Luke Thomas - joined Barnsley permanently

Slim charles

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Perhaps we do......perhaps we need some funds?

But this is so short sighted. It is possible he could be a really good player and worth so much more. You would sanction that sale just to get 1 million now? He hasn't even played a run of games for us. If Barnsley are offering 1 million, they are willing to gamble that on him... so there is something there. We should just give him a run og games and if it doesn't work out we haven't lost anything. 

We don't always have to sell to raise funds for new signings... that's exactly what got us in this mess. How about we use what we have? 

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

But this is so short sighted. It is possible he could be a really good player and worth so much more. You would sanction that sale just to get 1 million now? He hasn't even played a run of games for us. If Barnsley are offering 1 million, they are willing to gamble that on him... so there is something there. We should just give him a run og games and if it doesn't work out we haven't lost anything. 

We don't always have to sell to raise funds for new signings... that's exactly what got us in this mess. How about we use what we have? 

There is talk that we are losing lots of money, some reports saying in the region of 3 mill a month.....so at some point the outgoings of the club have to be cut. How would you cut the budget?

I'm slightly torn on this one.  In the positives, Luke has pace to burn, frightens defenders, is capable of an end product and has just completed a successful season in League 1.  On the other, when he is played on the right as an inverted winger his lack of a right foot is a handicap.  He's also doesn't have much of a physical presence (in this regard he's the opposite of Mason Bennett) although I suspect that will come with time as his body matures.

So herein lies the problem.  In an open or counter attacking game played on the left he could have a real impact.  But against a team that sits deep and has come to PP to frustrate, he might be too light weight.  This becomes more of an issue if you play him right where any defender only has to show him outside and his threat decreases even further.

For me if he plays next season, it's as an impact sub with an eye to seeing how he develops.  I'm not sure if Luke (or Frank) think that's the best route for either party though.

*I'd also point out this view is caveated on seeing him live three or four times (mostly u23s) and a similar number of games watching Coventry on Sky so may be widely inaccurate. 

Having played a full season in real men’s football I would like to see what he is like in a Derby shirt with other better players than at Coventry - now if Barnsley are willing to pay a reported £1 million then they think he is very good with a large sell on value for them 

sure sell others who can’t get on a football pitch but not one who is actually promising 

I have seen him terrorise teams at U23 level playing on the right and his right foot is not that bad.Would be disappointed if this rumour is true have been a big fan of his potential and was hoping he would get a few first team appearance's this season.

I am hoping this maybe a loan deal which would make sense in terms of his development......but I trust Frank and Jody to make the decisions.

2 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

There is talk that we are losing lots of money, some reports saying in the region of 3 mill a month.....so at some point the outgoings of the club have to be cut. How would you cut the budget?

Buy not selling players who are young, have potential and are on low wages for a start. There are far more high profile players who we should be looking to move on well before this is even discussed. The only reason for selling Thomas, would be if Lampard and Morris don't feel he is up to it, but there is nothing to suggest that is the case.

We do have budget constraints, but we need to do three things regarding the squad.

1. Promote young players who may be good enough.

2. Move on the players who are on high wages and not contributing to the first team.

3. Sign low risk (finance wise) young hungry players to add to the squad where needed. 

James Wilson just released by Man United, I'm not suggesting signing him, but it's that market we should be looking at. Players with a point to prove. Duanne Holmes is another example, albeit different circumstances.

13 minutes ago, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

Buy not selling players who are young, have potential and are on low wages for a start. There are far more high profile players who we should be looking to move on well before this is even discussed. The only reason for selling Thomas, would be if Lampard and Morris don't feel he is up to it, but there is nothing to suggest that is the case.

We do have budget constraints, but we need to do three things regarding the squad.

2. Move on the players who are on high wages and not contributing to the first team.

3. Sign low risk (finance wise) young hungry players to add to the squad where needed. 

James Wilson just released by Man United, I'm not suggesting signing him, but it's that market we should be looking at. Players with a point to prove. Duanne Holmes is another example, albeit different circumstances.

14 minutes ago, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

But surely if Frank decides to sell that suggests he is not in his long term plans ?

6 hours ago, angieram said:

I still prefer Bennett on the wing as he is good at tracking back. This was one of Thomas' weaker points but he could have improved that at Coventry.

I've seen some Coventry fans say that he's one of the hardest working players they've ever seen defensively.

5 hours ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

You been overhearing agents telephone conversations in cafes again?  If so any news on whether this is a sweetener in bringing in either Pinnock or Lindsay.

Haha. It’s definitely true that he’s supposed to be in Barnsley for a medical next week. I know nothing about fees or anything like that though. 

A shame because I enjoyed watching him last summer in the friendlies and by all accounts he was ace for Cov. 

I know he is young & highly thought of but ive seen him play for the first team a couple of times & for Coventry and to be honest I dont see what all the fuss is about with him. He is very one footed, would be easily marked out the game in the Champ and his end product isnt the greatest either. If we are to get 1m for him I would snap the buyers (Barnsley?) hands off and give other youngsters a chance, our u18s attacking players have been on top form this season.

I trust whatever decision Frank & in particular when it comes to youth talent, Morris, make between them.

If the 1m received is spent on someone as talented as Holmes who cost us around 700k then im happy!

How the conversation went in the Gloucestershire Live office a year ago...

"Ere, Bert - Oi bet ee oi can run the zame stooory on that there t'internet foive toimes, an' oi'll 'ook the zame cuppler 'undred o' they sheep faaanciers evry toime".

"Yer on. 'Ow much we avin on it?"

"Point o' zgrumpy?"

"Ar!"

Only seen him once, against notts county last pre season. 

Looked absolutely superb, and it wasnt just his two goals.

Having had virtually no professional first team experience he then goes on loan to a league one club in a bit of a mess  which subsequently just missed out on promotion to our league, being an ever present pretty well. 

Seems a good apprenticeship for being given a proper try out for the first team to me. The idea that he needed  to have scored a hatfull of goals and an equal number of assists for it to be deemed a success is bizarre - he's still very young and needs experience to improve.

Already looks way better than jozefzoon ( in many ways) and is actually a real winger who actually wants to play in that position as opposed to some of  the others who are forced to play that position to fit them in.

Cannot understand the logic of then selling him for a paltry fee and then, no doubt, buying yet more older, pricier players at the expense of the development of our own homegrown youngsters.

1 hour ago, Cam the Ram said:

It's in the same room as when he signed a new Derby contract last year and he's wearing the same clothes so it's probably just another picture from that day and he's doing it to wind people up ?

Having had a look at his Twitter, he's removed the bit on his profile that said something like "player at Derby County" or something as well. Either he's going all in with winding everyone up, or he actually is off and he's just using that image as he doesn't have another one.

Archived