Luke Thomas - joined Barnsley permanently

Slim charles

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

The way the market is now... look at how much forest got for that bereton. Granted he’s played at this division but 8m or something wasn’t it?! Wouldn’t say 3m would be unreasonable for Thomas.

Nobody is paying £3m for a lad who's had one full season in league 1.

I heard a wonderful story about Luke that tells me he probably isnt the brightest.

Apparently he was sent on as a sub in a game and told to get on the right hand side, get the ball and run at the defenders.

Luke went on, showed lots of endeavour, lots of running.

Only problem is, he was in the wrong place the whole time. He'd got his sides mixed up and spent the whole time getting in the way on the left.

8 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

The way the market is now... look at how much forest got for that bereton. Granted he’s played at this division but 8m or something wasn’t it?! Wouldn’t say 3m would be unreasonable for Thomas.

Brereton had played 53 Championship games and was an England u19 international. 

Thomas has played 2 Championship games and had a half decent season in League One.

Don't think we paid much more than £3m for Marriott. 

I'd say £3m would be completely unreasonable and if we were spending that on someone comparable to Luke Thomas I would not be happy.

I'm a little surprised Butterfield wasn't part of the deal. 

£100k for Thomas, £1.1m for Jacob type of scheme would have suited both parties I'd have thought, if they'd fancied Butterfield back that is.

12 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Brereton had played 53 Championship games and was an England u19 international. 

Thomas has played 2 Championship games and had a half decent season in League One.

Don't think we paid much more than £3m for Marriott. 

I'd say £3m would be completely unreasonable and if we were spending that on someone comparable to Luke Thomas I would not be happy.

Is that worth 8 times as much though? When you consider potential as well as current ability? I’m not so sure. Don’t get me wrong I think Blackburn overpaid, but I think we’ve been done a little bit there. Marriott I think we got very cheap, I’d expect 6m normally for a player who’d scored that many in league one. Wonder if it’s to do with his (rumoured) poor work ethic? Perhaps the same with this deal with thomas’ (again rumoured) poor attitude.

I stand by a fee around that would be fair in this market, think people forget how it’s changed. Thought I must agree I’d personally be concerned buying Thomas if I was in Barnsley’s position full stop, big risk when you’ve just come up.

2 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

£100k for Thomas, £1.1m for Jacob type of scheme would have suited both parties I'd have thought, if they'd fancied Butterfield back that is.

Makes no difference if you're thinking of it as an FFP workaround. The £1.2m profit on Luke will offset any loss on sacking off Butters anyway.

Good luck to him, I think he wants to play and this move guarantees him game time.

I'm also happy for Frank to have made the call on this.  Franks's already showed that he is committed to those who are prepared to be selfless and work (and train) hard for the team.  If you expand this line of thinking further, we're also building towards a definitive style of football and if Frank and Jodie don't see where the lad fits then I think we've done the right thing for all parties in selling him.

For the bed wetters, I'd say that Mel can only have sanctioned this sale if he were confident in the fact that the manager for next season felt as above.  The most logical explanation for that is that Frank is staying.

COYR

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Is that worth 8 times as much though? When you consider potential as well as current ability? I’m not so sure. Don’t get me wrong I think Blackburn overpaid, but I think we’ve been done a little bit there. Marriott I think we got very cheap, I’d expect 6m normally for a player who’d scored that many in league one. Wonder if it’s to do with his (rumoured) poor work ethic? Perhaps the same with this deal with thomas’ (again rumoured) poor attitude.

I stand by a fee around that would be fair in this market, think people forget how it’s changed. Thought I must agree I’d personally be concerned buying Thomas if I was in Barnsley’s position full stop, big risk when you’ve just come up.

If you're quoting the market then you must have comparables?

Young wingers, who have not played at Championship level who have moved for £3m

11 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

It’s not just that tho, you pay for potential as well. Hopefully we’ve got some clauses in there (I’m sure there’ll be a sell on clause)

I can imagine you being really positive about us paying £1.2m to buy a lad off Barnsley who only had one half decent season in league 1 to his name ?

I do find the lack of transparency with these deals annoying. I understand that it's not in the club's interests to publicise the deal (clauses, up front payments etc) but I think clubs owe it to their supporters to let them know what the deal entails.. For example, if I knew there was a 15% sell on clause in this deal, I would be back luke to have a great season next year and support him all the way 

But not knowing that makes me not want to support him 

I think it should be made compulsory to publicise all deals to fans, especially as football fans are unique in business in the amount they contribute to a club 

Apologies if this makes no sense, I've had a glass of wine 

37 minutes ago, TomBustler1884 said:

I heard a wonderful story about Luke that tells me he probably isnt the brightest.

Apparently he was sent on as a sub in a game and told to get on the right hand side, get the ball and run at the defenders.

Luke went on, showed lots of endeavour, lots of running.

Only problem is, he was in the wrong place the whole time. He'd got his sides mixed up and spent the whole time getting in the way on the left.

I remember this well!

Rowett told the story at a fans forum I think? It was the QPR game at home during his spell in charge which we won 2-0.

All the best to him. Disappointing he didn't get a chance, but it's a good fee for a player without a league start. It seems like if he could work on his end product then he'll be worth his weight in gold, if he doesn't then he'll be another player in a long line of talented, fleet-footed young players that never reached their ceiling. 

32 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

If he was worth £3m then a top 8 champ side would be after him and we would be absolutely trying to hang on to him.....

Says a lot about his worth for me that only one club were desperate to sign him. 

39 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Unfortunately Barnsley have seen Butterfield play 

34 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

If you're quoting the market then you must have comparables?

Young wingers, who have not played at Championship level who have moved for £3m

Duane Holmes £750k was all you needed to say to confirm that we got a great fee for Thomas

I am disappointed to be honest as I always like to see players given a good opportunity in our first team - but I wish him well and at least we got money for him!

interesting that this transfer has gone through in this financial year - FFP ? 

Archived