Hang Your Heads In Shame

2 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

After cooling down a little from yesterday, I wish it had rephrased the title. It’s a bit dramatic for a game of football.

However, my opinion hasn’t really changed. If I was to write the title now it would be ‘Genuinely Embarrassed’.

Is it true that your main ire seems to be with other fans in the singing section though. Lots of people jumped on your comments and started to have a go at 'daytrippers'(ie women and children), whereas you were clearly criticising fellow season ticket holders, right?

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TomBustler1884 said:

There was a group going down on the train at 730am who were already so out of it that they swore at a women who requested the seats they sat in as she had a reservation, swore at and started fighting each other, then had one who burst into tears after being told by his mate he was ruining the day.

Ridiculous.

Surely were on drugs, no one can be that drunk at 730?

11 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

After cooling down a little from yesterday, I wish it had rephrased the title. It’s a bit dramatic for a game of football.

However, my opinion hasn’t really changed. If I was to write the title now it would be ‘Genuinely Embarrassed’.

I thought it was a thread aimed at the players tbh. ?‍?

4 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Is it true that your main ire seems to be with other fans in the singing section though. Lots of people jumped on your comments and started to have a go at 'daytrippers'(ie women and children), whereas you were clearly criticising fellow season ticket holders, right?

I’m mainly pissed off at those in the singing section, yes. I expected it to be the kind of crowd that goes to away games (not necessarily season ticket holders), which always have good atmospheres, but it was closer to being like the West Stand.

I don’t think the ‘daytripper’ tag is aimed at women and children, but rather those who don’t really care about the club week in week out and chose to come only for the big occasion. I don’t really agree with those who have a go at families. 

Here's my take on things.

I've been going since 1976 & the atmosphere has always been the driving force behind my passion for football.

We couldn't get 4 tickets together in the singing section so headed for the very back of block 524. I'm 52 years old but I just don't like sitting down at football. it just doesn't feel right. If I am forced to sit then I'm up & down like a yo-yo anyway so I know that the back row is always a safe bet for standing.

Everyone was stood up before KO & it was ticking along nicely but a soon as the ref blew the whistle the entire block just sat down. I looked to my left and all the Villa fans remained standing and did so throughout the game. I said to my brother that I didn't like the feel of this and he agreed. Anyway we remained standing, joined in with all the songs & tried getting a few started but it just wasn't happening. We then noticed the amount of empty seats in our end of the ground & felt that something must have gone wrong with the system and that a lot of genuine fans had missed out. The general feeling i got was that it just wasn't going to be our day.

Anyway as the game went on we concluded that the best thing to happen would be to go a goal behind to kick start the team & encourage the substitutions we needed to spark everyone into action. I knew this team had got plenty of bottle and were capable of giving it a go. Everything went to plan, well apart from the 2nd goal, but even then I thought we could still do something.

On came the subs, in goes the goal and it's game on. Everyone's on their feet singing and for the first time in the game i had the feeling we could do it.

Then, as soon as it kicked off again, everyone sat back down & that was it !!! That was the moment that killed it for me. 9 mins to go in the biggest game of the season and we haven't got the energy to push them over the line. With a few genuine exceptions, then surely the pure adrenalin of it all would overcome age, shyness or even superglue on your seat for 9 bloody minutes. I was genuinely gutted but persevered until the bitter end and stayed until the players left the pitch.

Ok, that's yesterday dealt with, now for atmosphere in football overall.

Firstly, I am only a half fan these days so accept that any observations i make are done so without a mandate from the people.

The reason I am now a half fan is because, after many years of solid home & away, I finally gave up on Pride Park. The reason for this was that I simply did not enjoy going their anymore. Over the years it appeared to me that a culture of negativity was consuming the place & it was breeding fast and taking the atmosphere with it. Now I fully accept that you pay your money and you're entitled to watch the game how you see fit and that's not a problem. The thing that galled me was the fact that a large number of fans were quite capable of making noise but only in a negative way. Try and get a song started & they look at you gone out but one misplaced pass and they're on their feet spouting vitriol with the best of them. Then, to top it all, they get up & go home with 10 mins to go, irrespective of the situation in the pitch. This culture just seemed to spread & grow over the years and, eventually, it wore me down. The enjoyment had gone so it's just away games for me now, I'm afraid.

Now the away games can still be good, but again, it appears to me that a culture has developed amongst our singers. It's a culture of pre match binge drinking that creates wonderful atmospheres in the pubs before games but has its own drawbacks. By the time a lot of our singers arrive at the ground their voices are croaking, they are out of tune & by half time, they're asleep. Now, I'm teetotal and can assure everyone that you don't need to be as pi55ed as a fart to create an atmosphere. In fact, more times than often, it can be an hinderence. You will just be halfway through a rip roaring 'We are Derby" when a slurred voice interrupts proceedings with a croaky, out of tune musing about someone called Collymore and kills everything stone dead. I don't think the amount of swearing helps either. Is it really necessary to slip the f word into every song when there are perfectly acceptable alternatives. My opinion is that simple songs, sang loudly are the best and I think that showed with the Villa support yesterday ( and that galls me to have to say ).

Anyway, I've waffled enough so to sum up from a personal point of view and for the reasons stated above:

Pride Park - I'm out for the foreseeable future & with a heavy heart.

Away games - I'm still in by the skin of my teeth & with a glimmer of hope in my heart.

My love of Derby County Football Club - well, that's going to the grave with me.

A final word goes to BurtonRam - keep going lad and don't give up on the atmosphere. I'm relying on you to get my mojo back.

UTR - DTID

Just now, BurtonRam7 said:

I’m mainly pissed off at those in the singing section, yes. I expected it to be the kind of crowd that goes to away games (not necessarily season ticket holders), which always have good atmospheres, but it was closer to being like the West Stand.

I don’t think the ‘daytripper’ tag is aimed at women and children, but rather those who don’t really care about the club week in week out and chose to come only for the big occasion. I don’t really agree with those who have a go at families. 

When season ticket holders were buying, was it obvious where was the singing section and were different blocks available at the same time. If so, it would be obvious not to choose the singing section if you weren't up for standing and loads of singing you'd have thought. My guess is a ticket selling problem though.

I'm not entirely sure how people spot a daytripper. Maybe they are wearing half n half scarves and wear 'first ever Derby' game t-shirts. I think some people see women, children etc and don't like it.

I think we need to reclaim daytripper or at least change the meaning to the onnoxious psshead fans who rarely go to matches.

Just to add another opinion. We came up from Bournemouth yesterday, myself, my son who is 11, and my parents (who are aged 72 and have been ST Holders for over 50 years)....

We had a wonderful day (apart from the obvious result bit). I would agree that the atmosphere died after their two goals which is understandable. Personally I was a nervous wreck and was so down before we scored - if others were like me then I can see why the noise dropped on occasions. Then when we scored the noise lifted again...thought we were going to do it but thin margins as others have said. Just not our day. I don't think we played too badly, could see what FL was trying to do with the team.

My old folks both struggle with knee problems and had to stand all match because others in front would not sit down. Mum had to move seats as she was struggling to manage. However no other real issues apart from that.

On our walk back to the tube I was surprised how our fans were still making noise - all credit to them. No criticism from me. Also a note for the Villa fans - I am sure they were all smug inside etc but they certainly weren't rubbing our faces in it after the match. Thought both sets of fans (that I witnessed) behaved wonderfully

4 minutes ago, Bontddu Ram said:

Here's my take on things.

I've been going since 1976 & the atmosphere has always been the driving force behind my passion for football.

We couldn't get 4 tickets together in the singing section so headed for the very back of block 524. I'm 52 years old but I just don't like sitting down at football. it just doesn't feel right. If I am forced to sit then I'm up & down like a yo-yo anyway so I know that the back row is always a safe bet for standing.

Everyone was stood up before KO & it was ticking along nicely but a soon as the ref blew the whistle the entire block just sat down. I looked to my left and all the Villa fans remained standing and did so throughout the game. I said to my brother that I didn't like the feel of this and he agreed. Anyway we remained standing, joined in with all the songs & tried getting a few started but it just wasn't happening. We then noticed the amount of empty seats in our end of the ground & felt that something must have gone wrong with the system and that a lot of genuine fans had missed out. The general feeling i got was that it just wasn't going to be our day.

Anyway as the game went on we concluded that the best thing to happen would be to go a goal behind to kick start the team & encourage the substitutions we needed to spark everyone into action. I knew this team had got plenty of bottle and were capable of giving it a go. Everything went to plan, well apart from the 2nd goal, but even then I thought we could still do something.

On came the subs, in goes the goal and it's game on. Everyone's on their feet singing and for the first time in the game i had the feeling we could do it.

Then, as soon as it kicked off again, everyone sat back down & that was it !!! That was the moment that killed it for me. 9 mins to go in the biggest game of the season and we haven't got the energy to push them over the line. With a few genuine exceptions, then surely the pure adrenalin of it all would overcome age, shyness or even superglue on your seat for 9 bloody minutes. I was genuinely gutted but persevered until the bitter end and stayed until the players left the pitch.

Ok, that's yesterday dealt with, now for atmosphere in football overall.

Firstly, I am only a half fan these days so accept that any observations i make are done so without a mandate from the people.

The reason I am now a half fan is because, after many years of solid home & away, I finally gave up on Pride Park. The reason for this was that I simply did not enjoy going their anymore. Over the years it appeared to me that a culture of negativity was consuming the place & it was breeding fast and taking the atmosphere with it. Now I fully accept that you pay your money and you're entitled to watch the game how you see fit and that's not a problem. The thing that galled me was the fact that a large number of fans were quite capable of making noise but only in a negative way. Try and get a song started & they look at you gone out but one misplaced pass and they're on their feet spouting vitriol with the best of them. Then, to top it all, they get up & go home with 10 mins to go, irrespective of the situation in the pitch. This culture just seemed to spread & grow over the years and, eventually, it wore me down. The enjoyment had gone so it's just away games for me now, I'm afraid.

Now the away games can still be good, but again, it appears to me that a culture has developed amongst our singers. It's a culture of pre match binge drinking that creates wonderful atmospheres in the pubs before games but has its own drawbacks. By the time a lot of our singers arrive at the ground their voices are croaking, they are out of tune & by half time, they're asleep. Now, I'm teetotal and can assure everyone that you don't need to be as pi55ed as a fart to create an atmosphere. In fact, more times than often, it can be an hinderence. You will just be halfway through a rip roaring 'We are Derby" when a slurred voice interrupts proceedings with a croaky, out of tune musing about someone called Collymore and kills everything stone dead. I don't think the amount of swearing helps either. Is it really necessary to slip the f word into every song when there are perfectly acceptable alternatives. My opinion is that simple songs, sang loudly are the best and I think that showed with the Villa support yesterday ( and that galls me to have to say ).

Anyway, I've waffled enough so to sum up from a personal point of view and for the reasons stated above:

Pride Park - I'm out for the foreseeable future & with a heavy heart.

Away games - I'm still in by the skin of my teeth & with a glimmer of hope in my heart.

My love of Derby County Football Club - well, that's going to the grave with me.

UTR - DTID

Come back mate, we need you.

28 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Surely were on drugs, no one can be that drunk at 730?

Yeah, a lot were. My little cousin went for a dump in a random pub toilet near Covent Garden on the way to the tube again,  

He was taking ages so went in to make sure he was alright. Group of 18 year olds shouting throught the door at him to hurry up when i got in there (only 1 (cubicle). Took me about 2 seconds to realise they wanted to do lines. So gave them all a gobful. None wanted to give me abuse.

Rams on grams stickers everywhere.

Plus the Villa lot over the netting all seemed coked up too. Typical of a night out where I live in Grantham though. Most are coked up and out for a fight on a Saturday night. Police just drive past.

Sat on the halfway line and the villa fans as a whole were much louder from the off. We seemed to struggle for the songs to spread and barely any got round to us. We seemed nervous and expectant of what eventually happened. Tbf I thought a fair few fans stayed behind to clap Lampard and the team. Disappointing that we didn’t give what was a villa side by no means on song more of a game. 

6 minutes ago, Ramos said:

Sat on the halfway line and the villa fans as a whole were much louder from the off. We seemed to struggle for the songs to spread and barely any got round to us. We seemed nervous and expectant of what eventually happened. Tbf I thought a fair few fans stayed behind to clap Lampard and the team. Disappointing that we didn’t give what was a villa side by no means on song more of a game. 

I stayed behind with my son (despite his tears) as I wanted to to applaud the team and FL. Also, my son adores Harry Wilson and Mason Mount so he wanted to say goodbye to them. Was pleased others did also.....

Had a bit of water in my eyes as well, not sure where that came from!

Went prior to them lifting the trophy however, that would have been too much! 

33 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

You do realise that there are as many drunken loutish singers that only turn up for the big occasions as there are those that don’t stand and sing but want to sit and watch the match with friends and family when they only turn up for the big occasions ?but they ok ? Somehow better ?

I was in block 113 singing my heart out most of the lads round me were to pissed/drugged up to stand up without holding onto each other bet they can't even remember the game most of the middle aged fans and families seemed to be the only ones sober enough to get behind the team,the daytrippers are more groups of lads who go out to drink as much as they can abuse as many people as they can and then spend the whole game trying to stay on their feet , on the plus side none of them seemed to have the strength to break a seat and throw it at our own fans.

13 minutes ago, Fraser_23 said:

Fighting in the stands as well. All in 511 with police kicking people out. Proper brawl as well. Heard there was also one outside the ground at the end. 

Absolutely embarrassing. Should be ashamed 

Are you talking about mixed, or dcfc only? 

Around the city, the Derby fans were really loud and in good voice. And there were at least 75% of us singing in 521. The issue with Wembley (and I don't know if this is a valid excuse), but the sound gets lost a lot in the upper sections. Could not hear a single thing that the lower sections were singing. 

The thing with Villa was, they were just singing the same song over and over, which doesn't have any words and is just a tune. Much easier for people to join in with if they can only hear it faintly. 

Archived