Suggestions for the next Derby manager

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would highly doubt the Gerrard story.

Would we not approach Rangers, rather than Gerrard? And if it got to the stage of him rejecting us then surely Rangers would’ve allowed our approach, and we’d know about that first.

Wouldn't put too much trust into the Gerrard story. Matt Hughes was the one that reported that the Dubai trip had been cancelled, and the squad were incandescent about it, which the club and Frank denied was the case at all and that such a trip was never even arranged.

12 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Yes exactly... but they’re all unrealistic on that article. We have to understand the level we’re at, which is still the championship! Well only be attractive to sacked prem managers and up and coming managers imo.

What were you thinking - they arent unrealistic apparently. All we have to do is offer them loads of money and they will drop down to the second tier - pep guardiola here we come.

6 minutes ago, Brummie Steve said:

I worked with a lad who drew Foinavon in a sweep for the 1967 Grand National.

He always backed the horse he picked but, the odds being 100-1 he.........

In 1984 the 23rd Fence was re-named Foinavon in honour of the ‘67 winner.

PS 5000-1 on Leicester to win the Premier in 2015-6 anyone?

How about an old blue police telephone box?

I had bet on Foinavon too as an outsider bet.  Think I put half a Crown on lol

He was so far behind the pile up he had time to negotiate his way around and win. 

13 minutes ago, Topram said:

Anyone said anything about the Barnsley manager? Done a cracking job 

Had a lot of success, but I think a large portion of that stems from the "Moneyball" method they implement.

Unless you're going to instil that same philosophy, I'm not sure he'd necessarily have the same impact.

That said, the same accusation was thrown at Dean Smith when we were linked with him while he was at Brentford. He's done pretty well since then...

13 minutes ago, GenBr said:

What were you thinking - they arent unrealistic apparently. All we have to do is offer them loads of money and they will drop down to the second tier - pep guardiola here we come.

I know right, clearly with my understanding of finances I’ll be tossing burgers once I’m out of uni, such is what happens to people who only take the money they’re entitled to according to that other thread. I forgot money grows on trees and ffp doesn’t exist so we can just throw millions at any manager we want. Come on Derby show some ambition, I won’t settle for anything less than Jurgen klopp?

27 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Had a lot of success, but I think a large portion of that stems from the "Moneyball" method they implement.

Unless you're going to instil that same philosophy, I'm not sure he'd necessarily have the same impact.

That said, the same accusation was thrown at Dean Smith when we were linked with him while he was at Brentford. He's done pretty well since then...

Personally want Hughton just not seen him mentioned for he’s worth a shout!

Well with bowyer dropping out of our Potential options almost certainly after signing that new contract (for the best imo) it’ll be interesting to see who else MM is lining up. Bizzare situation there at charlton tho, don’t know their legs from their arms at the minute as to what’s happening at their club. Amazed he’s signed a new deal at that madhouse. Can’t imagine them been well fancied going into next year in terms of their prospects. Particularly with those wages on offer, he’s in the championship now so is surely worthy of the championship millions- tho perhaps not the same level as some of our extortionate wages. Still shows good character by bowyer to stick to the job at hand as he should- will do him well in this business. Certainly puts charlton in a better place than just yesterday being able to carry on as they were. No doubt their fans are certainly calmer today after that bizzare statement yesterday. Who knows what’ll happen to them after a takeover tho, they’ll be hoping for less lunacy than atm.

Can’t say I’m convinced by the stories claiming to know Lampard will be chelseas manager by the end of the week... We haven’t had an official approach yet, until that happens nothing can be moving along. It’s only once that happens that we know where we stand and talks can begin between Lampard and whoever at Chelsea. Can’t possibly know how theyre going to go yet if they happen at all. That said it’ll be good news if that side of things is wrapped by the end of the week if it’s going to happen (90% likely now imo) hopefully then we can get a new man in quickly after and ready for pre season. That said, I’m convinced Chelsea have been looking at other options, even if some are unrealistic, so we don’t know anything for absolute certain yet.

No shock gerrard Would reject any approach from us for the managers job, he’s at a bigger club and bigger job already. No reason at all to drop to this level, as brilliant an appointment as it would be with the job and football he’s playing up there. Preparing for a season in the europa league or championship... tough choice. He’s shown his loyalty there to stay and continue the job and that’s admirable... unlike a certain Gary summat or other. I don’t  believe for a second that any approach has been made mind or that were even considering our shortlist yet, not until that official approach arrives which it still hasn’t! Whoever comes in will certainly have their work cut out mind to keep us in the promotion chase, starting with only a month to complete all the work on transfers etc, all with a tight budget.

Reading more into it, terry has already turned down the opportunity to talk to two championship clubs this summer about becoming a manager, so maybe he’s happy his current job? Don’t think that ones likely to happen, need more options when the time comes- if it comes.

15 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Reading more into it, terry has already turned down the opportunity to talk to two championship clubs this summer about becoming a manager, so maybe he’s happy his current job? Don’t think that ones likely to happen, need more options when the time comes- if it comes.

He's waiting for the right club (Derby obviously) same as Frank turned down Ipswich. ?

His mate Harry probably tipped him off weeks ago that the Derby job was about to become vacant.

Archived