Pre Season Friendly v Sarasota Metropolis

David

Was most impressed with Thorne weirdly there. Looked a lot more confident than we’ve seen in a good while, a good pre season under his belt and we may see the player we always thought we had.

Never expected a goal fest, we barely moved out of first gear, but thought it was a good watch. Appreciate being able to watch it so cheers Sarasota Metropolis

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First thoughts on the unexpected ones..

Martin didn't lose the ball once, made some brilliant passes, pressed their defence and singlehandedly setup both the goals with Devine pass and move routines. The partnership with Marriott looks like gold dust after 45 minutes which means we'll never see it again ?

Thorne looked comfortable on the ball, played some nice stuff, a few bits of sloppiness here and there but he's coming back from some big injuries. A bit of a way to go but can't be written off just yet.

18 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Martin heads over after a lovely cross from George Thorne...

...not sure I ever thought I'd type that, again!

I'd rather type Martin heads IN after a lovely cross from George Thorne. ?

Just now, Andicis said:

Huddlestone I believe.

Dont think it was. He was further forward that Huddz. Think Huddz was 34. I thought it was at one point but huddz passed it forward with a long range quality pass and then someone similar to his stature was neat the ball. Unless Huddz has got very pacey over the sunmer?!?? I hope it is him, if so hes gained some serious pace!!!!!

Very confusing without a proper team sheet with numbers 

Just now, Dcfc_ram said:

Dont think it was. He was further forward that Huddz. Think Huddz was 34. I thought it was at one point but huddz passed it forward with a long range quality pass and then someone similar to his stature was neat the ball. Unless Huddz has got very pacey over the sunmer?!?? I hope it is him, if so hes gained some serious pace!!!!!

George Thorne was 34 I believe. They were wearing their numbers from last year I believe? The pace of the game was just slow, so it made Huddlestone look quicker. I got confused with some of the players too though.

What's Whittaker normally like?

He didn't do a lot right then. For the youth lads these games are there to show that you have all the raw basics. 

That couldn't have gone worse for him. 

Nice kick around for everyone else. Hopefully dusted off some cobwebs and Cocu liked what he saw of our players

I also think Thorne looked like he's got a lot to do to get up to speed. 

He played well. But I don't think we're looking for that yet are we? He looked a little bit heavy compared to Huddz who, as we know by now, is like a tractor in real situations. 

That's ok because it's expected. Was in hope rather than expectation that he'd look a bit quicker. 

Davies looked fresh. Huddz looked like he had fun.

4 hours ago, Alpha said:

He played well. But I don't think we're looking for that yet are we? He looked a little bit heavy compared to Huddz who, as we know by now, is like a tractor in real situations. 

That's ok because it's expected. Was in hope rather than expectation that he'd look a bit quicker. 

Thornes always gonna be slow hes not played a full 90mins in a first team in in about 10 years! Just hope by the end of pre season he sharpens up and gets abit of speed back 

6 hours ago, Alpha said:

There was one point, at about 80 mins, he absolutely steamed into the tackle at RB, thought it was Bateman at first then when won the tackle and saw his number, I couldn't believe it was Thorne. 

Nice to hear Cocu speak about Marriott playing in a slightly different role than he was used to last season - with Martin as a 10 and two DMs. Utilising Marriott’s eye  and timing for making the right run. Looked good in the highlights. Trying not to get too excited, mind. 

6 hours ago, Dcfc_ram said:

Sorry very late to the party watching the last 15 minutes. Who was 44? Was playing behind the front 2 in an attacking midfield role. Was a tall stocky guy. 

6 hours ago, Dcfc_ram said:

Huddlestone was 44, Thorne was 34. If you mean the right winger that was Whittaker. Second half we played a 4-2-4 with the ball and 4-2-3-1 without. 

Archived