Hang Your Heads In Shame

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yawn. These kind of threads are tedious. Atmosphere was a bit meh where I was, probably for a few reasons. But, ultimately, if you want to sing, then sing. If you don't, then don't. Admittedly, if you bought a ticket in the singing are and wanted to sit down on your hands, then more fool you. I like to stand and I do like to sing. But one thing that really ruins it for me is how judgmental a lot of our fans are of others. Just chill out and grow up. "I'm a better fan than you" is such a boring conversation, so is moaning about day-trippers, without whom we would have not sold out and would have had empty seats (much worse in my opinion). It brings a kind of negativity that ruins big days for me.

Anyway, already given this thread 100x more of my time than it deserved.

In Block 526, on about 60 minutes, a bloke who had been getting drunker and drunker lobbed a bottle that nearly hit a kid and flew across a whole row of Derby fans. Angry parent of the kid got up and thumped him in the back as the drunken man started to scuttle away down the stairs. The parent went after him, not sure if he found him.

Stewards came up about ten minutes later to speak to the parent but once they were told what had happened (but almost the whole row) they quickly left him alone.

Couldn't believe what I was seeing.

On 26/05/2019 at 17:25, DcfcJB said:

This is hard for me to write but my brother passed away this week, he lost his battle with depression and I found him. Just prior to his death he bought tickets to this game with my Dad and myself. After a much debating we have decided to go. I'm struggling to ask but it would mean the world to my Dad if there was someway that it could be marked at the game... it may feel like he's with us there. Maybe even to chant his name in the 27th minute... Grant Burkey he was 27. 

I know its quite late in the day and I'm prepared for it not to happen but to here his name echo around Wembley for a minute would mean everything.  

Thank you. 

Where was everyone on 27 minutes, there was no more than a few hundred up on their feet on 27mins to show our respect. 

So those calling for people to “hang their heads in shame” think did you stand with the rest of us in support of our fellow Rams whom are suffering right now ????????????? 

For that I was annoyed, not at the alleged silence from the fans. 

Heart felt condolences are sent to Keith and his family at this tragic time. 

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

In Block 526, on about 60 minutes, a bloke who had been getting drunker and drunker lobbed a bottle that nearly hit a kid and flew across a whole row of Derby fans. Angry parent of the kid got up and thumped him in the back as the drunken man started to scuttle away down the stairs. The parent went after him, not sure if he found him.

Stewards came up about ten minutes later to speak to the parent but once they were told what had happened (but almost the whole row) they quickly left him alone.

Couldn't believe what I was seeing.

I saw that, ginger bloke. Not sure who he was aiming at but he soaked a load of Derby fans with p1ss warm lager. 

Think he was aiming for the Villa fans but in his drunken state miss judged it by about 30 seats. Not what you want when you've just gone 2 nil down. 

4 hours ago, SaffyRam said:

Well, having supported Derby home and away for over 40 years, that is probably the last away game I’ll ever go to, thanks to the behaviour of some of our own fans, one little gobsh1te in particular. You aren’t a better fan if you stand up and I shouldn’t have to defend my dad, who’s in his late 70s, because he can’t stand up and sing for the whole damn match. He’s a season ticket holder and has been following Derby for over 60 years.

If you can’t take your beer, don’t drink it. I’m still more upset about this than I am about the result.

I had the same issue, sat in 3rd row (couldn't get front row) but several giants infront sat down initially but then stood up everytime we got the ball past halfway ? asked them politely if they would mind sitting down as the elderly couple behind couldn't see, and couldnt just jump up every 5 minutes.... "yeh yeh alright alrihht" was the response I got....

This was followed by a twit in a blue shirt at the end of the row turning around and shouting at the whole block that we should all.stand up for the whole match and we are all ducking Bamfords if we dont....this is the block immediately next to the family section.....if you want to stand then get a seat at the back or go in the singing section....??

The behaviour of those individuals almost ruined my sons day, his first trip to Wembley, luckily we had some very lovely ladies and gents around us that created a happier atmosphere in our small section of the block. 

14 minutes ago, Shorty389 said:

I had the same issue, sat in 3rd row (couldn't get front row) but several giants infront sat down initially but then stood up everytime we got the ball past halfway ? asked them politely if they would mind sitting down as the elderly couple behind couldn't see, and couldnt just jump up every 5 minutes.... "yeh yeh alright alrihht" was the response I got....

This was followed by a twit in a blue shirt at the end of the row turning around and shouting at the whole block that we should all.stand up for the whole match and we are all ducking Bamfords if we dont....this is the block immediately next to the family section.....if you want to stand then get a seat at the back or go in the singing section....??

The behaviour of those individuals almost ruined my sons day, his first trip to Wembley, luckily we had some very lovely ladies and gents around us that created a happier atmosphere in our small section of the block. 

Which block were you in?

It was definitely a mixed day atmosphere-wise. 

Firstly, the good bits - loud outside the ground and there were plenty who started singing on around 70 mins-ish when the game looked lost. It did make me feel proud showing that defiance.

Although its not reasonable to expect everyone to be singing & jumping around, what confused me were the large numbers of youngish lads who had clearly been drinking most of the day but were pretty much mute. I was in block 508 (back row) and had a group of 4/5 lads in front of me, who were absolutely steaming & seemed fond of hitting the seats early on (to the alarm of older fans to the side of them). They then proceeded to sing absolutely nothing throughout the entire match. Same observations apply to a larger group around 20 seats to the left of me.

Said lads left around 82/83 mins, we scored & then they ran back to their seats to wave their arms around a bit (still silent) and then left around 89/90 mins. Just bizarre.

As a general point, I've often noticed crowd noise at Wembley for many clubs can be very changeable & songs that do get sung are really generic - simply because like minded fans are often scattered all over the show & heavily diluted by occasional fans/daytrippers who possibly don't have the same level of passion & don't know that many songs. I'd also like the club to take another look at allocations for these kind of games - season ticket holders should absolutely have first dibs but there should be a level in between that & general sale, where fans need to have purchased tickets for X amount of games that season (ideally 10+). Can't remember if the season ticket holders were split too but season ticket holders + regular away travel should absolutely have first priority.

On the topic of fan support and both sets behaving themselves on the whole villa were definitely let down by the moron at the back of block 212 did anyone else encounter villa fans in our end ? He was in club Wembley at the back and sole aim was to goad and wind up our fans by celebrating, chanting and gasping at their missed chances. 

On at least 4/5 occasions in the 2nd half a number of our fans were climbing chairs to get at him and attempting to climb the small wall with scuffles kicking off kids present in the stand aswell.

Security were beyond incompetent after countless warnings to the villa fan would still take no action and when questioned responded ‘ he has paid a lot for a ticket, ? any other ground in the country behave like that in the wrong end and you’re out do Wembley have different rules ... blatantly ignoring the safety risks. 

To top it off not condoning our fans climbing seats but he then tried to say ‘we were winding him up’ whilst in the wrong end ?! 

Must have missed total 10-15 minutes of the 2nd half whilst this continually went on completely avoidable if proper action was taken 

9 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

It was definitely a mixed day atmosphere-wise. 

Firstly, the good bits - loud outside the ground and there were plenty who started singing on around 70 mins-ish when the game looked lost. It did make me feel proud showing that defiance.

Although its not reasonable to expect everyone to be singing & jumping around, what confused me were the large numbers of youngish lads who had clearly been drinking most of the day but were pretty much mute. I was in block 508 (back row) and had a group of 4/5 lads in front of me, who were absolutely steaming & seemed fond of hitting the seats early on (to the alarm of older fans to the side of them). They then proceeded to sing absolutely nothing throughout the entire match. Same observations apply to a larger group around 20 seats to the left of me.

Said lads left around 82/83 mins, we scored & then they ran back to their seats to wave their arms around a bit (still silent) and then left around 89/90 mins. Just bizarre.

As a general point, I've often noticed crowd noise at Wembley for many clubs can be very changeable & songs that do get sung are really generic - simply because like minded fans are often scattered all over the show & heavily diluted by occasional fans/daytrippers who possibly don't have the same level of passion & don't know that many songs. I'd also like the club to take another look at allocations for these kind of games - season ticket holders should absolutely have first dibs but there should be a level in between that & general sale, where fans need to have purchased tickets for X amount of games that season (ideally 10+). Can't remember if the season ticket holders were split too but season ticket holders + regular away travel should absolutely have first priority.

JUST an observation from the side lines, how many do we have in this mythical singing section  would 6000 be a reasonable guess so yes maybe next time the club could specifically sell a singing block for that number.But you definitely cant call a 60/70 fan who have watched the Rams 40/50 years an occasional fan/daytriipers that is a disgrace they probably know more about football than  an 18/25 year old who has spent 2/3 hours in the pub before hand,i am not criticising anyone who did that i am just trying to show we have supporters who vary and not that one type are superior to any other

13 minutes ago, Antonedcfc said:

Seeing no Marriott or Waghorn starting probably dampered everyone's mood, It certainly did mine. I wasn't confident at all when i seen Bennett starting up front ?.

How can this have been a surprise? It would have been a very weird decision following that Leeds game to make any changes other than those forced on us.

5 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

JUST an observation from the side lines, how many do we have in this mythical singing section  would 6000 be a reasonable guess so yes maybe next time the club could specifically sell a singing block for that number.But you definitely cant call a 60/70 fan who have watched the Rams 40/50 years an occasional fan/daytriipers that is a disgrace they probably know more about football than  an 18/25 year old who has spent 2/3 hours in the pub before hand,i am not criticising anyone who did that i am just trying to show we have supporters who vary and not that one type are superior to any other

Yep people need to get real and see beyond themselves  and trying to force what they want on others ,

by get real I mean actually look at the numbers ie how many fans does the south stand hold? Is it totally full of singers/standers ? ,what’s our average away attendance and how many of those are singers/standers ? 

What would the number be 1000? This myth created that we have thousands wanting to stand and it’s a minority spoiling it for them is bolox,

the whole end stood all game at Bristol away ,how many of those stood because they are given no choice because if you don’t you don’t get to see the game ,simple as that 

as stated in other posts the attitude is a disgrace, I’m nearly 60 now ,spent years standing on the pop side and Ossie end but though I stand at vital points like most and I still sing at times I don’t want to be forced to stand all game or told how to be a Derby fan by kids that are there for a piss up with their mates in an environment that gives them excuse to behave like knobs 

39 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I'd also like the club to take another look at allocations for these kind of games - season ticket holders should absolutely have first dibs but there should be a level in between that & general sale, where fans need to have purchased tickets for X amount of games that season (ideally 10+). Can't remember if the season ticket holders were split too but season ticket holders + regular away travel should absolutely have first priority.

It shouldn't be difficult - allocate tickets based on where your season ticket is. If you're South Stand take the assumption you're going to want a sing along, if you're West Stand you're going to pack a travel rug. Everyone else should have a fan ID so they have a record of where you prefer to sit. Tell online sales where you have put people so they can go with like minded souls. Then you know and takes you pick accordingly.

Oh, and while I'm at it - let's park this bat poo crazy 'day tripper' theory (not at you @LeedsCityRam - just doing a 2 for 1 rant). For anyone other than an away games member you're a day tripper given this was not a home game so less of the high and mighty 'I go to every home game'. For others, who go to between 5-10 home games a season it's not like their seat at Pride Park is empty every other week - someone else sits in it who also only goes 5-10 times a season!

So, for us, it's perfectly achievable to have 40,000 fans who go to around ten home games a season. That is not, by anyone's definition, a load of day trippers, it's basic maths.

Archived