Suggestions for the next Derby manager

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

James Cordon happy hammer, as he gets involved in everything, he has plenty of contacts and can take everyone involved with our wonderful club for a ride in his car for a sing a long. If he's too busy lording it up in America, then Louise Spence for his pinache.

11 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

What did people think when Jim Smith replaced McFarland??? Look how that one turned out.

Given whoever comes in won’t have long to sign players it’s important we get someone with a track record of maximising what they have. Hughton fits the bill from that perspective.

Alex Neil is my number 1 choice, might be tricky to get but we’ll have lots of Lampard compo at our disposal!!

24 years ago, different world. None the less, if Lampard does go then Hughton would be a handbrake style u-turn - He is the ultimate pragmatist, the football will be largely dull and he will not bring through the young players. I cannot see Morris going in that direction.

6 minutes ago, NorwichExile said:

I do wonder if David Moyes feels the need to try and rebuild his career. He played some really good football at times, and was very harshly dealt with at United.

Granted, he's been poo since, but you never know.

I think that this might be the first time that the words 'David Moyes' and 'really good football' have been used in the same sentence.

Fully agreed that he's a good manager but I really don't feel that he'd be a fit for us.

I know that I love a good, long, rambling post (the kind of post that I tend to just scroll past - bloody hypocrite, eh?) but I just wanted to add my two pennies worth.

I think that this (potential) appointment comes at an opportune moment to ask a wider, more existential question about the future direction of travel for the club. Naturally, every appointment we've made and will make will be our 'most important appointment' but this really has to be carefully considered.

I do feel that losing Lampard has the potential to be really damaging for the club if we don't learn the right lessons. Personally, I think that I would find this harder to take than any other time we've lost a manager.

I ask myself - is that because the results have been better? No - it goes deeper than that. For the first time in quite a while, there is a genuine feel good factor at the club. There is a huge bond between the club, the staff, the players, the owner - and the supporters. On top of that, we have established ourselves as a 'footballing' side - to a certain degree, we appear to be putting the WAY we play, at least level (if not above) the results. And while that will cause controversy and at times, frustration, I do believe that it's the right thing to do (up until a certain point, anyway).

We have to get this appointment right - so as not to undo everything that has been done right over the past twelve months. And it leads me to thinking whether we need to look at the wider structure of the club.

I think Mel is fantastic and he is being ably supported by Stephen Pearce now. But do we need to restructure slightly on the footballing side? I remember reading an article about Southampton a few years ago who adopted a certain model under Les Reed. He was appointed Director of Football and, alongside the board, he dictated how the team would play in terms of style and ensured continuity of that. That fed down to the youth teams and ensured that everybody was on the same hymn sheet.

When Southampton sold a player, they had a shortlist of players that they'd been working on for years of those players who could come and replace the departed, playing in a similar fashion. Everything stemmed from a central vision of 'what they were all about' and every decision was taken with this in mind.

And the same thing worked with managerial appointments. Every day they evaluated who would be a good fit, so that if and when the time did come, they had a list of people who would fit their vision. Managers could come and go but could slot in seamlessly. It avoids the problem that we've had of chopping and changing managers who each have a different style and vision.

I recognise that this thread has seen people allude to much of this and how we need to maintain a consistent approach. But I am just wondering if we could be more explicit about it? Is the key appointment a manager, or should we seek to bring in someone to oversee everything else, identify what we want to do and then recruit head coaches in line with that plan to execute it? Alongside ensuring that all our age group sides play a certain way to allow players to move up seamlessly.

This is probably a drastic proposal - but its not a criticism of anyone or how we operate, merely just my opportunity to put my own thoughts into word. Just a suggestion. It would mean that any future appointments were planned, were seamless, and followed the same style. I also think it lends itself to the approach which Mel is rumored to be keen on: appointing young coaches who play the 'Derby Way'.

As for who to appoint: I honestly don't know. None of the aforementioned options particularly fill me me with excitement. I am erring towards a young, up and coming coach as I don't want to undo what has been done this past year - on the pitch, but more importantly, off it in creating the bond with the fan base.

So, basically, I've come onto the next Manager suggestion thread, and not suggested a Manager. I like to play by my own rules ?

55 minutes ago, TibshelfRam said:

I know that I love a good, long, rambling post (the kind of post that I tend to just scroll past - bloody hypocrite, eh?) but I just wanted to add my two pennies worth......

Any chance you can summarise that - afraid I scrolled past it....?

Archived