Luke Thomas - joined Barnsley permanently

Slim charles

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've been very keen on the Barnsley centre half Ethan Pinnock so it's possible there's a deal being done both ways. While Keogh and Tomori were very good in lots of ways last season, we found it really hard to defend balls into the box. Pinnock is a commanding centre half who's good with his feet. Very classy. But is valued at more than the quoted Thomas fee so who knows.

But football is about wheeling and dealing and making judgements and sometimes selling players you like for all sorts of reasons. Maybe you have lots of cover in that position; maybe the money would be better spent elsewhere? Many youth prospects don't end up quite coming through. We've let Elsnik go for nothing - what a waste. If Thomas wasn't going to play a part next season, then take a 7 figure sum by all means. he academy is good but it costs us a huge amount of money.

18 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

We've been very keen on the Barnsley centre half Ethan Pinnock so it's possible there's a deal being done both ways. While Keogh and Tomori were very good in lots of ways last season, we found it really hard to defend balls into the box. Pinnock is a commanding centre half who's good with his feet. Very classy. But is valued at more than the quoted Thomas fee so who knows.

But football is about wheeling and dealing and making judgements and sometimes selling players you like for all sorts of reasons. Maybe you have lots of cover in that position; maybe the money would be better spent elsewhere? Many youth prospects don't end up quite coming through. We've let Elsnik go for nothing - what a waste. If Thomas wasn't going to play a part next season, then take a 7 figure sum by all means. he academy is good but it costs us a huge amount of money.

Exactly my thoughts. I would like to give him a chance but I trust Jody on any judgement of a young player and If we feel that we can use that money to greater effect then I'd accept the decision totally. If we could find 2 Duane Holmes' for the same price as a Thomas (cost 600-700k, half the rumoured £1.2m we could get for Thomas), or put it forward for a player like Pinnock, who I rate highly, I'd be more than happy. Plus we have wingers in the academy who look good themselves and if the club believes their ceilings are higher than Thomas', giving them the opportunity instead makes total sense.

If it was the other way round and we were buying someone with his experience & stats for 1.2m I dont think many on here would be too happy with that. No doubt we will have a decent sell on % with him too 

If frank & jody cant see him in their plans and the money can be used to go out and get 1 or 2 players then lets get behind their decision!

Looks like the interest is genuine then, but the price Gloucestershire live are claiming is done is almost certainly balls as it isn’t that far along yet. Would’ve been very disappointed in 1.2 mil to be honest , I hope we can get more- or better still not sell him at all and bring him back to play a part next season. He’s has a full season at the level below and the talent I saw in him last preseason says to me he’ll be ready.

12 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Looks like the interest is genuine then, but the price Gloucestershire live are claiming is done is almost certainly balls as it isn’t that far along yet. Would’ve been very disappointed in 1.2 mil to be honest , I hope we can get more- or better still not sell him at all and bring him back to play a part next season. He’s has a full season at the level below and the talent I saw in him last preseason says to me he’ll be ready.

D32BABED-BBDA-4C27-8C07-4B5F15F6D6D2.thumb.png.cff8542bb035350168699a3f02ad4432.pngYeah certainly not done yet, gloucestershire live getting ahead of themselves as usual 

20 minutes ago, Jram said:

Do you work at the club @BagRam?

I'd be disappointed to see Thomas leave, I really thought he'd be a real asset in a year's time after a full season in champo.. Thought he'd be the next big thing from the academy 

No mate that’s from a Barnsley fan off Twitter 

Worth noting that, quality aside, Thomas is supposedly a right Bamford off the field. 

I also don't think his time at Coventry has done a great deal for him. I think we can acquire better wingers than him for the 200k-300k range so it seems like a no-brainer to sell him.

15 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

So did Eric Cantona  

13 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

So did players like Zlatan and Pogba.

So you have to have quality to justify being a bell, otherwise you go the way of all the other bells who aren't very good (usually places like Turkey, or lower leagues).

45 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

So did Eric Cantona  

He justified his arrogance from quality on the field, ditto Zlatan. 

Luke Thomas is 20 years old, with two Championship games under his belt. I rated the lad in his pre season cameo's, but after his missus posted video's of him revealing him to be abit of a ****** online. Then playing our own fans at hinting at transfer targets last summer & now replying to random Barnsley fans re a potential transfer there. I'd bin him off.

The West Ham link must've gone to his head.

He should Google Paris Simmons.

Realistically we have Lawrence, FloJo and Bennett already ahead of him - Plus Waggers plays out there ahead of him too

Out of the guys coming back from loan stints you would have thought only one of Thomas or Mcalister would be taking the step up to the first team squad - Plus there's that lad with the double barrel who came on for a taster earlier in the season and looked a bit tricky - AND we're almost certainly in the market for another winger even if the Wilson thing turns out to be nonsense

So as much as he looked tricksy in pre-season last year I don't know that he'd be getting much game time

Archived