Suggestions for the next Derby manager

Just now, Ramos said:

Top 12 for a Norwich team.... is a good finish whether it’s bottom half of the prem or not. What more could he do with them? As for Brighton last season, I appreciate it was negative football but like I’ve said on here before, playing slick attacking football in the prem isn’t sustainable for a team outside the top 6 or 7. After a while it catches up with you one way or another. It did Swansea, it did West Brom and again Brighton is just another one of the clubs that will eventually fall through the trap door one way or another. 

Nigel Pearson did do a good job at Leicester, but he hasn’t replicated it anywhere else. Hughton has had excellent spells in charge of 4 clubs. So yes hughton should have more respect because he has a much better record than most managers in the championship and the bottom of the prem. who would you like next? Cause it really is slim pickings! 

I don't disagree, the wording just seems to paint it out as if top 12 is a real thing, upper bottom half is a good finish for the majority of clubs. Go for cups? Show a little ambition? Just because it's unlikely, means you shouldn't try aim high? Up to 7th is still attainable, even for Norwich. I disagree. Bournemouth seem to be doing fine, with slick, decent football. I can give you examples of hoofball teams that got relegated too. If we were to go up, I'd hate to just go up to watch football like Brighton fans were forced to endure, truely turgid stuff, would rather stay down. 

I'd like us to break the mould and get a manager from abroad. I'd throw away all the washed up old names immediately, of which I consider Hughton one. I'm sure someone more clued up on European football than I has some suggestions that they think would suit us, and play attractive football. Wagner, Farke and Bielsa, just the recent examples of European managers coming in and making a difference.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Andicis said:

I don't disagree, the wording just seems to paint it out as if top 12 is a real thing, upper bottom half is a good finish for the majority of clubs. Go for cups? Show a little ambition? Just because it's unlikely, means you shouldn't try aim high? Up to 7th is still attainable, even for Norwich. I disagree. Bournemouth seem to be doing fine, with slick, decent football. I can give you examples of hoofball teams that got relegated too. If we were to go up, I'd hate to just go up to watch football like Brighton fans were forced to endure, truely turgid stuff, would rather stay down. 

I'd like us to break the mould and get a manager from abroad. I'd throw away all the washed up old names immediately, of which I consider Hughton one. I'm sure someone more clued up on European football than I has some suggestions that they think would suit us, and play attractive football. Wagner, Farke and Bielsa, just the recent examples of European managers coming in and making a difference.

I’m from the same line of thinking as you. If Derby were to secure itself in the prem, I would like us to actual show some ambition and try win a league cup or fa cup. (And I said top 12 cause I wasn’t 100 per cent sure the exact position they finished I just know it’s above there ahah). And yes of course, many turgid teams who play awful football go down but that’s generally cause a) those teams are just poor or b) they’ve resorted to it out of desperation to try and half the slide but the prem takes no prisoners. I take your point on Bournemouth, but I still feel it’s only a matter of time before they lose form, have a struggle and Howe would probably be out the door for a more pragmatic manager. But it would be nice for a team to stick with it and survive, so maybe they will. 

It would be good to go abroad for our next manager, afterall we have never had a foreign manager (excluding Irish). Would be interesting if we could uncover a gem. Will be interesting to see how Huddersfield’s manager gets on now they are out of the prem. 

4 minutes ago, Ramos said:

I’m from the same line of thinking as you. If Derby were to secure itself in the prem, I would like us to actual show some ambition and try win a league cup or fa cup. (And I said top 12 cause I wasn’t 100 per cent sure the exact position they finished I just know it’s above there ahah). And yes of course, many turgid teams who play awful football go down but that’s generally cause a) those teams are just poor or b) they’ve resorted to it out of desperation to try and half the slide but the prem takes no prisoners. I take your point on Bournemouth, but I still feel it’s only a matter of time before they lose form, have a struggle and Howe would probably be out the door for a more pragmatic manager. But it would be nice for a team to stick with it and survive, so maybe they will. 

It would be good to go abroad for our next manager, afterall we have never had a foreign manager (excluding Irish). Would be interesting if we could uncover a gem. Will be interesting to see how Huddersfield’s manager gets on now they are out of the prem. 

We've never had an Irish manager, even. Hell, we've never even had a Welsh one. 

4 minutes ago, Ramos said:

Leicester, Wolves, Watford, Bournemouth, these are the clubs I want to emulate, they've shown real ambition, play the right sort of football, and have cemented themselves in the top flight are all similar or smaller clubs than we are. Go for cups, play progressive football. I'm sure there must be some gems out there, hopefully the club has a list of some managers from abroad they think would suit us, it's probably the last thing left we have to try, we've tried just about every other type of manager. Southampton found a good manager from abroad too, Germany seems to have a wealth of good young managers.

3 minutes ago, JfR said:

We've never had an Irish manager, even. Hell, we've never even had a Welsh one. 

Alan durban - assistant manager.

Not a lot out there, Hughton did a good job at Brighton but think some fans will not like his style, for me Darren Moore should never have been sacked by WBA, would like him to come to our great club if Frank goes, but for me I just hope Frank stays to get the job done he started, but I can understand why he would go to Chelsea, he is a legend there and the fans adore him, so it would be tough for him to turn down.

3 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

I will take the Chelsea groupies if it means the likes of Tomori etc are to return to get us promoted 

Like this season ?  I would kill for promotion but I am / we are Derby county not Chelsea B 

Archived