Suggestions for the next Derby manager

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Always try to hire him as my assistant on Football Manager. Always wants too much in wages ?

He's working for free at the moment.

I'm sure we can match that.

3 minutes ago, The_Mighty_Ram said:

Doesn’t matter which manager we have in, they have to deal with the playing from the back and sort out the midfield conundrum so we need a manager, who has got a real backbone to get the job done and can drive us forward and plays an quick attacking style of play and keeps the consistency and good with tactics and finally get this team to the next level which is through the automatic places. 

It absolutely matters which manager we have. Or would you argue we could appoint Pulis and he'd be fine in playing that way? Darren Moore took the most talented squad in the division to 4th place. Good man, poor manager. It's vitally important we make a good appointment to get the most out of our players.

I'd be disappointed to pass up Hughton for the likes of Monk or Boywer despite their upsides. I'm really struggling to see why he's being played down so much as a suggestion:

09-10: 46 games - 90 goals, 35 conceded - +55 GD - highest scoring team in the league.
11-12: 46 games - 78 goals, 51 conceded - +27 GD - fourth highest scoring team in the league. 
14-15: 22 games - 18 goals, 22 conceded - -4 GD    - saved a team that were in a relegation battle with 3 wins in more than half a season. 
15-16: 46 games - 72 goals, 42 conceded - +30 GD - highest scoring team in the league, finished third behind Middlesbrough on GD. 
16-17: 46 games - 74 goals, 40 conceded - +34 GD - fourth highest scoring team in the league. 

As well as having never scored fewer than 72 goals in the Championship given a full season - a figure we have only bettered twice since our relegation in 2002 - he has two automatic promotions, a third place and a fourth place finish. 

Now, please, tell me again how his negative football will be boring to watch? 

19 minutes ago, The_Mighty_Ram said:

He had unfinished business at Forest got them in the play-offs twice but failed to get them up which he still got a good play-off record and one of the best championship managers to grace the game and he is still only the latest manager to actually managed to achieve to get us promoted so he knows how to get it done at our club. 

Actually 

His unfinished business aka his return finished with him filling the club with hugely over paid crap.. like Greg halford, Jamie Mackie (25k/week), and then Giving massive massive new contracts to the crocked jack Hobbs, Chris Cohen and dexter blackstock, their season  cumulating in them getting smashed 5-0 by us and him getting the boot ... not by Nigel this time either 

unfinished business my arse lol 

if we get another manager in we have to make sure he finally puts a stop to that and changes up the system and gets us playing in a different way to what we normally play and we stay consistent which we need to get out of this tough league. 

So you want us to be consistent, but also change our style of play completely? ? Ignoring that we've had two different styles in two seasons anyway? 

5 minutes ago, The_Mighty_Ram said:

had to deal with the same situation of us having to sort out the same issues of playing out from the back and other teams exploiting our midfield

Playing from the back has no more issues than any other system, and far more merit.

39 minutes ago, The_Mighty_Ram said:

No! he didn’t he got them playing exciting attacking football and was one of the top scoring teams in the division but what let him down was the poor home form. 

They were worse at playing out from the back and defending than we were 

thats quite an achievement 

they did it against us early season and then after Xmas against forest on the tv they were still trying and failing showing he had learnt absolutely nothing 

Just now, The_Mighty_Ram said:

We had different system yes! but did we actually stick to a certain system all season no! and that is why we need to find consistency.

Playing from the back gives us issues unless we play in a diamond formation like we did at Leeds in which they played quick counter-attacking football, we had more of an even balance against them and stopped them walking the park. 

Uh, yes? The last two years, we had the same system for a full year. 

Playing from the back is fine if the midfield aren't static, the one game at Leeds doesn't make the diamond a big solution, it was a short term fix to the fact that we were aware we couldn't get any possession. If we play from the back like better teams have done, we should get 60-70% possession, therefore nullifying the purpose of it.

Despite we beat them 4-1 at their place which showed their poor home form under Darren Moore and one of our best performances, we played under Lampard this season just gone they still were one of the highest goal-scoring teams in the division and if they didn’t have that poor home form they would of been promoted and Moore would still be in the job. 

Lots of ifs buts and maybes there buddy 

the buck stops with the manager over the course of a season does it not 

individual moments and games yes fair enough but a whole season... your poor at home ... that’s on the manager 

perhaps they were so poor at home cos teams new they could sit deep let them have the ball and hit them when the ducked up.

if Moore was that good surely with the talent at his disposal he would have realised this 

but as I say we did it to them early season and forest for lack of a competant ref and that dodgy Dwight Gayle penalty that resulted in his ban did it to them after Xmas 

he learnt nothing 

32 minutes ago, RamNut said:

He's working for free at the moment.

I'm sure we can match that.

Assistant manager for a long time but, since leaving that role in 2017, it doesn't look like he's tried to peruse a career in management?

Why would we chase someone with no ambition for the role when there are people available who are actual football managers? ?

28 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Almost impossible to argue with his appointment at Championship level.

I think it's just the way in which Brighton have played in the last two years in the Premier League that puts people off.

That and the seeming reluctance to play any of the new signings they made, and the quality of the signings in the first place. I mean, why didn't they buy a serious goalscorer to ease the pressure off Glenn Murray?

Maybe @SimonBHA could enlighten us?

13 minutes ago, The_Mighty_Ram said:

Forest was crap anyway despite what players they had, they have struggled for years and way behind us competitively and that day when we beat them 5-0 was just another day at the office. Don’t care what you say about Billy but he is the only manager that has got us promoted since and not one manager has been able to top him.

Forest started that season on fire and capitulated as the season and Billy’s mouth ran away with him cumulating in that fantastic day 

if he’s that wonderful why has he been out of the game for so long ?

no chairman will touch him with a barge poll ... and rightly so 

he’s poison, took us long enough to recover from some of his dross he signed 

Eddie ducking Lewis in the premiership .... do me a bloody favour lmao 

And let’s not go onto Claude Davis shall we 

4 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Almost impossible to argue with his appointment at Championship level.

I think it's just the way in which Brighton have played in the last two years in the Premier League that puts people off.

That and the seeming reluctance to play any of the new signings they made, and the quality of the signings in the first place. I mean, why didn't they buy a serious goalscorer to ease the pressure off Glenn Murray?

Maybe @SimonBHA could enlighten us?

Hughton wasn't in charge of transfers at BHA, certainly what I heard on TalkSPORT anyway. They, like Brentford, seem to have a 'transfer committee' moneyball balls. He will no doubt get an input, but it wasn't like they were able to go spend £20m on a striker and if they did it wouldn't have been his choice anyway. 

I would seriously look at how many players have played their best football under Hughton as well. I'm not talking prospects or kids, but the likes of Duffy, Dunk, Stephens and Murray have all seen their career go strength-to-strength under Hughton's leadership. 

It doesn't always have to be young players making huge strides of improvement, Hughton has shown that in abundance. He is the man that turned Andy Carroll into a £35m England player afterall. 

38 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I'd be disappointed to pass up Hughton for the likes of Monk or Boywer despite their upsides. I'm really struggling to see why he's being played down so much as a suggestion:

09-10: 46 games - 90 goals, 35 conceded - +55 GD - highest scoring team in the league.
11-12: 46 games - 78 goals, 51 conceded - +27 GD - fourth highest scoring team in the league. 
14-15: 22 games - 18 goals, 22 conceded - -4 GD    - saved a team that were in a relegation battle with 3 wins in more than half a season. 
15-16: 46 games - 72 goals, 42 conceded - +30 GD - highest scoring team in the league, finished third behind Middlesbrough on GD. 
16-17: 46 games - 74 goals, 40 conceded - +34 GD - fourth highest scoring team in the league. 

As well as having never scored fewer than 72 goals in the Championship given a full season - a figure we have only bettered twice since our relegation in 2002 - he has two automatic promotions, a third place and a fourth place finish. 

Gary Rowetts Derby County scored 70 goals and were fourth highest scorers last season. That doesnt mean i enjoyed watching his football. I dont know enough about Hughtons teams to make a judgement, but goals scored doesnt really tell us a lot.

6 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Hughton wasn't in charge of transfers at BHA, certainly what I heard on TalkSPORT anyway. They, like Brentford, seem to have a 'transfer committee' moneyball balls. He will no doubt get an input, but it wasn't like they were able to go spend £20m on a striker and if they did it wouldn't have been his choice anyway. 

I would seriously look at how many players have played their best football under Hughton as well. I'm not talking prospects or kids, but the likes of Duffy, Dunk, Stephens and Murray have all seen their career go strength-to-strength under Hughton's leadership. 

It doesn't always have to be young players making huge strides of improvement, Hughton has shown that in abundance. He is the man that turned Andy Carroll into a £35m England player afterall. 

Fair play - can't argue with any of those points! 

Had heard that about not being in charge of transfers, but didn't know whether it was true or not. I've always thought their business since they got promoted was a bit bizarre, Matt Ryan and Pascal Gross aside.

Again, would be interesting to see the thoughts of a Brighton fan on this!

Just now, Penelope Pendrex said:

Brighton fans couldn't stand Hughton in the end, the football was atrocious.

Typed in "Chris Hughton" on YouTube and one of the first things to come up was an interview with fans on the street after he had been sacked.

They certainly didn't give off the impression you've suggested.

Archived