Pre Season Friendly v Sarasota Metropolis

Day

1 minute ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

When folk aren't sure whether a player is Huddz, Thorne or ML you know the stream aint great! Looking forward to your rather more on-point summaries at a later date mate ?

Looking back @Nuwtfly seemed to be pretty on the ball, the whole thing was just confused by people getting in before him with misinformation. Folks always looking to be first to bring the update ?

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, SaintRam said:

Looking back @Nuwtfly seemed to be pretty on the ball, the whole thing was just confused by people getting in before him with misinformation. Folks always looking to be first to bring the update ?

@Nuwtfly is clearly not as myopic as some, myself included ? In fairness he was an able substitute but the rest of us, not so much!

Only watched the opening 20 minutes and then the highlights this morning.

Decent run out as although the opposition weren't great, they are mid season so would've been match fit.

Derby appeared to play the way we anticipated. Lots of possession and crosses going in which I like. 

I'd all but given up on Chris Martin but he looked half decent based on the highlights. Played Marriott in on goal a few times which is good to see.

Felt for Mason with that miss, you could see it on his face he was gutted. But what a ball across the box for the chance

Just now, Sweetness34 said:

Only watched the opening 20 minutes and then the highlights this morning.

Decent run out as although the opposition weren't great, they are mid season so would've been match fit.

Derby appeared to play the way we anticipated. Lots of possession and crosses going in which I like. 

I'd all but given up on Chris Martin but he looked half decent based on the highlights. Played Marriott in on goal a few times which is good to see.

Felt for Mason with that miss, you could see it on his face he was gutted. But what a ball across the box for the chance

Well that's what the preseason is for,to sharpen everything up and make your balls ups there prior to the real thing.

2 hours ago, David said:

One of the reasons Cocu was appointed to continue the style of football Lampard played, but to say he was appointed because he plays 4-3-3, I doubt there is any truth in this what so ever.

2 hours ago, Shuff264 said:

The big difference between 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 are the roles of the midfield 3, can see us interchange regularly depending on personnel

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Formation and style are not the same thing. Cocu was brought in due to style rather than formation. Apparently, his preferred formation was previously 433 for his first two seasons at PSV, but then switched to 4231 after. I imagine he’ll go for whichever suits the players available to him at the time.

I was suggesting this because, in his first interview, he literally said he would look to line us up in a 4-3-3. That's the evidence I'm going on and why I don't think there's any chance we'll start the season in a 4-2-3-1.

When I say he was brought in to play 4-3-3, I mean that more in a sense of that he was brought in to play a particular style. The Ajax-type Dutch model that you saw Lampard trying to implement last season. That is done via a 4-3-3. 

Interesting point from @Ghost of Clough on formation and style not being the same thing. I would suggest that they largely are, in the sense that the formation is a product of the style. 

Would point out though that I am so happy with the Cocu appointment that he could literally play whatever formation he wants and I will back it ?

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

57 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

@Nuwtfly is clearly not as myopic as some, myself included ? In fairness he was an able substitute but the rest of us, not so much!

I hope you've both learnt now that I am the number one source on these things... 

larry david television GIF

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

I was suggesting this because, in his first interview, he literally said he would look to line us up in a 4-3-3. That's the evidence I'm going on and why I don't think there's any chance we'll start the season in a 4-2-3-1.

When I say he was brought in to play 4-3-3, I mean that more in a sense of that he was brought in to play a particular style. The Ajax-type Dutch model that you saw Lampard trying to implement last season. That is done via a 4-3-3. 

Interesting point from @Ghost of Clough on formation and style not being the same thing. I would suggest that they largely are, in the sense that the formation is a product of the style. 

Would point out though that I am so happy with the Cocu appointment that he could literally play whatever formation he wants and I will back it ?

oprah winfrey no GIF

11 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Are you seriously saying that (for example) the 4231 that Rowett played, is exactly the same as the 4231 that Cocu used last night? ?

3 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Are you seriously saying that (for example) the 4231 that Rowett played, is exactly the same as the 4231 that Cocu used last night? ?

Nope. I haven't said that at all. Haven't even alluded to it.

What I'm saying is that the formation is a product of style. Rowett's style produced a certain type of 4-2-3-1. One that is totally different to say, Mourinho's 4-2-3-1 in his second spell at Chelsea, or the 4-2-3-1 Germany instilled at the last World Cup they won.

Formation is a product of style. The point I'm trying to make here is that Cocu's style at PSV points directly toward the use of a 4-3-3. 

9 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Nope. I haven't said that at all. Haven't even alluded to it.

What I'm saying is that the formation is a product of style. Rowett's style produced a certain type of 4-2-3-1. One that is totally different to say, Mourinho's 4-2-3-1 in his second spell at Chelsea, or the 4-2-3-1 Germany instilled at the last World Cup they won.

Formation is a product of style. The point I'm trying to make here is that Cocu's style at PSV points directly toward the use of a 4-3-3. 

I don't buy that at all.  I'd go as far as saying that some styles are more tricky to implement with some formations (the flat 442 with possession football mentioned earlier, for example), but beyond that you can basically implement any style of football with any (sensible) formation.  There's no direct link between the two things.  You can play a free-flowing 433 and a free-flowing 4231. Likewise you can play an ultra-defensive 433 and an ultra-defensive 4231.

Style:

Possession focused, or counter attacking, fluid or highly organised, etc

Formation:

The team shape set up

Tactics :

They've got a really shacky full back so we're going to try to get the winger and the full back both running at him down that side They

all intermingle with each other but a style of play can lead to several formations depending on whoes playing it.

6 hours ago, rynny said:

??

Screenshot_20190711-074838.jpg

Mystery solved!

It's Rob Jansen. Football agent (think he might be Cocu's agent?) - works for Wasserman with their Netherlands players.

He represents some very impressive names in Holland: Kongolo, Van Ginkel, Jorgensen, Fer, Van Beek to name but a few...

https://www.transfermarkt.com/wasserman-netherlands-management/beraterfirma/berater/274

On Twitter, he's: @RobJansenWass 

33 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Mystery solved!

It's Rob Jansen. Football agent (think he might be Cocu's agent?) - works for Wasserman with their Netherlands players.

He represents some very impressive names in Holland: Kongolo, Van Ginkel, Jorgensen, Fer, Van Beek to name but a few...

https://www.transfermarkt.com/wasserman-netherlands-management/beraterfirma/berater/274

On Twitter, he's: @RobJansenWass 

Interesting……….Could be laying the foundations for a deal or two maybe? 

Archived