Pre Season Friendly v Sarasota Metropolis

Day

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seem to remember someone on here posting the stats from Cocu's time with PSV about how his team scored the most goals from crosses every season. You could see that already implemented here after just a week of training ..... we must have put in 30 to 40 crosses throughout the match, but the problem is that 95% of them either went straight into the keeper's hands or didn't beat the first man

32 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

There's always one of those guys down the local park who always tries to chat with the boss when a games on.  Played at a good standard years ago, good mates with such & such, please talk to me...  #weirdos 

It’s Billy Bragg.

..last thing we need

27 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

Be interesting to see if we get more Martin and Marriott link up. Only taken Cocu 5 days. But kind of refreshing to see different ideas tried so early on. Does this mean we may break sometimes from 4-3-3?

If that’s the way Cocu wants to play it suits Martin better that Waggy. The deft touches and flicks round the corner will suit Marriott down to the ground. 

Very early days, first game against a very very poor side but the signs are positive. 

Cocu’s post game interview seems to have given some confirmation to previous insight. He's seems to like a 4-2-3-1 with a target man, both something Wags and Martin can play. Have a feeling that's going to be our main one this year with 4-3-3 as plan B. 

Interesting that he's already picked up on the change in role for Marriott to play as a number 10. With the players we've got a 4-2-3-1 would certainly suit the current squad. 

1 hour ago, DcfcJB said:

I never get drawn in on the Martin debate but after watching the highlights and listening to Cocu, I was impressed with him. I think it will be a rotation of him and Waghorn for the number 9 spot with the likes of Marriott playing off them. I can't imagine he will score 20 goals again but if he can slot in when Waghorn needs a rest I'd be happy with him doing what he did last night. Only question is can he do it in the Championship still?

Chrissy is my favourite player and I’ve been called deluded for supporting him when everyone said he was finished. I’m also a realist. Chris won’t score 20 this season, you’re right with that, but if he has enough time on the pitch, he will contribute 20 assists and I can see him bagging 10. 

I also wanted to make a point that he didn’t once go over yesterday. I’m still seeing tweets responding to his excellent performance saying “get over him” or “he’s past it”. 

Sorry but If he’s going to contribute like that all season then I couldn’t care if he’d been a Derby player for 20 years, he has not lost his class or touch. Simple.

sorry Cocu, you could have a real striker headache this season but I’m very excited by it all!

3 minutes ago, DazaDunn said:

Chrissy is my favourite player and I’ve been called deluded for supporting him when everyone said he was finished. I’m also a realist. Chris won’t score 20 this season, you’re right with that, but if he has enough time on the pitch, he will contribute 20 assists

That'd be 6 more than anyone managed this season. 

Nothing like a little bit of hyperbole after beating a Sunday league team 2-0.

Martin makes everyone around him better. He isn't a traditional striker, more of a false 9 who drops into the gap between defence and midfield and threads balls through to on running midfielders or inside wingers. He won't personally score many goals, but he'll create more goals overall by being in the team.

Was super excited to hear that Cocu saw how he could make Marriott a better striker, both playing off each others strengths.

2 hours ago, SaintRam said:

I think he was saying Marriott was the #10, hence the different role.

"We played with two holding midfielders and a number 10, just close to Chris, because he has a good eye on making the runs behind the defence and he's a great finisher."

So, unless he got names muddled, it's a role where Marriott runs past Martin and in-behind - which if you think about it reduces the need for "midfield runners" in a Chris Martin system ? Genius really. It's all so simple.

I have always said Strikers need foils. that can be midfield runners OR shock horror a strike partner not just a co opted half winger

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

That'd be 6 more than anyone managed this season. 

Nothing like a little bit of hyperbole after beating a Sunday league team 2-0.

Ok... I see your point, but by assist I actually mean create, if Chris makes a defence splitting flick through to Waghorn who squares it 5 yards for a Marriott tap-in, it’s waggy’s assist but made by Chris Martin, therefore he will have in some way assisted it. 

4 minutes ago, Shang said:

Martin makes everyone around him better. He isn't a traditional striker, more of a false 9 who drops into the gap between defence and midfield and threads balls through to on running midfielders or inside wingers. He won't personally score many goals, but he'll create more goals overall by being in the team.

Was super excited to hear that Cocu saw how he could make Marriott a better striker, both playing off each others strengths.

He’ll score more than Nugent. Also worth noting he came back and cleared an in swinging corner in our penalty box before running the length of the pitch to then play a role in a counter attack.  

Stayed up to watch it

was like a practice drill were you can’t have more than 2 touches was some great fast passing movement, thought Martin looked decent I’d 1000% keep him has a third striker he hasn’t lost that first touch! 

Full backs for forward well was a good test in humid conditions!

32 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Cocu’s post game interview seems to have given some confirmation to previous insight. He's seems to like a 4-2-3-1 with a target man, both something Wags and Martin can play. Have a feeling that's going to be our main one this year with 4-3-3 as plan B. 

Think you've got this the wrong way around.

Cocu was appointed because he plays 4-3-3, like Lampard did. He's here to build on our style, and he's the man for the job because he's got a track record of playing teams in that style and having success in it. There's no way in hell that he's going to switch us to a 4-2-3-1 from the get-go. That would be counter to everything we've heard coming out of Derby over the last few weeks.

4-2-3-1 might be the back-up system, but under Cocu, it's going to be a 4-3-3 all the way. He said as much in his first interview.

3 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Think you've got this the wrong way around.

Cocu was appointed because he plays 4-3-3, like Lampard did. He's here to build on our style, and he's the man for the job because he's got a track record of playing teams in that style and having success in it. There's no way in hell that he's going to switch us to a 4-2-3-1 from the get-go. That would be counter to everything we've heard coming out of Derby over the last few weeks.

4-2-3-1 might be the back-up system, but under Cocu, it's going to be a 4-3-3 all the way. He said as much in his first interview.

Yeah I'm with you here. I think it's just a case of if being very difficult to field a midfield 3 currently as we are extremely light there particularly with Holmes unfit.

1 hour ago, Cam the Ram said:

I seem to remember someone on here posting the stats from Cocu's time with PSV about how his team scored the most goals from crosses every season. You could see that already implemented here after just a week of training ..... we must have put in 30 to 40 crosses throughout the match, but the problem is that 95% of them either went straight into the keeper's hands or didn't beat the first man

That’s where Ivan Caveleiro would fit in

Archived