Luke Thomas - joined Barnsley permanently

Slim charles

7 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I am disappointed to be honest as I always like to see players given a good opportunity in our first team - but I wish him well and at least we got money for him!

interesting that this transfer has gone through in this financial year - FFP ? 

When does the financial year for DCFC run from?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TomBustler1884 said:

I heard a wonderful story about Luke that tells me he probably isnt the brightest.

Apparently he was sent on as a sub in a game and told to get on the right hand side, get the ball and run at the defenders.

Luke went on, showed lots of endeavour, lots of running.

Only problem is, he was in the wrong place the whole time. He'd got his sides mixed up and spent the whole time getting in the way on the left.

I thought Rowett told him to play on the left. But he ran over to the right (where he was used to playing for the U23s) before quickly realising (or being told) he was on the wrong side. 

Always sad to see promising players sold. Luke Thomas obviously has talent and was knocking on the door of the first team squad last summer. However, I despair of how often promise fizzles out and we let players go for nothing because their contract has run out and there hasn't been room in our bloated first team squad to have offered them a chance. I'd far rather start taking a (reportedly) decent fee than let players go for nothing.

Thomas works really hard and is consistent. He's fast and has a good left foot. He has a weak right foot and isn't the best finisher given the chances he gets. Because he works hard he'll probably improve and that's good. Had he stayed his career might have started to stall with another loan or occasional appearances off the bench, so I think it's probably a good move all round.

20 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Unfortunately Barnsley have seen Butterfield play 

Yes they did.

When he was one of their youngest ever captains, earned an England u-21 call up, was described by their manager as the best player outside the premier League, and they offered to quadruple his wages before he left to fulfil his dreams of Champions League football and full England recognition.

He left to join Norwich, those champions league regulars, with a tribunal setting the fee, they weren't happy with the initial amount received but played the long game and waited for the add ons from his subsequent moves and international appearances to roll in!

Funny how football works out sometimes!

1 hour ago, Jram said:

I think it should be made compulsory to publicise all deals to fans, especially as football fans are unique in business in the amount they contribute to a club 

Apologies if this makes no sense, I've had a glass of wine 

I can't think of many industries where the customer actually contributes so little.

56 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I thought Rowett told him to play on the left. But he ran over to the right (where he was used to playing for the U23s) before quickly realising (or being told) he was on the wrong side. 

Either way, doesn't paint him in the greatest light!

19 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Notable journos in Yorkshire reckon the quoted fee (came from Gloucester live originally) is nowhere near that in actuality. 

"Local press of the buying club is leaked a lower fee than the local press of the selling club shocker."

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

If you're quoting the market then you must have comparables?

Young wingers, who have not played at Championship level who have moved for £3m

Can’t think of many direct comparisons off the top of my head. I don’t pay enough attention to levels below the championship. But consider how much we payed for nick Blackman who had one half season at this level where he was any good, and we paid 3m for him years ago. I know he’s played at this level with more experience, but does that really cost more than the potential to play higher? Which I think Thomas probably has if he works hard. I think 1.2m is a low figure for what he could do in the game based on what I’ve seen. You can’t just judge players on what they’re like now, you have to look at the future. At 20 he’s got a lot ahead of him

23 minutes ago, TomBustler1884 said:

Either way, doesn't paint him in the greatest light!

I think you’re being a bit harsh. Could have been down to nerves and taking up his usual position on the field. It’s most likely why we’ve been putting our promising youngsters on the bench and even travelling with the first team - just to get used to those situations so it isn’t such a shock when they’re coming on to the field. 

2 hours ago, Carnero said:

I can imagine you being really positive about us paying £1.2m to buy a lad off Barnsley who only had one half decent season in league 1 to his name ?

If he was young like Thomas then I’d be content if he was coming in as backup. The market is ridiculous but it is what it is.

2 hours ago, Carnero said:

Ps. @Millenniumram I'd rather kept him and seen how he gets on in the Championship this season, even loan him to Barnsley perhaps, but £1.2m is a terrific fee in my eyes.

Yeah that’s what I’d have wanted as well, tho I don’t really see the sense in loaning out to the same division sometimes, unless they’re guaranteeing football- May as well give them a go yourself. Fair enough if you’re happy with it, I personally wouldn’t have sold below 2m and would have hoped for more. But hey, not my money. Maybe it was 800k off for his poo facial hair looking at his signing photos.

I know nothing about Thomas. I don't know what his strengths are as a player. I haven't a clue what his temperament is like, if he's a hard worker or not. He might be dynamite in the dressing room, but I'm none the wiser. I have never seen Luke Thomas play football, but let me tell you this...SELLING HIM IS A HUGE MISTAKE, WE'VE BEEN RIPPED OFF, WE WILL REGRET THIS TRANSFER WHEN HE WINS 100 CAPS FOR ENGLAND AND HIS FIFTH BALLON D'OR! #LampardOut 

Archived