proper wingers, no way would I start CM ahead of Jack Marriott, and I’m not starting either on the wing. Leaves room for a DM (possibly even two) and a max of two proper midfielders. 

7 minutes ago, Taribo said:

In a 433 where does he fit? Cocu plays with pacy proper wingers, no way would I start CM ahead of Jack Marriott, and I’m not starting either on the wing. Leaves room for a DM (possibly even two) and a max of two proper midfielders. 

I always thought Russell and ward were fairly pacy wingers and that seemed to work pretty well with Martin in the number 9...it was goals galore for most of the midfield and attack.

End of the day, we've lost Nugent, why on earth would we go out our way to go and purchase an experienced back up striker, when we've already got one? when called upon, Fartin Martin is more than capable of putting in a shift and I personally believe keeping him as a back up (if he doesn't mind that) would be our best option. 

I'd suggest it's a nice dilemma for a manager to have

Martin has always oozed class, plays well in an attacking, free-flowing, passing side as he provide good link up and works hard with his back to goal

Marriott also plays well in an attacking, free-flowing, passing side - His instinctive reactions, ability to beat the offside trap, link up play when dropping in and sheer tenacity are brilliant

Waghorn ALSO plays well in an attacking, free-flowing, passing side - Combines the ability to hold up the ball, drop off the shoulder, link up play, drop deep and a strikers instinct in the box - Plus he can play anywhere across a front 3

I'm not saying it's a must have but last season we had 3 strikers in the squad - With Nuge having left I don't see a problem having 3 again personally - Plus would rather spend money elsewhere when we brought in 2 last season and have 1 coming back from loan

38 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Martin has always oozed class, plays well in an attacking, free-flowing, passing side as he provide good link up and works hard with his back to goal

Marriott also plays well in an attacking, free-flowing, passing side - His instinctive reactions, ability to beat the offside trap, link up play when dropping in and sheer tenacity are brilliant

Waghorn ALSO plays well in an attacking, free-flowing, passing side - Combines the ability to hold up the ball, drop off the shoulder, link up play, drop deep and a strikers instinct in the box - Plus he can play anywhere across a front 3

I'm not saying it's a must have but last season we had 3 strikers in the squad - With Nuge having left I don't see a problem having 3 again personally - Plus would rather spend money elsewhere when we brought in 2 last season and have 1 coming back from loan

I’ll go along with this.

If we’re not going to get another striker then we’ll need 3 and I’m happy with these.

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

29 minutes ago, Van Cone De Head said:

I’ll go along with this.

If we’re not going to get another striker then we’ll need 3 and I’m happy with these.

Plus Whittaker if things get desperate.

1 minute ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Plus Whittaker if things get desperate.

Whittaker seems like one of those youth players who'll either disappear completely or be a first team revelation wonderkid. No inbetween.

Obviously the former is far more likely but boy wouldn't it be nice if he gets a chance this season and it's the latter ? 

2 hours ago, Taribo said:

Looking at who we have to the way Cocu normally sets up is interesting:

Link to last time that PSV played Ajax when he was in charge (PSV won 3-0) by the way

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/spielbericht/index/spielbericht/2888373

Lozano and Bergwijn  are like greyhounds compared to our lot and obviously the big guy upfront.

The guy who i think we could afford and his a bit of a favourite is Hendrix would be a good shout for us.

Unfortunately don't see a place for Chrissy type player

22 minutes ago, WHAT DO I GET said:

Looking at who we have to the way Cocu normally sets up is interesting:

Link to last time that PSV played Ajax when he was in charge (PSV won 3-0) by the way

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/spielbericht/index/spielbericht/2888373

Lozano and Bergwijn  are like greyhounds compared to our lot and obviously the big guy upfront.

The guy who i think we could afford and his a bit of a favourite is Hendrix would be a good shout for us.

Unfortunately don't see a place for Chrissy type player

Or Marriott.

Guys - I hate to throw radical ideas around but there's a chance Cocu might have a look at the players and then design a version of a system he likes which suit the better ones?

He's played 4-3-3 in the past but bear in mind he's only (really) managed one club for 4 years - Doesn't mean he definitely will again and assuming he's not going to use players we already have (and have done well in recent years) seems a little OTT

I suspect he'll be pragmatic - In the next couple of years we'll definitely need a new CB or two - And we're in desperate need of a little midfield creativity and probably a goalscoring winger - I'm sure he's aware of this as a priority since those are the exact players who made such a difference last season

4 hours ago, David said:

I hope we’re not suggesting playing Marriott out wide to make room for Martin in the team?

Spot on comment....why is there this obsession with CM ??? Marriott scores goals ...has the last 2/3 seasons gone unnoticed ?? Chris has contributed very little and before anyone says he hasn’t had a chance blah blah he has in training and under23 games and he was loaned out so don’t get why so many see him as favoured in front of Marriott or Waghorn for that matter 

What none of us know is the personality/influence of the player ...it was widely reported that the squad were tight and had a great dressing room...none of us know the characteristics of the players and whether not playing regularly has an abject effect on the dressing room so hopefully Cocu will keep a small squad with emphasis on team spirit 

Archived