Pre Season Friendly v Sarasota Metropolis

David

Kick off has been confirmed on the OS as 7pm Wednesday 10th July local time, which by my Googling makes it midnight over here in the UK.

I haven’t seen it confirmed yet as being on live RamsTV, maybe if we tag @OwenB87 he can let us know or when the details will be announced. 

I’m sure we have a camera crew on the plane, hopefully they have the dongle thingys that allow us to watch.

As for the game, I think we can safely say this will be Phillip Cocu’s first game in charge and chance to see what he has available.

Should probably expect to see 2 teams, one in each half with a mix of first team and academy players looking to impress.

Think it’s too early to say what we expect him to pick, so let’s go with what teams would you like to see which will give him the best balance and feel for the squad?

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your googling is accurate.

It'll probably be online the next day - takes effort to send something out live and with it being at midnight there'd be little point. But as you say maybe Owen can tell us definitively.

I don't know what number of players are actually travelling, but I'd expect some of the older heads to perhaps sit out altogether if there are enough lads over there. Cocu will likely be most interested in getting to know as much about the young lads as possible, especially the ones who are only there temporarily unless the staff judge they're worth keeping around.

I assume the players who got an extended break will be there in time for this game?

Wouldn't mind seeing us try Marriott and Waghorn up front together but based off of what people have said about Cocu, his favoured formation is 4-3-3, so with that in mind ....

1st half:

Roos

Bogle - Keogh - Buchanan - Lowe

Sibley - Huddlestone - Shinnie

Waghorn - Marriott - Lawrence

2nd half:

Carson

Wisdom - Davies - Forsyth - Malone

Bird - Johnson - Holmes

Bennett - Whittaker - Jozefzoon

That leaves the likes of Butterfield, Martin, Thorne, Blackman and Anya not involved. Most I assume will be on the look out for new clubs

3 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

I assume the players who got an extended break will be there in time for this game?

Wouldn't mind seeing us try Marriott and Waghorn up front together but based off of what people have said about Cocu, his favoured formation is 4-3-3, so with that in mind ....

1st half:

Roos

Bogle - Keogh - Buchanan - Lowe

Sibley - Huddlestone - Shinnie

Waghorn - Marriott - Lawrence

2nd half:

Carson

Wisdom - Davies - Forsyth - Malone

Bird - Johnson - Holmes

Bennett - Whittaker - Jozefzoon

That leaves the likes of Butterfield, Martin, Thorne, Blackman and Anya not involved. Most I assume will be on the look out for new clubs

Think Martin and Thorne will be more involved than you think.

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

Think Martin and Thorne will be more involved than you think.

Can't see it myself. Maybe Martin could replace Nugent and offer something a bit different to Marriott and Waghorn, but I definitely can't see Thorne being involved unfortunately 

2 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Can't see it myself. Maybe Martin could replace Nugent and offer something a bit different to Marriott and Waghorn, but I definitely can't see Thorne being involved unfortunately 

I'd agree if Lampard was still manager, but I think they've a chance of being involved. Cocu will want to see everyone play.

Based on first team training, I wouldn't be surprised if this is who's travelling:

Goalkeepers - Carson, Roos, Mitchell, Ravas

Defenders - Wisdom, Bogle, Keogh, Davies, Buchanan, Malone, Forsyth, Lowe, MacDonald

Midfielders - Huddlestone, Johnson, Shinnie, Thorne, Evans, Butterfield, Holmes, Bird, Sibley

Wingers - Lawrence, Bennett, Jozefzoon, Mitchell-Lawson, Anya

Forwards - Waghorn, Marriott, Martin, Whittaker

As we know, Blackman hasn't been training. The only other possible inclusion would be Knight who may have had extended leave due to playing for Ireland in the summer. Due to the numbers we have in midfield, I expect he'll stay behind.

With it being two games over in Florida, I wouldn't be surprised to see each of the four GKs getting 45 mins each. Same for the four forwards.

Sarasota 1st half: Roos: Bogle, Keogh, Buchanan, Lowe; Butterfield, Huddlestone, Sibley; Mitchell-Lawson, Waghorn, Anya

Sarasota 2nd half: Ravas: Wisdom, Davies, Forsyth, MacDonald; Holmes, Shinnie, Bird; Bennett, Whittaker, Jozefzoon

Bristol: Malone, Evans, Johnson, Thorne, Lawrence, Marriott, Martin to come in for Davies, Forsyth, Huddlestone, Butterfield, Anya, Waghorn and Whittaker

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

I don't know what number of players are actually travelling

Travelling Players: Scott Carson, Craig Forsyth, Richard Keogh, Martyn Waghorn, Tom Lawrence, Florian Jozefzoon, Graeme Shinnie, Jack Marriott, George Evans, Chris Martin, Mason Bennett, Kelle Roos, Max Lowe, Curtis Davies, George Thorne, Jonathan Mitchell, Jayden Bogle, Max Bird, Tom Huddlestone, Scott Malone, Jason Knight, Lee Buchanan, Calum Macdonald, Jayden Mitchell-Lawson, Joe Bateman, Morgan Whittaker.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2019/07/rams-all-set-for-florida-trip

36 minutes ago, David said:

Travelling Players: Scott Carson, Craig Forsyth, Richard Keogh, Martyn Waghorn, Tom Lawrence, Florian Jozefzoon, Graeme Shinnie, Jack Marriott, George Evans, Chris Martin, Mason Bennett, Kelle Roos, Max Lowe, Curtis Davies, George Thorne, Jonathan Mitchell, Jayden Bogle, Max Bird, Tom Huddlestone, Scott Malone, Jason Knight, Lee Buchanan, Calum Macdonald, Jayden Mitchell-Lawson, Joe Bateman, Morgan Whittaker.

Carson, Roos, Mitchell

Bogle, Bateman, Richard Keogh, Davies, Buchanan, Forsyth, Malone, Lowe, Macdonald

Huddlestone, Shinnie, Evans, Thorne, Bird, Knight

Lawrence, Jozefzoon, Bennett, Mitchell-Lawson

Waghorn, Marriott, Martin, Whittaker.

Looks like we're taking Bateman as a RB. For those who don't know, he plays predominantly as a CB, but has played at RB and DM a number of times. Surprised to see Sibley miss out and Knight stepping in. It makes sense for us to keep the numbers at 6 for a 'CM' spot though.

Players missing: Ravas, Wisdom, Johnson, Butterfield, Holmes, Sibley, Anya, Blackman

Ravas and Sibley are probably staying behind to stay with the U23s. Wisdom and Holmes still injured(?). Johnson, Butterfield, Anya and Blackman hunting for a new club?

5 minutes ago, Arsene Titman said:

Who is missing?

Anya

Johnson ( elsewhere on the forum rumoured to be going to Blackburn)

Butterfield ( to Blackburn also? )

Holmes and Wisdom (injured)

Sibley

Blackman

Others?

Think that’s it. Butterfield was already confirmed by the DET not to be flying out to Florida and Blackman won’t be returning to Moor Farm as he looks for a new club. 

36 minutes ago, David said:

Ah cheers David.

So that's 26 players, including 3 Goalkeepers and 6 youth players.

I expect all 26 to make an appearance in the first game to be honest. Some players won't get 45. I'd expect the 6 youths to each get 45 though.

Good to see a few youngsters going on the training camp, always good to get the best talent involved with the first team and integrate them over the trip ready for when they move up to the first team. We knew Holmes was injured after his USA withdrawal, not sure what’s up with wisdom mind. We knew butterfield wouldn’t go and Blackman isn’t anywhere near the squad but no real explanation for Johnson. Interesting one. Ditto with Anya.

3 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Good to see a few youngsters going on the training camp, always good to get the best talent involved with the first team and integrate them over the trip ready for when they move up to the first team. We knew Holmes was injured after his USA withdrawal, not sure what’s up with wisdom mind. We knew butterfield wouldn’t go and Blackman isn’t anywhere near the squad but no real explanation for Johnson. Interesting one. Ditto with Anya.

Wisdom is still recovering from the operation he had at the back end of the season.

Archived